Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tandem rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tandem rigging

I am getting things in line for my first trip to my local stumped me lake. I am thinking of running a tandem setup so I fish many colors and many sizes at the same time. Remember, I can only fish with one pole here with up to 3 hooks.

What I am thinking is running a 1/16 crappie jig on the bottom, then a 1/32 about 6 inches above that and then a 1/64 or smaller above that.

What I need to know is what is the best way to set them up on a jigging rig either from a boat or under a float? Tie them in tight to the line? Make a rig that has leaders running to each jig? I know tangling is an issue but this area is not fished very hard so there is only the token advice about what works. I figure the more I can use at one time the better chance I have at finding what they will hit.

Or is it better to use single jigs at any time and just switch out after fishing for a couple minutes without a bite?
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everything you asked about will work at one time or another. The problem is to find what works best at the time you're fishing.

Most days I start with either a 1/16 or 1/32 jig head with a chart/black, chart/red or blue/white tube and see what happens. I may add a float if I need to slow things down or work a jig above cover.

I rarely feel a need to fish tamdem jigs but on occasion I do. I do it more as a debth control tool rather than tryig to offer more choices. Using combonations of weights allows you to work deeper or shallower as/if needed.

In Ohio we are allowed 2 rods. Generally I just use the 1 rod unless I am fishing minnows or I more likely I hang a rod with a minnow off the side of the boat while I'm fishing jigs with my other rod.

I think the real advantage to multiple rods is when you're vertical or long line trolling.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The most I ever use is two jigs. Use loop knots with the heavier one on the bottom. 1/16 on bottom and 1/32nd on top; or I use my dropper loop technique.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...rig-photo.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I always tie my jig on bottom 1/16 or 1/8 depending on depth.Then I tie a #2 aberdeen hook about 14in. up useing a pylmer knot. The reason for tying direct to the main line.I believe you can detect alight bite better. With a loop knot giving that little bit of slack a fish can just come up and inhale the bait and never feel him. (vertical fishing that is) BUT ITS ALL GOOD:D

Post Thanks / Like

Most I've ever used is two at a time and the heavier one is always on the bottom. If they show a preference for one height or another I may switch over. Since I use two poles I have one setup for hair jig top/tube bottom and the other hair bottom/ tube top

Fatman