Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In-Fisherman Crappie article

Post Thanks / Like

Default In-Fisherman Crappie article

This month there is a very interesting article in In-fisherman with its main theme being a touchy subject to crappie anglers and something I believe needed to be covered in a national magazine to be widely read. The subject is catch and release crappies and the effects of over harvesting breeders from trophy waters. Its a very well written article and I hope many read it.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us that don't have the magazine yet, in summary what were the writer's conclusions?
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I support catch and release, Be doing so for years now. There is no way I could eat all the fish that I catch, Not bragging , But when you fish once a week or more , Thats alot of fish. I dont like to clean more than 10 fish at a time. I have not read the article yet. I maybe getting a head of the real meaning of the article, but I though I would throw my two cents worth in.
    Last edited by Countryboy N.C.; 02-06-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i support catch & grease when i am hungry or if some friends or family wants some fish ,but the rest of the times i catch & release
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

I catch, release, hold, cull, filet, and eat. It all depends on the day I had. If I never caught a fish to eat, what's the purpose? To spend tons of money to go fishing and never eat what you catch? My freezer is always going to have some Crappie in it, and when it's low, I'll stock it up again. Those that do catch and release always, thanks, that gives me a chance to land them.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Itl's not so much as Catch and Release as to the size you keep. Self imposed size limits are good nothing under 10 inches should be taken if you want good fish in the future. I too am a catch and release guy as I do fish 3-4 days a week and could not eat all the fish i catch .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    The subject is catch and release crappies and the effects of over harvesting breeders from trophy waters.
    The key word here is breeders. Thats talking of larger fish capable of recruitment, not the smaller fish. I read the article, but again this goes against most state regs that have only a minimum size limit and let you keep all the big-uns. It is my belief that there should be a slot size for keepers, something like between 9" and 13" but would depend on the indiv. lake. I fish some lakes for bass that have this system in place and there are some BIG bass in there. Only problem is that it would cost states alot of money that isn't there right now to keep up with new regs.

I practice my own limits (size & #'s per year, not per day) that change between lakes I fish, and wish more fisherman would do the same. Overall point is, we all have to be responsible to enjoy any given lake for years to come.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the article, and was very informative.
    If you have chance should pick up a copy and read it
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I try not to keep anything under 11". If I see an older person, couple or some youg fishermen, I check to see how they are doing. If not so well, I will give them the fish I have kept. Cleaning fish is not my favorite thing to do. Also, if a fish is gut hooked and above 10", I will keep.

I have seen to many fishermen, both on the bank and in a boat, keep 10"(questionable) fish. I would like to see more of us impose a minimum size limit of 11" on our selves and if you have some fish in the freezer, do a catch and release or share with kids who do not have boats yet. Who knows, it might give them an incentative to work, get a boat and stay away from drugs.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Well for most of the year catch and release is a good thing, but on Toledo Bend from I think, Dec. 1 through the end of Feb. you must keep all crappie with no consideration to size. I think this is because of the Chicken Coop where they catch them in big numbers and deep, like 40' down and the Texas Parks & Wildlife think they will not live anyway so it is a must keep time for 3 months.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast