Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hardy and Deam's Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hardy and Deam's Lake

Has Hardy lake been over fished? I plan on heading up there as soon as the ice thaws. My neighbors seem to thing that both Hardy and Deam have been abused for too long. I just bought my fist 14' boat and plan on hitting the smaller lakes this year. I'm new to fishing so any advice about the lakes in the southern half of the state would be appreciated. I'm from New Albany.

Post Thanks / Like

Deam lake has good crappie pop. u just have to find them, Patoka lake to me best lake for numbers and size in indiana, never been to hardy lake

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ken about Patoka being the best, it just takes alot time finding your own honey holes there because its so big. I have caught some nice crappie at Deams, but don't fish there very often. I am heading to Hardy the last weekend of March for the first time, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Never fished Deam's but I fish Hardy quite often, (live 3 miles away) This year should be good for crappie and bluegill on Hardy. The crappie are starting to get some good size and the bluegill and redear have been good the last several years (at least for me) I fish patoka a lot also and at least the last couple of years have caught mostly small fish, however last year was catching them around 8 and 9 inches so this year should be a good year. I think Patoka is probably the best and I hear a lot of good size fish are caught there but I don't know the lake that well and usually only fish a couple of areas. Hardy was also stocked with stripers and wipers a few years ago and I saw a couple last year that were pushing 15 pounds or better.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

How's the muskie fishing at Hardy ??
    14 foot boat. I don't think I'd take it out on bigger lakes. You'll feel like a bobber all day long bouncing up and down.
    I'd kind of stick with gravel and strip pits that are electric motors only, and no jet skiers.
    I've heard some very good things about DeLaney Lake Park. Also, your near-by the Ohio river and should be ok if you stay around the bank. Some mighty big blue and flathead catfish come out of that river every year !
    I'll look around on some of the topo maps for your area and see if I can find you a few other places as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to forum and just retired last year. I am looking forward to more time in checking Hardy out this spring. I've had some really good crappie catches there in years past. I laughed about 1028's comment about jet skiers....as I was down at Hardy one march and much to my chagrin...there was a guy out on a jet ski with his wet suit on ...kicking up a bunch of waves on the fast side of the lake. Jax, you might also look into John Hay...( Salem's water supply lake ) it is near Delaney which is between Salem and Brownstown off SR 135. You need a yrly permit to launch there from city of Salem. Delaney has an entrance fee of around 3 - 4 bucks I think, but is a beautiful little lake with trolling motor only regs. These 2 are not that far apart. But definately give Hardy a shot... I think it is a great crappie lake.
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1028 View Post
    How's the muskie fishing at Hardy ??
    14 foot boat. I don't think I'd take it out on bigger lakes. You'll feel like a bobber all day long bouncing up and down.
    I'd kind of stick with gravel and strip pits that are electric motors only, and no jet skiers.
    I've heard some very good things about DeLaney Lake Park. Also, your near-by the Ohio river and should be ok if you stay around the bank. Some mighty big blue and flathead catfish come out of that river every year !
    I'll look around on some of the topo maps for your area and see if I can find you a few other places as well.
    Never tried for the muskie. Really don't hear that much about them. Have seen a few pictures but that's about it.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from New Albany also and I would recommend John Hays for some big bluegill and really nice crappie. I've caught some nice 15-16" on minnows in later part of April. You will need to purchase a permit from the city of Salem and they have raised the fee this year to $20.00 and out of state to $25.00, but it is an electric only lake and is a really nice lake.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get the permit from Salem, try Salinda Lake on the south side of Salem too, the permit is also good there. I have caught alot of crappie/bluegill/redear out of there, all of nice size. It is also a trolling motor lake, but easy to navigate. Also caught quite a few nice cats by accident!