Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frying oil

Post Thanks / Like

Default frying oil

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice on how long you can store you cooking oil after using it. Just thought it might be a good idea to know before the fish really start bitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Your probably going to get alot of different answers on this on but, I usually keep using the same oil for frying fish until it just starts smelling too fishy. Once it reaches that too fishy point, I'll throw it out but I always use alittle of the old oil in with the new oil (in the skillet, not in the container) that helps it brown the fish better. I've kept using the same oil for about 3 months but there again, its depends on how much fish ya fry. Confusing I know but, thats my 2 cents.

Bluegill
    Last edited by Bluegill Bill; 02-04-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you store the used at room temperature or do you freeze it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default oil

I freeze mine and I had been keeping it for about 1 month using it about twice before getting rid of it. Just seems like a waste when I'm only frying 20 fish in it then buying more.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have keep it in the freezer several years.as long as it isen`t burnt it shoule be good for a long time . strain the old meal and fish crums out .
    don`t pour it out find some one that runs it in a diesal . my doctor does .after it is run through his process .:D
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought about freezing it, I didn't know that oil would freeze, guess I learned something new.

Bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

I have frozen it before but i discarded it after the second cooking.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been in restaurants for almost 15 years and i can tell you a good bit about oil. of course when you cook strong foods such as onions or fish, they will flavor the grease. there are 4 things that kill grease.

1. heat - dont keep it hot any longer than you have to
    2. sun light - store in cool dark place
    3. food particles - strain through a coffee filter after every use.
    4. water - simply wipe out all water after washing out pan.

the way to tell if grease is bad or not is by the color. i use my basket to test the clarity of it. if i cant see the bottom of the basket in the oil (about 7 inches) then i throw it out. also if the grease is smoking from the top with nothing cooking in it, throw it out. the grease is burnt up. and if you use it, you might as well go to auto zone and get a few quarts of 30w motor oil. lol:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Allen. I appreciate all the tips. That oil is expensive. Any luck with the job?

Post Thanks / Like

no luck with a job, but honestly i havent been looking. my wife makes decent and im trying to talk her into me being a bum for at least the summer. my unemployment isnt really that bad, considering most of my money i made, made extra car payments and our hobbies. hopefully i can just enjoy the summer and try to take my son out fishing as much as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast