Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing in SoCAL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in SoCAL

Hey I am new to this site and seems to be fairly informative.

I live in SoCAL actually in Orange County area and was wondering some good places locally to do some crappie fishing.

WalePescado Guest

I'm in OC as well.

The San Diego lakes seem to produce the best crappie by way of quality for me. El Capitan is open year round and Lake Hodges opens on 2/4 on a Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday schedule.

Hodges treated me well last year in the submerged timber by the 15 freeway bridge.

I've also fished Lake Wohlford in Escondido and Lower Otay near Chula Vista for nice sized slabs.

Lake Perris is probably the closest (not much further than Hodges or Wohlford as the crow flies) place to catch crappie in numbers and decent sized if you can find a school. I've caught them there fishing off the dock in the marina and with a jig n' bobber from the damn - never targeted them in a boat or float tube.

Please post a report if you go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WalePescado View Post
    I'm in OC as well.

The San Diego lakes seem to produce the best crappie by way of quality for me. El Capitan is open year round and Lake Hodges opens on 2/4 on a Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday schedule.

Hodges treated me well last year in the submerged timber by the 15 freeway bridge.

I've also fished Lake Wohlford in Escondido and Lower Otay near Chula Vista for nice sized slabs.

Lake Perris is probably the closest (not much further than Hodges or Wohlford as the crow flies) place to catch crappie in numbers and decent sized if you can find a school. I've caught them there fishing off the dock in the marina and with a jig n' bobber from the damn - never targeted them in a boat or float tube.

Please post a report if you go!

Lake Henshaw is a good Crappie lake just be sure to check the wind forecast before you go it can get pretty gusty and they won't let you launch a boat if the forecast is for strong winds. I usually call the day before to see what the forecast is....
    Lake Hodges opens this week I am going to fish it this weekend I will post the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Rained out this weekend....Oh well gave me a chance to rewire the boat and get ready for crappie season. Hoping for one good day this week to try out some Lake Hodges crappie action.

Happy Fishing!