Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dell memory question again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dell memory question again

I found some memory locally from a private party. When I check online for my dell dimension 8100 they list PC800 memory. This private party has pc600 memory. will it work???
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Robbor ...

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    I found some memory locally from a private party. When I check online for my dell dimension 8100 they list PC800 memory. This private party has pc600 memory. will it work???
    According to this site, they will : Dimension 8100 Memory - Upgrade Dell 8100 Dimension Computer Memory

... cp

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless Dell did something new with their boards memory has to match bus speeds or it will not work. Contact Crucial and see what they say, they are the experts.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Right you are, Backto ...

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie View Post
    Unless Dell did something new with their boards memory has to match bus speeds or it will not work. Contact Crucial and see what they say, they are the experts.
    I was under the impression that Robbor was going to "replace" his current memory, rather than add to it. (sorry if I was wrong)

If you have pc800's ... your best bet would be to add more pc800's.

Depending on how old the system is, you could have pc600's ... since pc800's were quite expensive at the time of that system coming out. But, if you do have pc600's ... then adding more pc600's will improve your performance.

Now, as I understand it, if you have pc800's ... and you add pc600's ... it will still work, BUT ... the pc800's will drop their speed down to pc600's. ( dell 8100 ram upgrade [Archive] - [H]ard|Forum )

This is what I wanted Robbor to see, when I posted the other link :

.................................................. .............................................
    Maximum Memory 2GB
    Memory Expansion 4 sockets (2 banks of 2)
    Memory Comments PC600/800 RDRAM RIMMs. Memory modules must be installed in matching pairs.
    CPU Type 1.4GHz Intel Pentium 4
    Model Comments 400MHz FSB, Intel 850 chipset

Memory Upgrade for Dell Dimension 8100 Computer:
    The Dell Dimension 8100 Computer takes the PC600/800 RDRAM RIMMs. Memory modules must be installed in matching pairs. Memory Type, and comes installed with 128 MB (removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your Dell Dimension 8100 Computer to up to a maximum of 2GB Memory, the system has 4 sockets (2 banks of 2) to install Memory, already with 128 MB (removable) standard Memory installed. For best Computer performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Computer.

.................................................. ...........................................

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks ALL

I was not sure what i was going to do about the memory either add or replace based on available slots. Ive never tinkered with memory. I bought some used 512 from a guy and it really helped. His memory was PC800. When i tore into the tower (lots of dust bunnies) the 256 that was in was already PC800 and I had 2 empty slots so I just added the 512. So now I have 768. I was expecting the origional memory to be PC600 but???. I guess there is still alot more about computers i need to learn. So i have a few computer topics to look into still but im much better.
    Thanks for the link crappiepappy, it turns out PC600 is slower memory than PC800.
    I got my 512MB of PC800 for $30 so im happy.
    Last edited by robbor; 02-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking I bet it did perk your system up

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    I was not sure what i was going to do about the memory either add or replace based on available slots. Ive never tinkered with memory. I bought some used 512 from a guy and it really helped. His memory was PC800. When i tore into the tower (lots of dust bunnies) the 256 that was in was already PC800 and I had 2 empty slots so I just added the 512. So now I have 768. I was expecting the origional memory to be PC600 but???. I guess there is still alot more about computers i need to learn. So i have a few computer topics to look into still but im much better.
    Thanks for the link crappiepappy, it turns out PC600 is slower memory than PC800.
    I got my 512MB of PC800 for $30 so im happy.
    AND ... periodically, you need to open that tower case and blow out them dadgum dust bunnies :p ... they can cause your system to run hot, overheat, and even crash (btdt )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crucial doesn't have your memory at this time

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...08100%20Series

Check the memory Store

http://www.memorystore.com/product.a...+ECC+Kit&qty=2

or you can check Best Buy or Stapels (As they both carry Dell computers now)

Fatman
    Last edited by Fatman; 02-13-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink He's already got it ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Crucial doesn't have your memory at this time
    Check the memory Store
    or you can check Best Buy or Stapels (As they both carry Dell computers now)
    Fatman
    he purchased the third party RAM :

"I got my 512MB of PC800 for $30 so im happy."

.... cp