PDA

View Full Version : What's your story

Fishaholik
02-03-2009, 11:18 PM
In thrity words or less, express what hooked you to fishing. Mine was catching a bass with a stick, string, and a rusty hook.

CrappiePappy
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
When I was 12, my mom took me to the park. There was absolutely nothing for me to do. I believe the outing was more for her than me, but I've always been adventurous, so I made the best out of a bad situation. Instead of being mad, I started staring in the water trying to see the fish, but there was nothing. What happened next is what got me into fishing. I found an old hook, some string, and a stick. Oh yeah, I made my first fishing pole. And if you think I caught a fish with that....then you're right!!! I hooked a little Bass and from then on, I wanted to catch bigger, stronger fish. Well, that's what got me into fishing. True, it might sound crazy, but that's where Fishaholik was created.... So what's your story????

... is that I was born to a woman that was from a family that fished. My Mom grew up fishing, because her parents took their children. Later on, I went to live with those Grandparents, so I was taken along whenever they went. A neighbor buddy also came from a fishing family, and he and I spent many a day fishing together. After coming home from my Military Service, and moving out on my own, I got into it even more. All of the lasting buddy friendships that I've had, over the decades past, have only been with those guys that fished. Even got some of my previous girlfriends into fishing ... and those relationships lasted much longer than with those that didn't :p
Considering when and where I grew up, I credit my love of fishing with keeping me alive, and out of prison. I credit my involvement with Crappie.com with keeping me in touch with like-minded people, and expanding my range of travel to other waters, as well as introducing me to some of the greatest guys and gals anyone would want to know. I don't get to go as often as I used to, but ... ain't that what one's retirement years are for -- catching up on all those missed opportunities :D

... cp :cool:

Fishaholik
02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Great story. You'll find more time to hit the water...and when you do, let the fam see more of those good lookin' Crappie.

shipahoy41
02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Tony,

My story and many of those this forum can be read by clicking on this thread http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archives-stuff-we-dont-want-loose/39157-who-mentored-you-please-respond-thank-you.html in the archives. You will find lots of motivation here. Click on the link to read them. We are waiting to hear your full story. I think you should add it on this thread on the one in the archives.

I Thought I'd share a picture or two also with you. These individuals all had a part in creating a love of fishing and jig tying for me. Other than my dad, my biggest heroes are Steve MacCadams. and Wally Marshall, and Jerry McKinnis. Steve takes the time and encourages me through responding to emails, Jerry McKinnis always closed his show saying "Dedicated to me dad who always had time to take me fishing, and Mr. Crappie always has a wealth of knowledge he shares with others through his website. I can remember, back in 1970 at the age of 25, taking a bb split shot, flattening it on a jig hook and making "Aspirin head jigs". Yes I painted them with a shot of spray paint, not fingernail polish. I made a "Poor man's fishing bucket" with a detachable rod holder for fishing from the bank. I made "The Quiver carrier" out of PVC to carry rods through the woods and keep them safe from the trunk in your car. I have made bank rod holders out of PVC cut in half and welded to the iron posts that realtors use. I have invented a "Circular worm incubator" to keep your redworms from dying on your boat or on the bank while you are fishing. and many other things. I think in a previous life I might have been George Washington Carver or some inventor.

Dedicated to my dad who found the time to take me fishing. He died Christmas 2003 at the age of 83.
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/dad.JPG

and also my brother Leon who passed away in 1984 at the age of 39.
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/Leon_Fishing.JPG

love,

your dad

catman
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
kinda like hank say's---- family tradition.

Fatman
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Oak Orchard Creek runs behind my family's home and there you can wade across just about above ankle depth. Well at the falls the kids were always fishin and wouldn't let me!!!! Well this older lady had her grandson checking the crayfish traps and he saw that I wanted to fish.

He went to their car, got some of the old black fishing string tied it to a stick and put a hook on and I caught a big out bullhead!!!! But when I started going with my Uncle all the time..

Been fishing ever since

Fatman

Yeah Yeah I know more than 30 words :p:p

Speck
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
My grandfather was a commercial fisherman for a living. My grandfather on the other side of the family grew up dirt poor (as did alot of folks back then). They ate what they raised or brought home from hunting or fishing. Both sides influenced me and my love of the outdoors from a very young age.

Wannabe...
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I only do it for the hot Crappie groupie chicks. Would have stopped years ago if it weren't for the fame and fortune though.

Wannabe...

rockmike
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Pretty slim pickins round our house growing up, so fish were a welcome break from beans and taters. We pretty much would eat anything that didn't eat us first.

talltimber
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Hello Tony, welcome, and congrats on a nice fish.

My first memories of fishing are with my grandma. She would keep me entertained when I was young (I think she enjoyed it too). We would dig some worms, get the cane poles with corks, or small twigs even, and catch sunfish out of the pond. I remember catching several with her, not one after the other, but quite a few. Good times.

LOZcrappie
02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Three influences for me...

My Grandma - she's in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's now but was a heck of a fisherwoman in her day. Taught me patience.

My friend Ray - A friend of my dad's who had no kids. Took me under his wing, taught me to bass fish and put up with me putting way too many birdsnests into his baitcaster. He was SO proud when I caught a 7-pounder as a 12-year-old.

My friend Alph - He and his dad would take me on weekend fishing trips to Lake Egypt in Southern Illinois. Introduced me to crappie fishing. Good folks, fun folks and great people for letting me tag along.

All key in my life. Also my dad, who is not a fisherman, but who is slowly learning to do it because I love it and just so we can spend more time together.

Fishing rules!

JIG Gene-e
02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I learned to walk, fish, and swim in that order. I was born with the fever, long as I can remember, Genetics I guess:D

I can't help it, I have to!

Micropterus salmoides
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
My pa used to intentionally drench me in the front of his lil boat... in the middle of the night, running wide open.......the only thing I remember seeing was blurry stars.
Pirates we were.
arggh

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I was my dad's little shadow. He ran a lot of trot lines and I used to beg to go with him just to see what we would pull in. He was also a hunter and taught me how to shoot and squirrel hunt before he died. I was 9 when we lost him and my world was forever changed. My stepdad was also a fisherman - he, my mom, Paul and I spent some good times together fishing and camping. We lost him to kidney failure in 1995. After that, we sold our boat and I didn't pick up a rod and reel for a year. To this day, it's hard to go to Reelfoot without him there. My grandma was a bluegill fisher beyond compare. My grandpa would drop her off at a neighbor's farm pond and she would catch a 5 gallon bucket full and have herself a ball. These are memories I hold close and hope to pass on a love for fishing to my niece and nephew.

drifter106
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Before I could swim I was helping dad seine and chase down bait. Working the lines for flats during the fall....10 ft jon boat with oars. Life was simple... talked to your neighbors while watching a sunset... drinking a glass of ice tea.

Gansett
02-04-2009, 11:44 PM
My Dad took me fishin. He was a mailman, came home about 2:30 p.m. and always had a second job of some kind usually about 5:00 p.m. He spend that "break" time with me, mostly fishing. Remember my first fish (back in 1946). The thrill of the bobber going under, the tug of that smallie, and pulling it up on the bank of the pond. I yelled and whooped and he laughed and laughed. As they say, seems like it was just yesterday. He's gone now, but left me with a passion that has not faded to this day.

Jeepster04
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm with you fishaholic. I started fishing at Kentucky lake at age 5 with a piece of line wrapped around my finger, a split shot, and a hook w/ cricket. Caught the heck out of the bream around the boat dock. Finger is still a little twisted around from all of the tuggin I did on them. Grandfather told me that one time I was out there fishing, Elvis Presley came and sat with me for a spell to see what I was catching. He and a friend had been out there fishing and were returning. He suppossedly had a cabin there and frequently visited.

wwwUncle
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
My dad.

Cane Pole
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Born with gills. Swim like a fish. Bite like a alligator.

Scrapper
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
My parents taking me as a kid ALL the time.

Catching a 5lbs bass in my aunts pond when I was about 9.

Bill Dance, Hank Parker, B.A.S.S., and In Fisherman on TNN...back when we still had TNN.

I used to record them and watch them over and over and over.

hunt4crappie
02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
My Dad and my Grandma were my influences for fishing. The earliest memories I have were of my Dad taking me fishing to a pond on a hunting preserve he was a member. My older brother was a constant companion on these outings. It wasn't much, but what we would fish for at an early age were the bluegill in the pond. Those bluegill always entertained us. I think that was planned by my Dad so he could help out with the pheasent the club raised and released. The bluegill were something to keep us busy. I remember in my later years fishing the same pond for the nice northern pike which inhabited those waters.
My Grandma was a hoot when it came to fishing. We would dig up some worms in her compost pile and put them in an old coffee can. We would then walk down to the river, each of us carrying a bamboo cane pole. We wouldn't carry any additional tackle. The only hook and bobber we had was on the line of the cane pole. We would always go to a spot of her choosing. She always seemed to know where the fish would be, no matter the time of year. The funny thing about it was that she always made me spit on the worm. She said that the fish would not bite unless you spit on the worm, and believe it or not she was always right. What we fished for were bullheads. We would catch a meals worth, take them to her house and fry them up. No matter how hard I tried since then I can never get the same results as Grandma.

I know this is a lot longer than requested, but the story dictated the length. Hope you all enjoyed.

Fishaholik
02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
That's a great story; Grandma must've had you holding your mouth right. :eek:Thanks for sharing with the Fam.

Fishaholik
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
What was your Grandfather's name, so we can look him up and get an idea of the skills you've inherited?