Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawn ?s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn ?s

What is the water temp when crappie move to the beds?

Does moon phase effect the spawn activity?

What is the water depth where you can find beds?

Post Thanks / Like

I try to start the search when the temps get in the 50 range. Around this area, I have found some very nice Crappie that had moved in when the temps get in the 52 area. Some waters, if you wait too long, the majority of the fish you do come across will be dinks. It seems to me the bulk of the bigger Crappie seem to spawn a lot earlier. Most are no more than 3' deep and around brush or stickups.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink (Very) Generally speaking ...

Quote Originally Posted by LedHed View Post
    What is the water temp when crappie move to the beds?

Does moon phase effect the spawn activity?

What is the water depth where you can find beds?

Water temps past the 50deg mark are a signal for Crappie to begin their move towards the spawning banks. Also be aware of the fact that Northern banks, especially dark bottom banks & rocky shoreline banks will warm faster that the surrounding deeper water areas ... and fish could already be cruising those banks, looking for prime real estate and/or feeding up for the rigors of spawning.

I can't say, scientifically, that it's been proven that Moon phase has a significant effect on spawning (for Crappie) .... but, after 5yrs of planning Spring tournament dates, and coinciding them with Full Moon periods, and having the success rate that the competitors did ... there does seem to be something to it

Water depth of beds depends on alot of different factors. Water clarity, water temps, water levels & stability, available cover & correct type of cover in the preferred depth & water temp, specie of Crappie involved, overall weather trend, and so on ... will determine depth of water being spawned in. I've experienced finding spawning beds in as little as 2' of water, all the way down to 10' of water. But, one factor has always been present, regardless of all the other "conditions" .... wood (though, that's not surprising, seeing as how most of the lakes I fish, have no grass/weeds :p )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

males move in and prepare beds around 55 degrees. then the females will move in around 60-65 and spawn. at 70 the females leave to their summer time haunts and the males move in. at 75-80 the males move off....most of the spots i fish the big gills will be moving in close by.

Post Thanks / Like

Thnx for your replys.

Post Thanks / Like

Do crappie fan out beds like bream, I have never seen a crappie bed (that I know of) and always thourght that they just kinda rubbed up against wood or other structure and deposited their eggs. Has anyone actually seen crappie on the bed like bream???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polarcrafter View Post
    Do crappie fan out beds like bream, I have never seen a crappie bed (that I know of) and always thourght that they just kinda rubbed up against wood or other structure and deposited their eggs. Has anyone actually seen crappie on the bed like bream???
    Yes. One lake I fish is pretty clear and I have seen crappie on beds. There beds are not bunched like bream. They are a little more scattered and are typicaly touching some type of wood or in a dense tangle of weeds. They are fanned out just like bream beds.
    Brian

Will fish for food!