Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elusive crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elusive crappie

I'm having a difficult time finding crappie in this pond... http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lak.../sand_pond.pdf

They can be found in the shallows in the spring, but by the time the ice is here, I can't seem to locate them. Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Post Thanks / Like

look for structure near those deep areas. especially if there are any points in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

wow that lake has some deep holes. I always wondered how a person reads a map and generally find fish, if i had to say were to start i would say in the area were its 30ft deep. Its some what off a point and not far from a river inlet or outlet.

I hope some one with more experience jumps in and explain were and why, i also would like to learn

Post Thanks / Like

Oldfox.....I would look for crappie near weeds or any other structure in 10 or more foot of water. They could easily be shallower depending on if its early ice or not. Of course, a vexilar would really help you locate fish and any structure. Finding them will take some effort, but I'm sure you will be rewarded for that effort! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

They do not even mention crappies in the repot.
    Try just off of that island in 30 fow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys...I have looked in all those place you have suggested with little luck. I do have a Marcum, but it seems to be of little use locating them.

The report does not show crappie on it because the last report was revised in 1994, but trust me, they are in there! They are considered an invasive species here in Maine.

This is part of a chain of lakes...could it be possibe that they move to a different lake during the winter? I will check again around the island Keith...

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it,maybe to spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default chain of lakes...

This is an aerial shot of the lakes I referred to. Any ideas where they might go in their migration route from this view? The pond I generally have the best luck in is the center one...the pond above this one, with the islands, is the one in the original post..

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look to the lower right hole for spawning.
    There's a ton of water to work.Hit the north and west sides as they warm up faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiekeith View Post
    I'd look to the lower right hole for spawning.
    There's a ton of water to work.Hit the north and west sides as they warm up faster.
    Thanks Keith...the lower pond is the end of the chain, with a max depth of 30'. The depth of the stream that connects the center pond (max depth 28') to it, varies in depth from 3' to 16'. Would they spawn in the stream itself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast