Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: prop qquestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default prop qquestion

i have a 1989 mercury 60hp on a cajun 16ft fish and ski... (my crappie boat lol.

my question is i dinded the prop last fall on the boat launch when i forgot to trim the motor up when i pulled out with the truck .

i tried to pound the fin back in place and did pretty good but still lost top end and got a little vibration .

my question is what prop should i go with ?

don't really have the money for a stainless so it has to be alum. but 3 blade 4 blade cupped un cupped what do i pick and what size ?

sorry for all the questions but would like to get it right the first time ....

thanks,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all a prop shop can make your old one just like new. That would be the cheapest way out. If you really want to prop your boat correctly, we need to know what size prop you have now and what are your RPMs at WOT (wide open throttle). As far as 3 or 4 blades, a 4 bladed prop will give you a better hole shot and a 3 bladed prop will give you fastest speed. Here again RPMs at WOT are very important. When you are running higher or lower than the manufacturers recommended RPMs you are loosing power. Thats the short version. Here is a much better article. About Boat and Marine Propellers (props)
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

if its vibrating do not use it, in the end it will cost you more than its worth, will ruin your lower unit.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys will take a look and get it fixed before the ice melts.
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland