Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: To Fatboy

Post Thanks / Like

Default To Fatboy

Fatboy, I should be able to go fishing with you Thursday morning if you would like to go. I went fishing with a friend of mine on Tims the other day and we caught about 40 fish, but only had 7 big enough to keep. I had one that was 15 inches and very fat. I caught 4 off the dock down here yesterday that were 14 inches. I went today and didnt do any good. Did you catch any Friday? What is your email address? I wanna send you a pic, I cant get it to load on here. Take Care.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes crappieseeker i did go. First time i have had my boat in the water since i had the fuel filter changed. Got out of the no wake zone and gunned it. Same problem. The motor is acting like it is flooding out. So instead of going to where i wanted to , i fished around the bridge pilings at Morris Ferry for about three hours. Caught 31, but only four were keepers including what jerry blake calls a green carp. Loaded up and took the boat back to tullahoma and told them that i smell fuel really bad and it is leaving a terrible rainbow on the water behind me. I don't think its anything major, but just finding it is the main thing. I doubt i will have it back by thursday because i am gonna go ahead and let them put the kill switch on it for the fall brawl . They also are gonna fix my front live well aerator, my auto on my bilge and rewire my front trolling motor while it is there. If i get it back, we can go thursday morning. Drop me a line wednesday afternoon and i'll let you know one way or the other. Anybody out there got any experience with this sort of thing. Its a 175 horse Mariner . Has always ran strong and been very dependable. So far i have checked the gas mix, the compression, the fire, the plugs, the magnetto, the fuel filter, the gas bulb and the fuel lines. Any ideas anyone. Thanks.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default engine troubs

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Yes crappieseeker i did go. First time i have had my boat in the water since i had the fuel filter changed. Got out of the no wake zone and gunned it. Same problem. The motor is acting like it is flooding out. So instead of going to where i wanted to , i fished around the bridge pilings at Morris Ferry for about three hours. Caught 31, but only four were keepers including what jerry blake calls a green carp. Loaded up and took the boat back to tullahoma and told them that i smell fuel really bad and it is leaving a terrible rainbow on the water behind me. I don't think its anything major, but just finding it is the main thing. I doubt i will have it back by thursday because i am gonna go ahead and let them put the kill switch on it for the fall brawl . They also are gonna fix my front live well aerator, my auto on my bilge and rewire my front trolling motor while it is there. If i get it back, we can go thursday morning. Drop me a line wednesday afternoon and i'll let you know one way or the other. Anybody out there got any experience with this sort of thing. Its a 175 horse Mariner . Has always ran strong and been very dependable. So far i have checked the gas mix, the compression, the fire, the plugs, the magnetto, the fuel filter, the gas bulb and the fuel lines. Any ideas anyone. Thanks.
    If you have not been to this link, try it. It is good online help

www.themarinedoctor.com
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carburator?

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

That is what i think moose. But, i also hope it is just a tweak or turn somewhere and not the whole thing. If it is, guess i will just have to have it done cause i can't stand not getting to fish. Canepole, i remember that site from a long time ago, but i haven't been there. Going there shortly, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

fatboy..I had the same problem last year on my Merc and it turned out a linkage on the carburator had fallen off...the dealer fixed it..it worked great for 2 trips on the water and fell off again.....every cloud has a silver lining tho...my wife got tired of hearing me bitch about it and told me it was time to buy a new boat......no problem with the 2004...LOL...seriously...check the carbs...probably a simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mariner.....

Hello, fatboy.......As a Mariner owner, I have to agree they are dependable and have good power, but the carbs are somewhat prone to shellacking if gas is left in them, even if for only a few weeks. After mine shellacked up twice, I started using a fuel stabilizer and have had no problems since. By your description of the symptoms, it could also be the timing advance linkage. If it's not advancing, it could be dumping unburned fuel out thru the exhaust, due to the timing remaining at idle setting. Have you seen any gas accumulating anywhere in the engine? If so, be very aware of fire hazard. The only other thing I can think of is a float in one of the carbs has developed a leak and will no longer shut off the gas flow, thereby flooding the engine and possibly leaking inside the cowling. If you do anything to the engine yourself, first disconnect the cranking batteries to avoid the danger of sparks. FYI, a shellacked carb can cause almost identical symptoms to those you described. If you are using a stabilizer in your fuel, then it is probably not due to a fouled carb. Hope you get it running soon enough to take crappieseeker fishing! Wish you both the best of luck......

Post Thanks / Like

labill, thanks for wishing me and Fatboy goodluck. We will get together one day, and I'm sure we will catch some fish. Soon as he gets that boat going.

Post Thanks / Like

Fatboy I had problems with my boat It would idle fine it would even run good
    on the hose muffle but as soon as I gunned it out in water and put a load on it
    she killed I got a gasket kit and changed a few gaskets the one I think it was
    wasa very small gasket had worn in the fuel pump and when I would gun it it got
    too much air and killed.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

i asked around today at work and got a few leads on the possible cause. There are a lot of fishermen where i work and i have been suggested everything to fuel line, to hard plumbed fuel line on the carb, to fuel mix. The more i ask, the more confused i get. All i know is i want my boat to run like it did so i can concentrate on fishing instead of worrying.