Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock Shooting, explain please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting, explain please

I have tried to get a good example online and there are 100 different ways for 100 different sites and 100 different jigs.

I also see jigs that members call their dock shooting jigs.

What does it all mean? How do you do it? Is there a reason to use the specific jigs besides preference?
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I modify my jig heads by converting a ballhead into an asprin head using a pair of pliers.

I feel I get a better hold on the flat head.
    I also tie shooters with whitetail hair instead of marabou since it is hollow. My thinking is it will fall a little slower. I have been experimenting with glow flashabou since most of my best producing docks are enclosed. Smaller heads are also used alot since they make less of a splash.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Post Thanks / Like

it is really just your preference. but just about the only way i fish for crappie is dock shooting. i would suggest you start out with tube heads and bass assassins. push the body of the jig partially up on the hook up close to the lead. take some super glue with the brush and brush a small amount of glue on the lead part of the jig. push the body up on the lead and let it dry. you will find that bass assassins skip better than most jigs. as you become accustomed to shooting the jig accurately , you can try the jigs of your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

The jig is just preference. here is a video that may help.
    YouTube - Crappie Fishing / Dock Shooting 2

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/32 jig with a tube on it. (1/32s sink slow) Then skip them like a stone under a dock. A little practice and it is easy.
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I've tried alot of different baits .......

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I have tried to get a good example online and there are 100 different ways for 100 different sites and 100 different jigs.
    I also see jigs that members call their dock shooting jigs.
    What does it all mean? How do you do it? Is there a reason to use the specific jigs besides preference?
    ... everything from hair jigs to jighead/plastics to RR's to Whirly Bees. Most effective dock shooting setup that I've used ... jighead/Panfish Assassin. Mostly it's due to the good skipping nature of the bait, as I can usually get it well back under a dock ... even if I don't get the perfect shot off :D

How to : (or rather "How I do" ) : see my reply in this thread - http://www.crappie.com/crappie/south...-shooting.html

I normally use a 1/16oz jighead, but if fall rate is a factor ... I'll drop down to 1/32oz. Have yet to have to go heavier or lighter, and haven't had the need to put a float on the line ... but, if that's how you do it, or if that's how it has to be done, given your circumstances, then you go dude :p .. and more power to ya !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Assassin is my bait of choice. I skip it under docks on a 1/16 jig head. They can skip off the water 2-5 times before they sink.
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Dock Shooting - 101

Dock shooting is one of the most rewarding way to target crappie all year long. Crappie like dark water and deep water at the same time.
    We like to use a 1/16oz jig to shoot dock, it fall slow enough to get the crappie to bit, and it heavy enough so you can reach way back to the dark water.
    Look at the photos and you can see how the rods are bending, we are holding on the lead and have the hook pointing up and away from our finger.
    We use a 5' 4" to 5' 6" rod, Power Light Action Fast action with 6lb Sufix Elite mono or 2 -10 Power Pro.

Shooting Docks on Caddo Lake

Crappie form Shooting Docks

Caddo Lake Dream Team Crappie Jigs.
    We do have a DVD on Shooting Dock, it will be out in about 10 day, in on Caddo Lake.

CADDO LAKE Dream Team
    Signature Series Crappie Jigs
    By BNB Crappie Jigs a.k.a. CrappieDale
    www.bnbcrappiejigs.com

Until We Meet Again Catch as many as you can, but only keep what you need.
    GOD BLESS & good fishing.
    For a trip on caddo lake go to - fishingwithdennis.com and book you a trip today
    on beautiful Caddo Lake and have the opportunity to catch a trophy of a lifetime.
    Dennis North
    Fishing With Dennis North - Caddo Lake Guide Service - HOME
    Full time Professional Guide Service
    on Caddo lake
    903 930-5460
    email: [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is what I am talking about. Either a side arm snap or a sling shot cast is what I thought. Is so much better to hear directly from the ones who know what they are doing.

Now I just have to practice. The docks here are up off the water but they are small and short so it will be a challenge.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Midwest Crappie has a good show on the basics of dock shooting. There you can watch the process in action.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast