Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No-Hang Fish Habitats

Wardy Guest

Default No-Hang Fish Habitats

I just bought several of these spheres and wish to share a few experiences about them.
    First they are very expensive. Before you buy them, understand the additional PVC is gonna cost you about the same as if you bought the kit. The cheapest pvc I found was .69 fo a 10 footer. 69 plus tax, plus travel...cutting.... glue..etc..etc..., plan on about 25.00 +++ a sphere.

Assembly was more difficult than first thought. 1/2 inch pvc did not fit in the socket. I had to shave them to get them in. Be careful not to shave too much. The pvc will fall out. Make sure you use pvc glue.. not general purpose cement. You may want to cut the pieces to 4' instead of 5' apeice. The weight of 5 footers puts stress on the sphere. I have had to repair one sphere as it split in two. Another helpful hint.... Assemble them on the water... If you try to put one in the boat.....Good Luck!!!

Hmmmm how do I anchor one ? Measure distance of sphere to ground with the pvc connected. generally around 4.5 ft. Any shorter will compress the legs and add more stress on the shpere. A decent brick will carry them down.

So far it has been alot of work and expense. Not so sure there isn't a better way. In fact.. I am sure there is a better way. I took a 4" -10' piece of PVC Sewer pipe - $4.50. cut in 3. cut 6 holes on each. ran the 10 pvc though the holes. No shaving.. glue.... etc.... total cost per unit was less than 6.00.. shop and compare. Results were a unit that is cheap, snag free. puts plenty of vertical, adjustable, and will last.

Check with the local laws before putting them in...

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

WARDY

sure sounds like you got a work out---let us know how they work out
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the spheres myself and they were a real pain to put together. The quality isn't that great either.
    I tried the attractors from J&J Habitat--much easier to assemble and a breeze to anchor. I'm already catching fish around them.
    try this website : J&JHabitat.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default PVC Crappie Tree

I found these pictures in the Fall 2003 Crappie World Magazine. I have tried to describe what these look like and now to build them.

It's easier to just show the pictures of the guy that showed Crappie World how to make these.

I didn't scan the article just the pictures showing the basics.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Moose1am; 07-29-2005 at 03:22 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.jandjhabitat.com/crappie_tree.php
    this is what you talking about. would be easy to build
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a cheaper way to make crappie condos. Get a 12 qt. dish pan (from walley world $.97) 40 lb bag of qiikcrete ($1.97 at lowes) Go around town to construction sites and pick up discarded pvc (plumbers& electrical). Mix the concrete in the pans and put 5 to 9 pieces of pvc in at different angles. The pvc is hang proof. Then remove the pan for another time. Hope this helps.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

krappiekrazy good ideal. Now where did you put them all? I know in the water..LOL
    I may have to make up a bunch for The Tn end of Pickwick. And make sure I mark them with my GPS..
    Pete

Wardy Guest

Default no hang's

I have made several of the PVC tree's with the 4 inch sewer and 1/2 inch limbs. Anchored them in 5 gal bucket with cement Cost was around 10.00 a tree. Got some looks at the ramp with that stuff in the boat. The funniest I have seen was a guy who had an old spring matress and shoved lathes in the springs. I have not fished any yet so time will tell.

Ahhh creativity!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy
    I have made several of the PVC tree's with the 4 inch sewer and 1/2 inch limbs. Anchored them in 5 gal bucket with cement Cost was around 10.00 a tree. Got some looks at the ramp with that stuff in the boat. The funniest I have seen was a guy who had an old spring matress and shoved lathes in the springs. I have not fished any yet so time will tell.

Ahhh creativity!!!
    I know of a dock that has a old box springs tied to the side of the dock. It does hold some good fish and serveral of my jigs...lol!
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose1, I have the magazine that those pictures came from and I have a question, One of the pictures shows the guy filling up a 3' section of pipe with cement, I am very confused as to how he attached that pipe to the rest of the tree. If I understood the article right, that 3' piece of pipe was cut from the 10' trunk section. My question is: how do you re attach the short cement filled piece to the main section of the tree?
    Thanks for yours or anyone else response.
    Bob G
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast