Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: OMC Tilt & Trim Button (Throttle)

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC Tilt & Trim Button (Throttle)

My tilt and trim works on the motor and on the front of the boat by the trolling motor but I can't get the one to work on the throttle. Help.... I don't have a lot of moneyand need to fix this myself. Is it something that can be done or will it need to go to a repair shop? How do I do it if I can? Where would I get the parts?
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You either have a bad connection in the handle or a bad switch. The switch would have to come from the dealer but sometimes you can find them on Ebay. Its not too hard to fix but you need to take the lever apart first and determine if its wiring or the switch. I've seen some people just mount a SPDT (mom on, mom off) switch on the dash and just tap into the harness.
    Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 02-05-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be bad switch or wiring....depending on the condition of the control box and age of it. I have taken apart some before that were working...but the wiring would scare you!! If you have ever taken one apart you know the wiring and such on the inside of it makes some of the sharpest bends and turns i've ever seen for wire. I have seen quite a few fray.

Like IBNFSHN said....if its the switch...which it probably is....get a different switch...not the dealer replacement. You have alot of options. I would get one on the steering wheel, like the one from bass pro....

Teleflex Pro-Trim

These are MUCH safer..this isn't the one I was looking for...there is one that mounts to the steering wheel itself...and just has two buttons on it. Works just as well...and is cheaper. Before I paid for dealer parts to fix the control box I would just disconnect the wires for that switch and add something that would be better and safer. Just my opinion.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like to me that your switch on the handle has a loose wire. There is a blue wire (trim up) and a green wire (trim down) the other wire is +12V. Check it out. A lot of times they make a wire joint somewhere close to the handle. Most of the time the front trim switch is tied to the handle wires close by.

Good luck
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer