Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do you rig two jigs or minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you rig two jigs or minnows

I am new here but have been reading on and off for a good while now. I live in east Texas and mainly fish minnows but have made it my endeaver to learn how to better fish for crappie. I really want to learn to fish well for crappie year round and use jigs as well.

I want to learn the best way to rig two jigs or minnows at different depths on a single line. I tried to search but didn't come up with anything and probably didn't use the right terms. I have done it before by jestdoubling up my line at a given depth , pulling out a foot or so, and tying a overhand knot in it to get some extension but it never works to well and ends up a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this video. Derek explains it about 4 or 5 minutes into the video. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Free "Midwest Crappie" TV Show|MyOutdoorTV.com|Free Fishing Video - MyOutdoorTV.com

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the link did not take you directly to the right video. When you open the link, find the segment titled "Clarks Hill Trolling".

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that is similar to how I have been doing it. Figured there had to be a better way.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 4869
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

In the summer I use one jig and one minnow as that is the only time I ever use minnows. I tie a pretty large jig on the bottom, 1/8 or 1/4 oz. and then I come up about 18" or so and tie on a #1 or #2 Drop Shot Hook (Gamakatsu). This lets the minnow run around as the hooks are small thin wire and the jig on bottom is enough for the weight as well as bait. I call it bait & weight.

Fact is I catch most of the larger fish each time on the jig (like 80% of the time).

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the rig made famous by Capps & Coleman.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. This may give you some ideas.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

For trolling using two curl tailed grubs, tie a swivel on the end of your line, then on the end of the swivel tie two light line leaders about 3 to 4 feet long. Now, thread two light jigs with curl tail grubs, as you thread them on, make one with the tail facing to the right and the other with the tail facing left. Tie one jig on each leader and troll. You will need to experiment...I'd start with one sixteenth ounce jigs and 1.5 inch grubs....if they don't spread out on the troll, use lighter jigheads....if they don't go deep enough, go heavier or use large grubs. Again, you may have to tinker to get them to spread, but it's a neat way to fish two at a time. I use 6 pound line for the leaders, but am going to get some 4. In murky waters or heavy weeds, wacky rig one of the jigs to create more commotion.
    Last edited by macon123; 02-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.