Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop Shot Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Shot Crappie

This is one of the post I made this AM but can't seem to see it here so I am re-posting it.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered here, but just thought I would share what I have been doing for a while now.

OK I took a system from bass fishing and have had really good luck with crappie. For any of you that have not ever tried a drop shot rig here is the basic description.

I do use a Gamakatsu drop shot hook (#1 or #2 size) and I like the thin longer type sinkers instead of the round one however they will work just as well, but I think they hank up more. You tie you hook on using a palomar knot except you tie it up you line so that you have a tag end of about a foot or so long. Next tie a overhand knot near the end of the tag end then attach your sinker just above the knot at the bottom. On yeah, one last part of the palomar knot...once you have it tied run the tag end down through the eye (with the business end of the hook up). This will make your hook stand straight out from you line with the weight a foot below.
    This way the fish can not move you hook up or down without you knowing. If you feel the weight leave the end of you rod you know something has picked up your bait (minnow) and moved up as soon as he picks it up and normally you would not feel this until the fish has moved up enough to lift the sinker which is normally above the hook. Also I think you have better feel on the other type of light bites crappie are known for.

Also the way the hook stands straight out from you line with the minnow lip hooked he always looks normal to the fish.

If you don't want to buy the special drop shot weights you can use split shot sinkers too.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I'll try it. Thanks for the info, excellant description.

Post Thanks / Like

Good description, I might add that a second hook can also be added up the line and with heavier weight the rig can be slow trolled.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys and yes it's great because it takes all the advantage of the fish being able to move your bait without you at least feeling him hit it or even if he lifts it just enough that you may not feel it with the normal type set up.

It has been working well for me.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Default rig

http://www.catcherman.com/features/r...512sportmn.htm

This site has a good discription of how to tie the rig.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ nice link I didn't have!

The only thing I would recommend is to buy the real drop shot weights in the slim version so you get less snags in brush piles.

Here is a pic at BPS so you can see the one I am talking about.

XPS™ Finesse Drop Weight
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

As far as I know the XPS can be bought at places other than BPS because one tackle shop here sells them.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up works good...

..been using similar system for nitestalking for awhile now...what I do is tie drop-loop of 4" or so about 18" above sinker (on end of line)..I use enough weight to pre-load tip of pole to see bites better.......sometimes use 2 loops on line...gives minnows alittle more swim room, looks more natural in my opinion....with 2 loops I space'm about 12' apart to reduce tangles...hope this helps some......not saying its the right way....just works for me...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I drop shot some and the way I run my rig is to tie a snap swivel about 3' up my line. I then tie another swivel about 1 & 1/2 feet up the line. I then tie on a drop shot weight (pensil sinker). I then use Eagle Claw #2 pre-snelled aberdeen hooks snapped on to the snap swivels. These pre-snelled hooks have a stiff line that doesn't get tangled too often. I fish the rig by reading the depth the fish seem to be at and allowing that much line out. The key is to fish as slow as possible. There is no trouble telling when you have a strike on a 12' crappie pole. I bait my rig with minnows. The trouble is that I seem to catch as many cats and bass as I do crappie but I am not a purist, so these fish are welcome. Hooking a large channel on such a rig is a blast, you have to play them very carefully.
    As the other fellow said, I am not saying my way is the right way but it works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    SteveJ nice link I didn't have!

The only thing I would recommend is to buy the real drop shot weights in the slim version so you get less snags in brush piles.

Here is a pic at BPS so you can see the one I am talking about.

XPS™ Finesse Drop Weight
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

As far as I know the XPS can be bought at places other than BPS because one tackle shop here sells them.
    skiptomylu, Here's a link to a site that they cost less and they have a wide variety of sinkers.Here's a site that sells a wide virety of sinkers.You can get more for your $$. Brad & Sons Tackle
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my perch fishing on lake erie with a home made drop shot rig. I start out with a 2 foot tag end. That lets me fish 2ft off bottom in the 48ft water where we catch them. If the fish are closer to the bottom, i just shorten my tag to anywhere from 1ft or less. But if the fish are laying on the bottom, i leave it at 2ft, leave slack in my line and the rig sits on the bottom. It's still easy to see a hit and set the hook. Like everybody else said, it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast