Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Still Fishless at Falls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Fishless at Falls

I went Saturday for a while at the Beaverdam spillway and let me tell you the skunk is my best friend these days. In hours I sis not get anything but humbled. The most I got was a nibble from something that I failed to hook. I dont know what is different this year but the winter feed up that usually occures at this location is just not happening or just has not begun this year yet. Anyone else have any speculations agout this Falls lake pattern. I call it a pattern because I talk to many who have the same or simmilar results. Im baffeles. This is usually when I have my best fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

it is humbling aint it. lol
    I'm planning on a trip out to drop a few brush piles on friday, if I can ever get my van back from the shop, hit a deer a few weeks ago, my little honda wont pull the boat very well, I'll keep ya posted,
    hey I bet with this high water. we'll have a great eno run this year anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing has been way down in that area about the whole month of Jan (IMO). Can't help but wonder that the pounding the 50 area fish took during the low water period (since much of the uplake stuff was not easily fished by boat) has had an effect. Not placing blame on anyone (I was out there myself) but there was an awful lot of crappie taken out from that area - including many in buckets at the ramp that most would have let back to grow bigger. The crappie that are there now (at least the few biting ones) seem to be running larger than normal which indicates perhaps less competition for food. But not a fisheries biologist and the Eno takes a pounding and seems to bounce back year after year (let's hope it continues to do so).

But thats my theory/excuse and I'm sticking to it. Certainly can't be from lack of angling skill. Going to give them a hard look this weekend, likely target down toward S bends, will report back.
    o2bbassin

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that I have been wondering the same thing about the pounding the fish took last year. Who knows. I agree that the fish I caught this winter were almost all real nice size fish. There has been a fron passing through almost every time I have fished this winter though and that never bodes well for my fishing it seems in the past. I GUESS TIME WILL TELL.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on this,,,Falls has been some kind of slow.

I'm glad I skipped Falls last weekend and hit the river,,too much of a dry spell can get you down.

As far as whether or not the fish are around, I am marking more fish at Falls than I ever have. (Although fish arches and deer tracks do make thin soup,,,)

On a brighter note, maybe the dry spell means more hungry fish to catch in February!!

Post Thanks / Like

splitshot LOL on the dry spell. Im really DOWN. I need to catch some Crappie now. Im hearing all the boaters that fish there saying that they are marking tons of fish also but they just are not biting like you say. So it kind of flys in the face of the fish pounding having an effect on the population at Falls. IMaybe the fish have had an education from the pounding and know what not to eat. Anyone think they got educated? Maybe thats why we catch big fish now. Cant teach an old fish new tricks. lol