Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Norman 1/31 With Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Norman 1/31 With Pics

Hit the water today at about 11 o clock and headed towards the Ramsey Creek are with Crappie on our minds. Got set up, caught a small bass or two, then one of our crappie rods lit up. Pops grabbed it and we soon had a 22" striper in the boat Caught a few more bass, but then switched to striper gear to see if we could catch some on more durable equipment. After an hour with only a few more bass, we converted back to crappie style. Immediately, a long line with a large minnow went off. It seriously took me two or three minutes to get the dang thing in. It turned out to be a FAT 20" striper. Alright, so as we take up all the rods to move to a different location, the long line goes off again. I grabbed it and found a slab crappie at the end, about 14 or 15 inches. Needless to say, into the livewell he went. We moved across the lake a little to the Mouth of Ramsey Creek and set up in 40' of water. Our Pal whiskerwhipper soon caught this nice perch on his infamous zebco rod. After a while, his lucky zebco goes off again, this time taking drag. Alot. He battled the beast for a while, and had it close to the boat. Just as I started to see his sinker, I heard SNAP. His 4lb line broke Oh well. (As of right now, his zebco is at my house and pops and I are putting some 10lb fireline on it for annonamous reasons:p) So we go back to the original starting point and it's about sunset. We go to the BACK of the creek and troll some minnows, hoping for a perch, and the crappie rod lit up again. After a LONG battle, another 22-24" striper goes into the well. All in a days work, I guess. All fish were caught on large minnows, with the exception of the crappie, which took a shiner.

Also, two bamboo brushpiles were dropped.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

nice job guys , looks like a fun time on the water !!
    Remember, throw'em back unless ITZAKEEPER ....

Post Thanks / Like

It was cold and windy!! We could have caught some crappie had we not had a 20mph cross wind. Funny how the stripes wanted our little crappie minnows. Had one of those puke up some shad in the live will and they were about 1-1/2" long, bout the same size of our minnows. Also of note, all the stripes we caught were on our bamboo from last spring. Imagine that, structure for striper fishing.

Like PJ35 posted, droped some very promising bamboo in some nice spots. Can't wait to try the Chicken Bone on a calm day, marked loads of fish that I just could not set up on because of that howling wind. Hard to tight line in 30' of water with the riptide on #6 speed setting.
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

nice job looks like fun ,that is a nice setup you got on your boat
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

You cant fish that chicken bone hole effectively in anything above a fart or you'll blow away. I love the thought process in the hole. Was funny, I had been eyeballing that place on the map for quite some time in what I kept telling myself would be a change in my fishing style..........then met you........and low and be hold.....you had one there. lol

Gotta love them stripers on crappie gear........we had a school of 18"ers bend over 6 rods on us one time.........all of the rods were 4'6 or 5'0 UL lol
    Last edited by TreednNC; 02-02-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Treed, got another hole "growing" on that big flat past the mouth of Ramsy. Found a 30' hump surounded with 40-50' of water. Wish you could have seen the humming bird when we went over the 40' bamboo. Looked like something from the "Blue planet".

Got 2 bundles of bamboo waiting to go.
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.