Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the nightstalkers.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For the nightstalkers.

Some of you ask about lights in the water. Well the Q-beam has drawn more shad than other lights around me 3 nights in a row. Tonight they were very thick.

and thicker

well you get the idea...

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smitty, I know this has been asked before. How far is the light submersed? Do you have floating lights also? Do you keep a regualr light on in the boat all the time, or a lantern? Do you use a black light?

I fished on Wislon about 3 weeks ago at night for the first time. I put the light about 4 feet into the water and I think it was too far. We caught one crappie and he was on the bottom at about 21 feet. Fished over one of my favorite brush piles.
    Another question. How often do you move? Do you sit on one spot and anchor, or do you slow drift, or move from spot to spot? Thanks.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    Smitty, I know this has been asked before. How far is the light submersed? Do you have floating lights also? Do you keep a regualr light on in the boat all the time, or a lantern? Do you use a black light?

I fished on Wislon about 3 weeks ago at night for the first time. I put the light about 4 feet into the water and I think it was too far. We caught one crappie and he was on the bottom at about 21 feet. Fished over one of my favorite brush piles.
    Another question. How often do you move? Do you sit on one spot and anchor, or do you slow drift, or move from spot to spot? Thanks.
    i drop my lights about a foot deep. floating lights and clamp ons will work just fine if thats the way your taste runs. I used to carry three 20 lb propane tanks that run three lanterns. then i cut the lanterns down to two on one tank, then i really got smart after several fires and rigged up a couple clamp ons which i mount on the console above the windshield , one shining to the front and one to the back which lights the boat up real good. i wont knowingly set up over a brush pile but out from it a bit, which cuts down on the hangs and breakoffs. it takes time for the lights to do their thing. if you keep moving, then you arent givin em a chance to work for you. be patient. occasionally ill move but not very often, and then only if someone is threatening me. we dont drift. we anchor. good fishing
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,
    I am new to the night stalk, but not for long. Question for ya:

How do you guys keep the light(s) out and away from the boat? Do you tie them to a rod or what? Do you think it is important to keep them out from the boat?
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfraley
    Hey guys,

How do you guys keep the light(s) out and away from the boat? Do you tie them to a rod or what? Do you think it is important to keep them out from the boat?
    Good question! I am looking this year at keeping them out away from the boat more. I have several extra rod holders onboard I could use a old bass fishing rig for this. Been thinking about making some type of a PVC pipe set up that fit on a driftmaster rod holder.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Rango, ditto on the fire hazard. Need new carpet on the front deck of my boat now because of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by jfraley
    Hey guys,

jfraley, I use 2 drop lights tied to the side of the boat about a foot deep and I use 2 lanterns hung with some pvc poles that I rigged to go in my rod holders (these are out about 4 feet from the boat) with the lanterns further out from the boat the bugs are not as bad.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I hang a latern in the middle of the boat by the console. I don't keep it on much. The white light that's required by law lights my boat up pretty good. Also, I use the Night Blaster light that straps around my head. It runs on 2 AA batteries and it lasted all night. Very convient, every where I looked it was lit up. There was a good breaze the night we fished, so we did not have a problem with bugs.

It just seem like it is better to have the light out from the boat and closer to your lines. In FalconSmitty's post you can tell that the lights are not right beside the boat. Tying the light(s) to a rod is not such a bad idea, I thought that some of you experienced night stalkers might have a better solution. I thought about tying it to a large piece of styrofoam, but I could still drift around and end right back beside your boat.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Light Holder

Ok guys,

I found something that I think will work really good for holding lights. It is a modification of the light below. I got the pic off of thecrappiekiller.com. Instead of having the light, I can rig up some PVC to go over my rod holder base, stick out and hold my light(s). This way the lights are out from the boat, closer to my lines and I am not using a rod/rod holder to hold the light. I think it has potential. By the way, any us the lights in the pic. Let me know your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jfraley; 06-28-2005 at 11:02 AM.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good jfraley. Smitty....How long does a Q-beam last on one battery or 2 Q-beams connected to 1 battery?

Thanks,

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast