Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tuning trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning trolling motors

Does anybody know how to "tune" a MinnKota Maxxum trolling motor, so that the head of the motor can be in a given position and the pedal will be at the middle of its draw when the motor is aimed stright forward? I know you can twist the whole shaft, but can you adjust it otherwise? Thanks.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Check with Beagle, I know that he has one of those high powered trolling motors with the guide, remote, etc.

Later, Ship

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. The maxxum is their cable driven foot control model. There's no remote like with the Terrova. Good to hear from you, Ship. I hope to see you guys up at Truman this spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the top off and adjust cable by pulling steer cable .
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wrong before, I think his has a 12 or 14 ft foot control cord so that you can move it aft, also has a gps (I might be wonge here) or some sort of set contol steeirng device

Later, Ship
    Last edited by ship; 02-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

remove the top cover by removing the 4 screws under the head. back off the tension screw on the foot pedal that is located under where the cables and wiring connect to the front of the pedal base. Back it off just enough to ease the tension on the cables to allow you to pull the black gear that the cables wrap around on the top of the shaft. ou will have to take the bracket lose that holds the light in it. Before you pull the gear up, put the pedal in the position you want it in. after you do this, pull the gear up and turn the shaft to point the motor in the direction you want. After you get the motor pointing in the correct direction , Slide the gear back on the shaft and tighten the screw on the pedal to tighten the cables back down. Then put the bracket that holds the light back on. Line the arrow on the cover to the motor and put the cover back on with the 4 screws. You should be done at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Brad. I appreciate it. I'll see you boys on the dock.

Post Thanks / Like

just a thought but a B F H may work also,,no wait that may be for something else!!!brad's description will work
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have Brad on here. Great knowledge of fishing and anything to do with it. Sounds like he got you fixed up Jim with out even having to be at Bucksaw to ask him. All though I thought that motor had a cedar tree sensor on it that took you straight to them. Guess my motorguide has the hardwood sensor. May have to get the adapter for when you fish with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuned it up today. Piece of cake. Thanks again Brad. Put on the 522 today and just am planning on taking the boat down to get a base glassed in for the front pole. Gotta get things all slicked up before this ice melts. Jared, I hope to see you soon.