Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on rigging a night light to attach to battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on rigging a night light to attach to battery

I read In the night stalking article that he uses clamp on lights with the regular wall plug in and adjusts it to have the clamps to attach onto a battery. My main question is: Is there an adapter that fits this job or am I going to have to do some wiring ( which i'm not good at) Trying to get my boat rigged up just running into a few probs. Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Default clamp on lights

All you need to do to convert "wall plug lamp" into "alligator clamps 12volt" is attach the alligator clamps and use a 12volt bulb.

To attach the clamps first nip off the wall plug. Then split the 2 wires and strip about a 1/2 inch of the ends of both of them. Attach the positive and negative alligator clamps by crimping the exposed wire into the clamps with some pliers. Then wrap electrical tape to secure in place if you feel necessary.

Then all you need is the right bulb. You want a 12 volt incandescent. I had to get mine at the local hardware store because Wal-Mart did not carry them. (I guess that was my local business good deed for the day). But any 12 volt bulb will work.

Hope this helps,

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    I read In the night stalking article that he uses clamp on lights with the regular wall plug in and adjusts it to have the clamps to attach onto a battery. My main question is: Is there an adapter that fits this job or am I going to have to do some wiring ( which i'm not good at) Trying to get my boat rigged up just running into a few probs. Thanks for any help
    because i have two lights going to one battery, i used a extension cord with a regular plug in to plug the lights in and then at the end of the extension i put a couple clamps to hook to the battery. i dint do no special wiring. just run the drop to the battery with the clamps and plug the clamp ons in the other end that had several outlets.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, i just still dont see how you clamped a reg plug to a battery with just clamps. Thats neat though that you plug the regular lights into an extension cord then just hook the extension into the battery, neat idea. How long do you usually night fish for? All night or just till say midnight or 1ish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Thanks for the help, i just still dont see how you clamped a reg plug to a battery with just clamps. Thats neat though that you plug the regular lights into an extension cord then just hook the extension into the battery, neat idea. How long do you usually night fish for? All night or just till say midnight or 1ish
    0n most nights we usually knock it off around midnight to one, as most guys i fish with usually have commitments for the following day so they need to get some sleep. i dont fish on the weekends if i can help it, cause of all the annoying water lice you gotta tolerate. all you gotta do to put the clamps on is cut the 110 plug off the end of the wire, spread the wires a few inches and then put a clamp on each end and presto, you got a set of wires you can hook up to a battery...
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I have rigged most all my fishing lights and most other things I have that run off 12V with reg house hold 110 plugs even my batteries are rigs like this, oh yes my battery charge also. I use a reg 3 prong 110 plug. The ground part is not hooked to any thing use it to keep from pluging the lights in backwards.
    When I first rigged this way I was trying to save money from having to buy a onboard battery charge. I have all 3 of my batteries wired with a different color 12 guage outdoor wire. I also use a 3 way tee outlet for more places to plug into.
    bad thing I can not use my lights if I go fishing with someone in there boat.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

make you a adapter. use a cheep short extenchion cord and cut the male end off and put gator clips on it
    retired and now i will always fish