Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing and weather fronts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing and weather fronts

I know weather fronts can have a great effect on fishing. Up here in NE PA we have had a week of stable weather, now it's getting hot with possible thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon. I can fish Sat or Sun, so I was wondering if I'd have a better luck fishing Sat before the thunderstorms, or would Sun be just as good? I guess what I'm really wondering, should the possible thunderstorms be considered some kind of front that could effect fishing, or is something like that which moves thru fast not going to effect fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fronts

My experience with summer time crappie, limited as it is, is that I personally never do as well after a front as immediately before it. Seems to take most of a day for my fish to adjust or more likely for me to adjust. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Possum1, usually much better before/during a storm then after the front passes. It's a barometer thing that affects fish. My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree as well, usually better before/during than after.

In fact, sometimes we have caught more during the storm than even before it. Not to mention, sometimes the rain will really make a mess out of the lake. (i.e. if it is a bad storm blowing debris, leaves and limbs into the water, and water run-off causing the water to get extremely muddy)

I would try to go before if it were me personally....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback, I would say go fishing a often as you can but be safe. My experience tells me that I catch allot more fish when I'm fishing than thinking about going fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor
    Shellback, I would say go fishing a often as you can but be safe. My experience tells me that I catch allot more fish when I'm fishing than thinking about going fishing.

Yeah, that too.....I wouldn't get caught up with phases of the moon, level of the lake, etc....JUST FISH!

Some of my best days were on days you never would have thought anything was gonna bite.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other guys - just go when you can - BUT if I had to pick between before or after a front, always go just before. Additionally, it is typically overcast pre-front and bluebird after so I am sure I wouldn't have too many people argue with me when I claim that fishing on cloudy days is generally more productive than bright sunny days, especially if you are on a shallow pattern.

Of course, what the hell do I know, I am from north MS, and we don't have fronts come through here anymore. Other than a quick soaking from the remnants of that little hurricane, I literally do not remember the last time it rained here - has to be going on 2 months. Arkabutla and Sarids are going to dry up soon and you will see a bunch of MS tags headed north on I55 to fish instead of the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the rest, befor for sure. And check a baramoter if you have one just for s... and giggles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I agree about fishing whenever you can, but it's a $40.00 gas bill for my truck on the 200 mile round trip to the lake. The price of gas and the fact I'm making 1/2 the money I did on my old job sorta puts the damper on alot of trips for me. The good news is my blood pressure is down 20 points with the new job! Looks like I'll be heading out early in the morning to beat the front!

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback,like everyone else-before!Been using my Humminbird Weather Sence for about aweek now.It confirms so far whats been said-falling barometer[active fish-front moving in],Rising barometer=inactive fish!! Good Fishin To Ya!!! Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast