PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Side Imagery On High Def Units This Year!!!!!!

Dawgmanx2
02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to share what I was told by Bass Pro Shop guy today. Was checking out the new Lowrance High Def units at BPS today, salesman comes up and showing me what they can do. Cool units, was asking him what he had heard from Humminbird gps problem and nothing new from him on that, but he said was told by Lowrance they will introduce there on Side Imagery this year and will work on the High Def units they selling now. Told him I didn't think they could get by patent problems. He said he was told by Lowrance guy they already work out details with Humminbird and will be available within a few months!!!!!!!

Don't know this guy from ADAM, and not saying they will or wont be!!!!!!!
I JUST THE MESSENGER SHARING WHAT I WAS TOLD.

WHAT YOU THINK?????:confused:

drifter106
02-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I am all for it but won't believe it till I see it. Just posted this in another thread but very relevant to your post. Lowrance Side Imaging: Sonar/GPS Installation & Operation: BBC Boards (http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/358632-lowrance-side-imaging)

If it is true, hard to figure out why they haven't advertised it. But then look at HB...do you even see a 798 si advertised on their website? Guess they are trying to dump old stock. Lowrance on the other hand is really up front as to their product line on their website. In the end, its all about $'s and cents.

Micropterus salmoides
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
i'm not hip to all the side imagery hoopla, but what's the patent that you speak of? Hummingbird has a patent on that?
I know they've been using it offshore for years...
confused

Cane Pole
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I am all for it but won't believe it till I see it. Just posted this in another thread but very relevant to your post. Lowrance Side Imaging: Sonar/GPS Installation & Operation: BBC Boards (http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/358632-lowrance-side-imaging)

If it is true, hard to figure out why they haven't advertised it. But then look at HB...do you even see a 798 si advertised on their website? Guess they are trying to dump old stock. Lowrance on the other hand is really up front as to their product line on their website. In the end, its all about $'s and cents.

Maybe it is an Unofficial Website. Kinda like the Unofficial SI sight.

Mr.Crappie
02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes Sir What the man is telling is the truth about Lowrance coming out with side image.......2010 season this December will be available!!!! Yep It's true!!
Lowrance Side Image

JusFshn
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes Sir What the man is telling is the truth about Lowrance coming out with side image.......2010 season this December will be available!!!! Yep It's true!!
Lowrance Side Image

If anybody would know...

HB better step up their game.. Lowrance has a much better 2d sonar plus Lowrance's new interface on the HDS units have stepped them into the 21st century

dedawg1149
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
it would seem like they are some truth to it?

fingerlicken
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I no there is a lot that goes into them but I wish they could get the price down for the working man. I'm not poor by no means but $2,000.00 is hard for me take just for a unit.

dedawg1149
02-03-2009, 12:33 AM
the new Lowrance HDS-8 Sonar/GPS are already 2000.00 dollars then you wuld have to buy more to make it side imaging so what would to total price be around 3000.00 i beleive i will stick with hummingbird

CrappieKillerJigs
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
i have a hummingbird SI and will be selling it soon as loweance comes out with theirs due to i think the HB is crap...

dedawg1149
02-03-2009, 01:13 AM
i have a hummingbird SI and will be selling it soon as loweance comes out with theirs due to i think the HB is crap...

why dont you like the hummingbird if you dont mind me asking

CrappieKillerJigs
02-03-2009, 01:18 AM
all the gps probs and the lowrance gps is alot better and the pic is alot better...it is just a better unit all around...i have had to get my SI unit fixed 3times already and it is only 9 months or so old

dedawg1149
02-03-2009, 01:20 AM
ok thanks that dont sound good at all

CrappieKillerJigs
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
talked to a rep. for lowrance and they said that their SI unit will be out june/july and if you think the HB SI unit is nice wait till you see theirs.....that was the words that came out of the lowrance reps mouth....

GRIZZ
02-03-2009, 04:18 AM
if you think the HB SI unit is nice wait till you see theirs.....that was the words that came out of the lowrance reps mouth....

