Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wear on a motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default wear on a motor

I have a 71' 6hp evinrude in great shape for the year... I got in mounted on my 14' tracker grizzly. Use it for small restricted lakes and trolling. I would of prefered a 9.9, but being I needed a longshaft I found this for a good price.
    Other than not being a speed demon does his put excessive wear on the motor since I am probably alittle under powered ?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just my opinion.

I'm no expert on mechanical wear, but I think if you're conservative on high rpm's, you'd be fine. I use a small 4hp on a 14 v-hull, and when I push it WOT, it doesn't push the boat any faster than if I had been at 3/4 throttle. I think the prop is cavitizing since it doesn't have the power to push any harder. Just my .02. Rollcaster................................
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.....the RPM's should be what matters. Scrapper or IBNFSHN will see this soon and set us straight if we're wrong. The "force" is strong is those two. :D
    J

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you have the proper propeller for the load and don't run WOT all the time, the wear will be normal.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

BYG...you would be amazed at what these little two stroke wonders we have on the back of our boats will do. Essentially they are just big air pumps. RPMS do not effect them quite like their four stroke counterparts....although you can still overrev easily...just not as easily as a four stroke.

As said before, you MUST be propped right. I know you do not have a tach on that engine...if you had access to a timing like you could check it.

Do a search and find the RPM range of your motor....there should be a chart out there somewhere. You may have to try to find a manual for it. A seloc or clymer MIGHT tell you the different size props for that engine. If not....and you want to keep the engine. I recommend going to Kencook.com and buying an actually OMC service manual. Will have EVERYTHING you will ever need to know about this engine.

I would say with that boat you will want to be at the upper end of your rpm range with an average to slightly above average load. This will keep her under wraps for you. I know its a crap shoot on an older and small motor because of lack of info and no tach...there are ways around this though.

As said before...NO motor will last forever at WOT...although seems like I can take care of my engine to the fullest..and you see joe blow with a beat up old merc or johnny rude that hasn't been serviced in years get the mess run out of it...started out of water...run up on stuff...and she just keeps on purring like a kitten!! lol...I never have those!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15