Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what is safe ice???

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is safe ice???

Coast Guard: Fishermen trapped on Lake Erie ice
    February 07, 2009 3:30 PM EST

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Several hundred people were trapped on a slab of ice about 8 miles wide that had broken free and floated away from the Ohio shoreline of Lake Erie, the Coast Guard said Saturday.

Coast Guard Petty Officer George Degener said several ships and helicopters from Toledo and Marblehead were sent to rescue the people from the ice floe.

Degener said there were no reports of injuries, but WTOL-TV in Toledo said one person was taken to a hospital after falling into the water.

He said about 35 people had been rescued by 1:30 p.m., some three hours after the break was reported.

Authorities said fishermen apparently used wooden pallets to create a bridge over a crack in the ice so they could go farther out on the lake. But the planks fell into the water when the ice shifted, stranding the fishermen about 1,000 yards off shore.

Ice on western sections of Lake Erie is up to 2 feet thick, National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Randel said. He said it started to crack as temperatures rose above freezing this weekend and wind gusting to 35 mph pushed on the ice.

Ice fisherman who regularly visit the lake have said this winter's thick ice has lured more people to the lake this year.

Ohio Division of Wildlife spokeswoman Jamey Graham said the state annually warns fishermen that there's no such thing as "safe ice."

Post Thanks / Like

you would think you would be safe how ever i believe this happens often. I seen a show earlier this year on TV were more people were going out in air boats just for this reason.

kind of crazy uh

Post Thanks / Like

just seen it one the news, they said one person dead

Post Thanks / Like

Go onto ohiogamefishing.com and look at the lake erie reports in the forum. The people who went out did not use very good judgement IMO! They were using wood planks to cross a 2'-5' crack to get further north onto the lake with 25-35 mph south winds at their back and 45 deg temps. I feel very sorry for the family of the person who died. I myself do not fish erie on ice, I stick to the smaller inland lakes and reservoirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read about this in the Sunday paper, and the Weather Channel was even talking about it. Feel sorry for the guys family.

Post Thanks / Like

What is safe ice? an oxymoron!
    I have been an ice angler for 40 years so I know ice can get you in many different ways without the right precautions!
    What is in my bucket today?
    http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Rrrrrr...I am on the lake, and thats all the crappies need to know!

Michael Thompson
    Gem Kids Fishing Camp and Club
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as safe ice. It's all about risk management. When my wife and I were riding motorcycles, we knew the risks we were taking and did our best to manage those risks to minimize the chance of injury. Ice Fishing is no different. Know the risks and manage them to minimize the chance of injury if you fall through.

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Skeeter.......Don't think you can say it any better than that!