Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mr. Baker and other SI users

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. Baker and other SI users

Got a buddy on the Illinois board, brianlg, who's considering a Humminbird SI unit. Probably a 797 but he likes the 1197 better -- cost is obviously an issue.

Mike, I know you have the SI and wanted to get your thoughts on it. I know there are others here on the MO board that have them and I'd welcome your input, as well.

What do you like/don't like? Are they worth it? I've read/heard about some GPS issues with the units and wasn't sure if this was true or not.

Also, other threads on the main board have talked about Lowrance coming out with some sort of SI capability later this fall. Any and all input on this topic is welcome. Feel free to PM brianlg directly, too.

Thanks!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOZcrappie View Post
    Got a buddy on the Illinois board, brianlg, who's considering a Humminbird SI unit. Probably a 797 but he likes the 1197 better -- cost is obviously an issue.

Mike, I know you have the SI and wanted to get your thoughts on it. I know there are others here on the MO board that have them and I'd welcome your input, as well.

What do you like/don't like? Are they worth it? I've read/heard about some GPS issues with the units and wasn't sure if this was true or not.

Also, other threads on the main board have talked about Lowrance coming out with some sort of SI capability later this fall. Any and all input on this topic is welcome. Feel free to PM brianlg directly, too.

Thanks!
    If you have the cash. Go with the 997 or better. The pictures are clearer. I could see fish on TAB's 997 that I haven't ever seen on my 797.
    Just my 2 cents

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Kit. Other feedback welcome!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd consider how much you are going to use it, and how much time you are willing to dedicate to learning it. For the normal guy who wants to get a look at what's down there, the 797 is probably enough. If you have money to burn, then sure the 997 or 1197 would be great, and you could cover more ground in one sweep with it.

I'd be the first to admit that I don't use my 797 to it's full potential and probably miss out on some fish because of it. My problem is when I want to fish, I want to fish. If I start imaging and analysing what I'm seeing, then I spend way to much time doing that.

I'm going to follow a rule this year. Before I fish an area, I'll record a sweep of it with the SI, if there's something I see right away, I'll mark it and try it. Otherwise, I'll look at the recording at home on the laptop and mark spots and save them for next time. If you have a computer with a card reader, then you don't really need a 997, or 1197 because you can look at it on your computer in a larger format.

It's a great tool, and for lakes with less visible structure I think it would be priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 997csi. I have found things in the lake I never knew where there. When I first got it, I would spend a lot of time looking at while I tried to fish. This didn't work too well. Then I started doing what the Pros do. I would study a paper map and find all the places that looked interesting. Go scan them, not fish them first. Locate anything there, mark it then if it looked real good fish it. I also bought a Navionics card for my area. That has opened another whole world too. found humps, drops, etc that don't show up on paper maps. The gps is a little slow, but I don't run to a spot. I creep up on then as quiet as I can. This helps with locating with the gps. I love Mine!!

Post Thanks / Like

Had the 797 and took it back and got the 997. I love the large screen, even when not using the side imaging. My sight is not getting better as I get older and it is easier to see the larger screen in the gps mode.

Like Duncan said, I don't use the side imaging to it's full potential and haven't really spent enough time with it to learn it as well as I should. Don't expect to get one and see a picture book of the bottom of the lake. It requires some interpretation skills that you will have to acquire over time with use. I too don't spend enough time trying to figure it out because I want to spend that time fishing.

A few weeks ago I spent some time just cruising the banks in an area on LOZ using the side imaging. Marked a spot or two but didn't see much. Went back over the same area in regular sonar mode and just cruised the bank, keeping my boat near the 14ft depth range. Found several nice brush piles I hadn't seen in the side imaging mode. Again, it is probably just my inability to interpret the side imaging screen, but that was my experience. I keep promising myself I will spent more time with the side imager, but may not happen until I retire and can fish every day.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

if you are not in to big of a rush to get one i think that (TAB) will be doing seminars in the ST.LOUIS Cabela's in two weeks,,iam waiting for a e-mail on the exact date but you could visit 1 on 1 with him about his likes and dislikes on the 997/1197,,does a good talk on crappie fishing also

also the same weekend his dad(Charlie) will be in the KC Cabela's doing seminar's if i can get the correct date's i will post
    Last edited by old fuzzy; 02-05-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Great contributions, as always. This board is great.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)