Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new moon or full moon?

dave12345 Guest

Default new moon or full moon?

I have been crappie fishing nearly since the time i could walk, but have never tried it at night. I am planning a trip to Jordan Lake in the next few weeks to float lights in standing timber as well as around some bridge pilings and structure. Is there a difference in the bite from the moon phase? It would make sense to me that it would be easier to attract baitfish to a float light on a new moon since you don't have to compete with mother nature's light. Is there any truth to this? Thanks for any responses you might have. Any other night tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had much better luck for any fish with a new moon. Seems like the darker the better. I have always liked overcast as well.

dave12345 Guest

thats kind of what i figured. do you have any preference when it comes to lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default moon phases

You are right the new moon is a lot better time to go night fishing. I use 2 lanterns and 2 green drop lights. 1 of each on each side of the boat. Me and my wife and my son did make a trip to Toledo Bend last weekend (2-3 days after the FULL moon and did manage to catch the biggest crappie we have caught up there. (1-15" and 2- 13" and 15 more that were between 9 and 12 inches.)
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

New moon no doubt. Mother nature is providing her own dinner light with a full moon in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't fish the full moon you're missing half the best fishin of the month. As far as the moonlite detracting from the ability of a fishing lite to draw bait there are a coupla things to keep in mind. First is that the fishing on either full or New moon is just as good a day or 2 before and after as it is on the main event. Sometime in that time frame it is liable to be cloudy, negating the effect of the full moon's lite.

Second--the moon often doesn't come over the horizen til after sundown resulting in a period of relative darkness. If your lites are out and you attract bait before the moon rises the bait will stay with you. Third--you can sometimes set up in an area next to a high bank that will put you in the shadow from the moon lite until the moon is nearly overhead. Last full moon I was in the dark water til 11pm.

I try never to miss fishing the full moon.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with kunes two to three days after full moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    If you don't fish the full moon you're missing half the best fishin of the month. As far as the moonlite detracting from the ability of a fishing lite to draw bait there are a coupla things to keep in mind. First is that the fishing on either full or New moon is just as good a day or 2 before and after as it is on the main event. Sometime in that time frame it is liable to be cloudy, negating the effect of the full moon's lite.

Second--the moon often doesn't come over the horizen til after sundown resulting in a period of relative darkness. If your lites are out and you attract bait before the moon rises the bait will stay with you. Third--you can sometimes set up in an area next to a high bank that will put you in the shadow from the moon lite until the moon is nearly overhead. Last full moon I was in the dark water til 11pm.

I try never to miss fishing the full moon.
    Will fishing underneath a bridge be considered fishing "no-moon" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moon

I am 68 years old and have fished all my life. The fish do bite better when the moon is between new and full no matter how you fish.
    Small Minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Small Minnow
    I am 68 years old and have fished all my life. The fish do bite better when the moon is between new and full no matter how you fish.
    Small Minnow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast