Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coyote at my door act 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coyote at my door act 2

Saturday, loaded all the new electronic calling stuff, rifle and some breakfast makings in the truck and headed for coyote country....the anticipation was pounding in my chest as I set the e-caller up in my deer tower and loaded the rifle....the sun was just coming up and it felt like opening day for ole mossy back......cranked up the coyote/fox fight at full blast.....surprising how loud things are early in the morning....I could hear the fight unfolding and the echo on the trees made it sound like half dozen foxes being torn up by equal number coyotes.....well it didn't take long.....I first heard him walking in the woods....the worst place.....right behind me fifty yards in the rear....I eased around and looked over my shoulder and waited....he came to about 60 feet of me and stood there behind bramble and cedars....wouldn't come any closer...shifted the e -caller to a mouse squeak and still just stood there.....then it started....his howling and barking with that familiar coyote howl started my heart to pounding as I waited on him to come on in...I slowly reached for the rifle and caught movement on the front right side of my blind.....another coyote...a big one at least 50 lbs standing in the clear about 70 yards to my right.....eased me and the rifle in that direction ...got caught moving and he took off for the woods....got the rifle up and when the crosshairs connected with his shoulder....pulled the trigger...saw a limb in the scope explode about 30 feet out from the rifle nose.....ouch!!..turned back to the one behind me and he was hi-tailing it for the back forty.....sat there with gloom and doom feeling for about 10 minutes....got down...loaded the gear on the 4 wheeler and went to the cabin for breakfast........breakfast in the wild is really good after a good hunt.......not bad after a not so good one either....I'm learning but them coyotes sure can put the edge on.........
    Edit/Delete Message

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a Pm.

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about getting into coyote hunting. Can anyone tell me best caliber for gun? Opinions on best gun make, model?

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good flat shootin rifle. Like a .22-250, .243 or a .25-06 all good calibers to choose from.

Here is a couple coyotes my boys and I shot last week when the snow was on. I love callin them coyotes. The rifles the boys shoot are Youth model Savage .243

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiextreme -
    How about a 223? Also, do you know if there's a big difference between the 223 and 22-250? By the way, nice picture of the coyotes!! Your young guys had to be in heaven!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default .223 and 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
    Crappiextreme -
    How about a 223? Also, do you know if there's a big difference between the 223 and 22-250? By the way, nice picture of the coyotes!! Your young guys had to be in heaven!!
    The only difference in the two is the size of the case they are the same calliber. The 22-250 will shoot flatter.
    I have owned several 22-250's and .223's. I currently own a .223 Thompson Center Encore. It shoots sweet. But I plan on getting either a 22-250 barrel or .243. I'm in no hurry because of my boys rifles. Not that the .223 is not enough I just like the others a little better. And I got a reallly good deal on this .223 barrel for my Encore so I could not pass it up. Thats what I like about the Encore, you can buy one gun and several different barrels for less money than buying a new gun.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Default calling

ive been calling for over 10 years. 223 and 22-250 are the cartridges of choice. Id really recommend starting out with a tall bipod also. Also stick with some sort of caller, i find them much easier than hand calls epically in brush and close quarters situations.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Default coyote guns

Have any of you ever heard of a .225 winchester. Bought one 1969. shoots about a flat as a 22-250. still reloading for it. Hurts the dogs....
    USS TICONDEROGA CVA14 VA52 1960-1963

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

come to Oregon for coyotes we used a 22 -250 also 243 and the 270 I ban hunting coyotes for over 40 years I have trained three government honors out to hunt coyotes in calling techniques we used the open read call most the time we do not use metal type read calls they are not high enough pitch for me where I live in eastern Oregon we are surrounded by plenty of coyotes is nothing to go out and call for five in in the morning anytime of the year best to you guys on your coyotes

www.bobsjigs.com