I have heard quite a few words from Lowrance reps mouths that were mainly sales bunk. I imagine they will cost as much as a nice used car since the top HM units are 3 grand now. An inexcusable price. You can get really nice laptops now for $500. Something as basic as any fishfinder is not worth 3 grand. Even a crushingly great laptop with and 18 inch screen, quad core, blueray, 500 gig HD and dedicated graphics can be had for $1800.

Opie1
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I imagine they will cost as much as a nice used car since the top HM units are 3 grand now. An inexcusable price. You can get really nice laptops now for $500. Something as basic as any fishfinder is not worth 3 grand. Even a crushingly great laptop with and 18 inch screen, quad core, blueray, 500 gig HD and dedicated graphics can be had for $1800.
Today 01:26 AM

I agree but it's a toy and people will pay anything for a toy but whine when a gallon of milk goes for $3.

Anyone who has a HB SI. Can you post the supposed patent numbers they have on here? If they do have patents, the numbers should be on the box.
I did a few searches at the US Patent & Trademake office and only came up with this:

United States Patent Application: 0050166443 (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Humminbird&OS=Humminbird&RS=Humminbird)

Opie1
02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Here's a few Lowrance patents:

Patent Database Search Results: Lowrance AND "Lowrance Electronics, Inc (Tulsa, OK) " in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=Lowrance&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=Lowrance+Electronics%2C+Inc.+%28Tulsa%2C+OK% 29+&FIELD2=&d=PTXT)

and a bunch of Humminbird (Techsonic Industries, Inc.) patents:

Patent Database Search Results: Techsonic in US Patent Collection (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&RS=Humminbird+AND+Techsonic&Refine=Refine+Search&Refine=Refine+Search&Query=+Techsonic)

tritonman
02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
It is going to be interesting for sure to see what happens in the next few months

J White
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
:D:D:D If this works out, this is what we been a needin'.
With some competition, H'bird will either make some improvements
or get run over by the bus ;) either way, we'll get some better units
from one or the other. Glad I've held off on that 1197. Might still get
one if it's the better unit, but soooo nice to have a choice.

SpeckWick
02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I wa all set to drop the $$$ on a HB SI, now you guys bring this up. Maybe I oughta wait and see. Could be interesting.

SpeckWick
02-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Never mind. Just checked the prices on the Lowrance HD. WOW!! I am not looking to drop that kind of money into a fishfinder. The $1000 for the 798cSI was a more than I'd like to spend, but compared to $2300 plus whatever SI will add....no thanks. I know plenty of people who are happy with the HB. I guess I might be checking it out for myself.

GTCKID
02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
hey i live in tulsa talked to the lady @ front desk(linda ford) some time ago she told me lowrance built si years ago but people didnt buy it so they stopped selling them

Cane Pole
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree but it's a toy and people will pay anything for a toy but whine when a gallon of milk goes for $3.

Anyone who has a HB SI. Can you post the supposed patent numbers they have on here? If they do have patents, the numbers should be on the box.
I did a few searches at the US Patent & Trademake office and only came up with this:

United States Patent Application: 0050166443 (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Humminbird&OS=Humminbird&RS=Humminbird)

I have seen some fish bait delivery rigs in action. Neat.

YouTube - Eurofishing ( Baitboat the Navigator) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQuM2KHLZk&feature=related)

Micropterus salmoides
02-03-2009, 08:42 PM
i'm not hip to all the side imagery hoopla, but what's the patent that you speak of? Hummingbird has a patent on that?
I know they've been using it offshore for years...
confused

again

Cane Pole
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
again

I read the HB claims some time ago. Basically it is the packaging of the SI transducer (down look, side look in one package) and the fact that transducer is mounted to the boat, not towed. The patent had other claims, but it referenced these two claims often.

