Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for fly rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for fly rod

Never picked up a fly rod in my life. Wanting to try 1 on a open stream nothing real big. What type am i looking for? An line? I know nothing about this kinda fishing. So take me to fly school guys.

Post Thanks / Like

This subject has come up before, so if you search the archives, you will find several threads discussing it.

Do NOT get a super cheap, $20 outfit from Walmart. It will just frustrate you. The cheapest outfit I would consider is a Scientific Anglers combo. You can usually get one for $60-$70. That includes a rod, reel, and fly line.

Bass Pro's Hobb's Creek outfit is decent. They retail for about $110, and you can frequently get them on sale for $80 or $90. Again, that includes a rod, reel, and fly line. Cabelas also has some excellent entry-level outfits. Their "Three Forks" outfit is a good one.

A five or six weight combo between 8' and 9' is a versatile outfit to start with. It will easily handle bluegill and trout flies and will also handle small bass flies.

I would also suggest getting a casting lesson from a good instructor. If that's not possible, get a casting DVD. Some names to look for are Mel Krieger, Joan Wulff, Lefty Kreh, Doug Swisher. Larry Dahlberg has an excellent bass/panfish video that covers everything.

Also, check out FAOL. They have a great "fly fishing for beginners" section.

www.flyanglersonline.com

And here's a thread from another fly site discussing this very thing:

http://www.itinerantangler.com/cgi-b...num=1231163661
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 02-08-2009 at 07:01 PM.