Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: On Ice Overnight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default On Ice Overnight?

hey guys just wondering how long is too long to keep fish on ice before fileting them. i've heard some people say that a day or two is alright, but i've also heard that even overnight is not good for the meat. i'm not planning on keeping my catch iced down for days, but i don't have a good fish cleaning station with lights so its much easier to wait and clean them in the morning when i have some sunlight. thanks
    Last edited by adamr; 06-26-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who has kept them on ice over night for years now ---I,ve ate a lot of his fish ,they taste real good to me
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamr
    hey guys just wondering how long is too long to keep fish on ice before fileting them. i've heard some people say that a day or two is alright, but i've also heard that even overnight is not good for the meat. i'm not planning on keeping my catch iced down for days, but i don't have a good fish cleaning station with lights and so its much easier to wait and clean them in the morning when i have some sunlight. thanks

on fish i keep when i come home from a night stalk, ill pour enough ice over them to cover em good, pull the plug out of the cooler so the water can drain , and let em set till i get to em, usually sometime the next day. i have kept em a second day, (with plenty of ice) with no problem.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have often kept them on ice for several days. The fish markets do it all the time. I usually use water frozen in jugs so they don't soak in water or leave the drain out like Rango said. Somewhere I read or heard that as long as their gills are still red they are ok to eat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I ice mine down after nearly every trip. Never had a problem
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen commercial fishing boats with iced fish in their holds for several days. Overnight is no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple days is even fine...just drain the water occassionally and put new ice on them as it melts down....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I too have kept them a coupla days with no problem.Go with the gills if their red the fish is ok!! Good Fishin To Ya !!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

As a general rule, I seldom get back to the house before dark, and in those cases I put more ice in the cooler and remove the plug, as described by some of the previous posts. If I limit out, which is seldom, and I'm back early, I clean them immediately. I have never noticed any difference in taste or texture.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot for the replies fellas. it sure is much more easy and convenient for me to clean them the next day.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"