Micropterus salmoides
02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I read the HB claims some time ago. Basically it is the packaging of the SI transducer (down look, side look in one package) and the fact that transducer is mounted to the boat, not towed. The patent had other claims, but it referenced these two claims often.

well that ain't diddley
patent shmatent

Dear Robert Johnson,
those h*llhounds are everywhere!

jaxsprat
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
CanePole

Sounds like Lowrance could get around the (down look, side look in one package by making the SI a addition/accessory to their HD unit & use of a 2nd transducer. Saw where some HB folks on a bass site in reply to Lowrance si news were sayin there is no way Lowrance can get past the HB patent. Are patents like some laws, just made to be broken? And who knows what patents on Si Lowrance kept when selling that portable si finder thingy they had to HB, a few years back.

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
CanePole
Sounds like Lowrance could get around the (down look, side look in one package by making the SI a addition/accessory to their HD unit & use of a 2nd transducer. Saw where some HB folks on a bass site in reply to Lowrance si news were sayin their is no way Lowrance can get past the HB patent. Are patents like some laws, just made to be broken?

Form, fit, or function trumps a patent.

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Don't forget, there is always a patent "royalty" check in the mail to someone.

HB has milked it for 3 years. They might have "negotiated" a deal. Who knows.

jaxsprat
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Cane--They might have "negotiated" a deal. Who knows, Right you are Cane Pole........ Could of been lately or could of been when Lowrance sold that little Si thingy to Hb could of been a clause there for a Si just may be had to mount diff or etc. can't see where Lowrance would not have kept a form of Si patent for their use/also.

beagle man
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I Am Not Positive But I Bet If Lowrance Comes Out With The Best Unit On The Market Someone On Here Will Find Fault With It And Give It A Bad Rep. Over Some Small Problem. Any Takers

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I guarantee I will if I choose to do so.

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
By the way, Lowrance is definitely coming out with the SI. It is a black box module that will use the new HD sonar/gps heads. Network 2000 application.

Mid summer product release. It will be a black box + transducer +HD Head +GPS puck.

Know this for a fact now.

Luke
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
By the way, Lowrance is definitely coming out with the SI. It is a black box module that will use the new HD sonar/gps heads. Network 2000 application.

Mid summer product release. It will be a black box + transducer +HD Head +GPS puck.

wonder what the price of all that will be:rolleyes:

TapOut64
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Competition is always good. I see a lot of people trashing Hummingbird and their side imaging. I've had a 997 for over a year now without so much as a single problem. (has worked fine from 12 degrees to 99 degrees) Heck, I don't even struggle to find waypoints that I mark. My unit has showed me structure that I never knew existed and giant schools of fish. I'm very happy with my unit.

Big George
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Why cant these mind readers tell us the cost of these magnificent fishing devices

JusFshn
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I guarantee I will if I choose to do so.

A man that speaks his mind.. Nothing wrong with that

JusFshn
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
It will be a black box + transducer +HD Head +GPS puck.

Sounds like you will need a tow fish to carry all the components:)

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Competition is always good. I see a lot of people trashing Hummingbird and their side imaging. I've had a 997 for over a year now without so much as a single problem. (has worked fine from 12 degrees to 99 degrees) Heck, I don't even struggle to find waypoints that I mark. My unit has showed me structure that I never knew existed and giant schools of fish. I'm very happy with my unit.

And this makes me wonder why some units work so good and some don't. Maybe it is the geographic location. Maybe it is the different map file size. I know a bunch of folks here in the Ky Lake area with HB and we all have the same problem.

Humminbird rep said it is a common complaint.

GRIZZ
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I have seen some fish bait delivery rigs in action. Neat.

YouTube - Eurofishing ( Baitboat the Navigator) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQuM2KHLZk&feature=related)

YouTube - Bait Boat Fishing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzyHGChRrAE&feature=related)

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 06:27 PM
YouTube - Bait Boat Fishing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzyHGChRrAE&feature=related)

R/C boats are fun. I have built all types over the years. I suffer from technology addiction. Ain't no known cure for it.

drifter106
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the new HDS models all come with a GPS antenna in the case. It has been moved somewhat (from the middle of the case to the top). Maybe your referring to the LGC-4000 receiver??? Ducer is gonna be "large".

Cane Pole
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the new HDS models all come with a GPS antenna in the case. It has been moved somewhat (from the middle of the case to the top). Maybe your referring to the LGC-4000 receiver??? Ducer is gonna be "large".

I believe you right about the built in antenna.

Yep on 4000. it is an extra. Gougers one and all.:( I couldn't get much out of the Lowrance folks. You prob right about the xducer.

The new GPS antenna refreshes 5 times per second. Should not be too much lag and good speed over land accuracy. I am just repeating what I read. I ain't never seen one except in the Cabelas and the Web.

Crappie Reaper
02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
hey i live in tulsa talked to the lady @ front desk(linda ford) some time ago she told me lowrance built si years ago but people didnt buy it so they stopped selling them

I had bought an Eagle Ultra ll back in the mid 80's and it had an optional side scan transducer. I bought one, albeit very early stages of the side scan generation, it did show fish out to the one side of the boat. It was a trolling motor mount that aimed left or right, and you just turned your TM to view what was there. Lowrance has had their own version of side scan technology. If anything, perhaps HB reverse engineered a Lowrance product and came up with their own that could be patented. Either way, it's a good thing as it might eventually lower the prices.

icemanrrc
02-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Patents are a bunch of bullchit.

You can be the one who spends all of the time, money, and energy making something and as soon as you do it, someone will make a clone of it with little or no cost to them and make all the money and in many cases, put YOU out of business. So basically, the inventer goes broke or makes a small profit while the copy cats make millions. What is wrong with this picture?

Look at the Sweet Beaver for example from Reaction Innovations. As soon as these baits caught on fire, BPS came out with their own version as well as many other companies. Flat out copying this bait. Patents are so easy to get around. It's pathetic!

Wannabe...
02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Side imaging Lowrance? I'll belive it when I see it, like it when I see how it works and buy it when I can afford it.

..............and there ain't nothing you can do about it either. :)

Wannabe...

hotmod
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I think i'll stick with my Hummingbird, seem to work just fine to me & friends who have had them longer than me would'nt take for theirs. I'm sure Lowrance has good products as does Hummingbird. Just because a person preferes one brand does not mean he or she should bash the other.

I belong to several forums & this one is by far the worse for bashing that i see, not only on Hummingbird but other subjects as well.

CarpPoop
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
If Lowrance comes out with an SI unit then I would say to Humminbird now.....fix your lagging GPS! If you stay status quo you will get buried in this market very fast once there is a competant competitor. Im pretty sure Lowrance wont put a subpar GPS in their units if they produce them. Im waiting for that fix Humminbird!

drifter106
02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I think i'll stick with my Hummingbird, seem to work just fine to me & friends who have had them longer than me would'nt take for theirs. I'm sure Lowrance has good products as does Hummingbird. Just because a person preferes one brand does not mean he or she should bash the other.

I belong to several forums & this one is by far the worse for bashing that i see, not only on Hummingbird but other subjects as well.

I am surprised that you are even here:rolleyes:. Looking at it from another perspective...now that your here it makes for a better forum:).

For one person to "bash" is another persons way of showing constructive criticism. These forums are policed well, thank you!

I hope you continue to have good luck with your HB...

ShilohRed
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess I have been lucky also. My old 987c-SI has worked great. And have not had any issues with it working right. Could it by, that some mount them right? It took me a week or so to get mine set up. But after that its been a great unit.
Also have used mine on Ky lake and no issues there with it.
As for the other one coming out with one. I bet if they do come out with a SI unit. You can bet it will be $3000+ by the time you by all the parts to make it work.
Pete
PS heres the link to humminbirds patent

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1="side+imaging"&s2=sonar&OS=

Barnacle Bill
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Personally I've been considering upgrading my sounding line with a more modern lead.

Cane Pole
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Personally I've been considering upgrading my sounding line with a more modern lead.

:):):)