Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8' Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8' Boat

I am thinking of building an 8' boat out of fiberglass. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or opinions on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Double it.. Sounds really small to me, but what do I know?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bk12900 View Post
    I am thinking of building an 8' boat out of fiberglass. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or opinions on this?

Unless u build a mold, that fiberglass is mighty flimsy.

I built an 8 foot r/c boat onetime that had a dummy fishing in it. Worked too.

You can "how tos" online. Blueprints and all.

Google boat blueprints up. Might find somethin ya want.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

buy a plastic tracker , i have one with a 5hp the baby cooks thru the water.not fun on a windy day on big water.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of work, but very satisfying when complete. I have built several fiberglass canoes, and the only way to go is to build a wood frame so you can lay down the glass blankets over it, then paint on the resen.

Post Thanks / Like

I too had a 9 foot Sportsman boat but it's **** on a windy day and really not much more than a toy. BPS has them as do many other places. i SAY NO WAY.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-10-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gave away a 9 ft mold for one last year. If I still had it, You would be set. Are you talking about the 8ft boats like the Alumacrafts they fish out of in Sardis? If so and you get them built right. I think they will sell great. I know I'm still looking for something like that to fish the back waters with my self.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Unless u build a mold, that fiberglass is mighty flimsy.

I built an 8 foot r/c boat onetime that had a dummy fishing in it. Worked too.

You can "how tos" online. Blueprints and all.

Google boat blueprints up. Might find somethin ya want.
    Thanks. I'll look those up. I have a mold, just trying to figure out what to do next.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can build it. I have seen guys build some small boats for duck hunting that worked very well. The learning curve on the first one is always the longest. Take your time and plan everything out and you will do great. It sounds like you already doing a good job planning. Good Luck and keep us posted with how you are doing. Sorry I am not much help but I am all about projects and tackling something you have never done before. I think it pushes you and is very rewarding. Hope it turns better than you expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LipJerker View Post
    I think you can build it. I have seen guys build some small boats for duck hunting that worked very well. The learning curve on the first one is always the longest. Take your time and plan everything out and you will do great. It sounds like you already doing a good job planning. Good Luck and keep us posted with how you are doing. Sorry I am not much help but I am all about projects and tackling something you have never done before. I think it pushes you and is very rewarding. Hope it turns better than you expected.
    Thanks. As soon as I can get one built, I'll post a picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast