Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your story

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your story

In thrity words or less, express what hooked you to fishing. Mine was catching a bass with a stick, string, and a rusty hook.
    Last edited by Fishaholik; 02-04-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: No response

Fishing is an addiction and I'm trying to dose up daily!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink My story ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishaholik View Post
    When I was 12, my mom took me to the park. There was absolutely nothing for me to do. I believe the outing was more for her than me, but I've always been adventurous, so I made the best out of a bad situation. Instead of being mad, I started staring in the water trying to see the fish, but there was nothing. What happened next is what got me into fishing. I found an old hook, some string, and a stick. Oh yeah, I made my first fishing pole. And if you think I caught a fish with that....then you're right!!! I hooked a little Bass and from then on, I wanted to catch bigger, stronger fish. Well, that's what got me into fishing. True, it might sound crazy, but that's where Fishaholik was created.... So what's your story????

... is that I was born to a woman that was from a family that fished. My Mom grew up fishing, because her parents took their children. Later on, I went to live with those Grandparents, so I was taken along whenever they went. A neighbor buddy also came from a fishing family, and he and I spent many a day fishing together. After coming home from my Military Service, and moving out on my own, I got into it even more. All of the lasting buddy friendships that I've had, over the decades past, have only been with those guys that fished. Even got some of my previous girlfriends into fishing ... and those relationships lasted much longer than with those that didn't :p
    Considering when and where I grew up, I credit my love of fishing with keeping me alive, and out of prison. I credit my involvement with Crappie.com with keeping me in touch with like-minded people, and expanding my range of travel to other waters, as well as introducing me to some of the greatest guys and gals anyone would want to know. I don't get to go as often as I used to, but ... ain't that what one's retirement years are for -- catching up on all those missed opportunities :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Great story. You'll find more time to hit the water...and when you do, let the fam see more of those good lookin' Crappie.

Fishing is an addiction and I'm trying to dose up daily!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony,

My story and many of those this forum can be read by clicking on this thread http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...thank-you.html in the archives. You will find lots of motivation here. Click on the link to read them. We are waiting to hear your full story. I think you should add it on this thread on the one in the archives.

I Thought I'd share a picture or two also with you. These individuals all had a part in creating a love of fishing and jig tying for me. Other than my dad, my biggest heroes are Steve MacCadams. and Wally Marshall, and Jerry McKinnis. Steve takes the time and encourages me through responding to emails, Jerry McKinnis always closed his show saying "Dedicated to me dad who always had time to take me fishing, and Mr. Crappie always has a wealth of knowledge he shares with others through his website. I can remember, back in 1970 at the age of 25, taking a bb split shot, flattening it on a jig hook and making "Aspirin head jigs". Yes I painted them with a shot of spray paint, not fingernail polish. I made a "Poor man's fishing bucket" with a detachable rod holder for fishing from the bank. I made "The Quiver carrier" out of PVC to carry rods through the woods and keep them safe from the trunk in your car. I have made bank rod holders out of PVC cut in half and welded to the iron posts that realtors use. I have invented a "Circular worm incubator" to keep your redworms from dying on your boat or on the bank while you are fishing. and many other things. I think in a previous life I might have been George Washington Carver or some inventor.

Dedicated to my dad who found the time to take me fishing. He died Christmas 2003 at the age of 83.

and also my brother Leon who passed away in 1984 at the age of 39.

love,

your dad
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 02-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

kinda like hank say's---- family tradition.

Post Thanks / Like

Oak Orchard Creek runs behind my family's home and there you can wade across just about above ankle depth. Well at the falls the kids were always fishin and wouldn't let me!!!! Well this older lady had her grandson checking the crayfish traps and he saw that I wanted to fish.

He went to their car, got some of the old black fishing string tied it to a stick and put a hook on and I caught a big out bullhead!!!! But when I started going with my Uncle all the time..

Been fishing ever since

Fatman

Yeah Yeah I know more than 30 words :p:p

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman for a living. My grandfather on the other side of the family grew up dirt poor (as did alot of folks back then). They ate what they raised or brought home from hunting or fishing. Both sides influenced me and my love of the outdoors from a very young age.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I only do it for the hot Crappie groupie chicks. Would have stopped years ago if it weren't for the fame and fortune though.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty slim pickins round our house growing up, so fish were a welcome break from beans and taters. We pretty much would eat anything that didn't eat us first.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Tony, welcome, and congrats on a nice fish.

My first memories of fishing are with my grandma. She would keep me entertained when I was young (I think she enjoyed it too). We would dig some worms, get the cane poles with corks, or small twigs even, and catch sunfish out of the pond. I remember catching several with her, not one after the other, but quite a few. Good times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast