Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

Well I thought I had solved my GPS problem by selling the one I had because it was too complicated for me. So what do my boys do, they go out and buy dad a newer one for father's day and it is suppose to be simpler to use. They didn't stop there, they also got an external antenna and a program called Map Create. The unit is a Lowrance iFinder H2O. So far it does seem a lot easier to use. When we got to the lake the other day I pushed a button and it aked me if I wanted to make this my home waypoint, so I said yes. When it came time to leave I highlighted it and said go to. It appeared to work but the only problem was if I had followed it I would have had to go thru some woods, across a road and god knows where else. I assume it was showing me the shortest route. And I haven't even opened the Map Create box yet. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do do some learning for this one because I know they will want me to demonstrate it. What is this "Fishing Hot Spots" I keep reading about? Is it worth the money or will this Map Create stuff I got be just as good? Please keep in mind my favorite personal slogan "KISS" keep it simple stupid. I'm refering to me, not you.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Well what I do is mark the path I take in the boat lane with little X's as waypoint icons. This way you can follow them back even in the fog or night time. Just place the icon every 100 yards or so that way you can just go from x to x all the way to your spot or back home. Every once in a while you will want to delete your trails or you will end up with so many lines showing where you travel they will just get in the way of you view of the actual icons you put out.

Never delete all your icons or you will be starting over, lol!

Oh and use a different icon to mark other things like a big stump you may hit or a fishing spot you want to return to.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lowrance x15mt with gps and have the map create program and the hot spots program to. i think if i had it to do over again, id forget the hot spots and go with the map create and a good topographic map of the lake. I dont know how yours marks a trail, but on my unit, it starts marking the trail as soon as the wass has become enabled and leaves a track from there to where ever i go. when i get ready to come home, if i need to use it, all i do is follow the track back. you can also mark a trail using waypoints, which will be the straightest distance from one point to the next. if i want to keep this trail for future use, i dont delete it when i delete all my other tracks. at least thats my take on the unit. ive had it about four years and still aint learned all the tricks it will do. maybe one day ill read the instruction manual
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

ive had it about four years and still aint learned all the tricks it will do. maybe one day ill read the instruction manual [/QUOTE]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That would take all the fun out of it.:D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    I have the lowrance x15mt with gps and have the map create program and the hot spots program to. i think if i had it to do over again, id forget the hot spots and go with the map create and a good topographic map of the lake. I dont know how yours marks a trail, but on my unit, it starts marking the trail as soon as the wass has become enabled and leaves a track from there to where ever i go. when i get ready to come home, if i need to use it, all i do is follow the track back. you can also mark a trail using waypoints, which will be the straightest distance from one point to the next. if i want to keep this trail for future use, i dont delete it when i delete all my other tracks. at least thats my take on the unit. ive had it about four years and still aint learned all the tricks it will do. maybe one day ill read the instruction manual
    Instructional manual?? Comon Rango, nobody reads those! LOL This thing comes with a 64MB thingy. Would you recommend I get a bigger one? I see Wally World has a 256MB for about $25 bucks.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys have not looked at the Navionics MMC card maybe you should unless you are fortunate enough that your lake is one that lowrance has made a detailed map for ( I am not that lucky). How the Navionice MMC card will show your contour lines as well as all the creeks. So if you see a bend in a creek you would like to check out just drive right to that bend. I do not have the premium Hot Map because I think if your lake like mine is on they have the HD detail on it's too much info and the 1 foot contour lines can be a bit much.

However I would not let my Hot Maps Gold version get away from me, it's the best tool I have ever used to see and find what I am looking for.

I have the Lowrance LMS 480 and since color is now much better (readable in teh sun) I would probably have bought the 332c, but that is just me and I am just fine with my LMS 480.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to some good info on GPS. It might help understand better how it all works. Then read your new user manual. I hate to see you not be able to use that unit and sell it like the one I bought from you. I am about to try and teach my dad how to use one. So I understand its hard.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    If you guys have not looked at the Navionics MMC card maybe you should unless you are fortunate enough that your lake is one that lowrance has made a detailed map for ( I am not that lucky). How the Navionice MMC card will show your contour lines as well as all the creeks. So if you see a bend in a creek you would like to check out just drive right to that bend. I do not have the premium Hot Map because I think if your lake like mine is on they have the HD detail on it's too much info and the 1 foot contour lines can be a bit much.

However I would not let my Hot Maps Gold version get away from me, it's the best tool I have ever used to see and find what I am looking for.

I have the Lowrance LMS 480 and since color is now much better (readable in teh sun) I would probably have bought the 332c, but that is just me and I am just fine with my LMS 480.
    Here is my opinion on the garmin hotspot vs lowrance navionics maps. The navionics only come on the mmc card, the hotspots come on a cd. The cd you install to your computer than able to view and add things to the map then download to the gps unit. The navionics you have to go and purchase a additional program to be able to view the maps 100 to 150 dollars. Also the hotspot maps shows small triangles for trees, the navionics has a line and small text that says trees. Also the hotspots maps has info for individual spots on the map (most have to do with bass fishing..which sucks) The navionics only says "bass" "crappie", you cannot get any info about that spot. I dont know how the lowrance hotspot maps compares. But I dont think I would never buy the navionics maps again. Very over priced for what you get. The mapping might be better with navionics, I havent turned both on at the same time to compare on the water with garmins. The only plus is that if you do purchase a lowrance they have a few depending on the state you want free maps to download. I am running this on the 332c, yes color is much better. I would say over time, like the black and white tv being replaced, all depthfinders will become color. But I am like you it might be better to get a good topo map of the lake on paper and go from there.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Hot Spots maps are sold in Paper form. They have maps for many different lakes. The data used to make these paper maps is also sold to companies like Garmin or Lowrance and used in the Mapsource Fishing HotSpot Maps.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

that was a short one moose
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast