Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower unit repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit repair

Had a chunk out of my lower unit since I purchased it. Decided to do a fix on it and will share my technique here in case anyone else has a problem similar.

This is what I started with

I took my trusty Dremel and ground the surrounding area so that my "patch" would fit flush and have something to bite into

For my "patch" I used a piece of expanded metal lath that I hammered as flat as I could get it, then cut to shape.

I put some tape on the inside to make a "release" for the epoxy, then a piece of semi-rigid plastic sheet behind that to hold the curve.

Partly fill the area with JB Weld, set the patch in and add more epoxy

I then covered that with more tape and added heat from a lamp to slow down the epoxy from setting to quick in the cold shop.

Let set a few days, then remove tape, sand and fill in any low spots with body filler and you end up with this.

Its a strong fix and cost me a few bucks for epoxy.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job!!! Are you planning on painting it?? Thats a great repair you did...and with the expanded metal should be stronger than before. Just like putting rebar in concrete.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

nice job ,good ideal
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great and a great idea. Like to see it when a man uses his head for something other than a hat rack. Good job. Billy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

man thats nice, wish i would have seem this a few months ago. same thing happened to me and i finaaly found a foot and just replaced the whole thing. your one smart cookie! GREAT JOB!!!!