PDA

View Full Version : todays crappie tip

albiechaser
01-27-2009, 04:35 AM
lol try this some time folks, crappie scouting,

Get out there with your multiple rod setup and start trolling. As soon as you hook that first fish, stop the boat and put a hook in the crappies back( not to deep) and a line (4lb) around 10 to 15 long with a small bobber. Let that little guy go, and watch him go back an join his friends. Walla you now know where the school is, , get out the jigs and cast away.

chaunc
01-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Not very sportsmanlike and also illegal here in PA.

bugman
01-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Old news and also illegal (and unsportsmanlike) here in Missouri.

Charger
01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Old news and also illegal (and unsportsmanlike) here in Missouri.

I agree, very unsportsman and also illegal in Tenn.

albiechaser
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM
lol yup I know, so is using a chit load of rods mr. sportsman. I looked at it as funny.
(and have never done it).

but some folks dont, then again I look at a chicken with his head cut off, funny too.

and then again, I grew up when it was no big deal to bring a gun to school an show it off.
so is your glass 1/2 empty? we'll mines 1/2 full brother. keep it positive here my friend.

zappaf19
01-27-2009, 07:18 AM
I have seen them use balloons on the fish. Very unfair! I hope a CO catches them. People at the ramp had a lot to say to them when they pulled out. They will have to get their checks books out for that fine.
Bill

catch fillet
01-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Chaser,I laughed out loud at this.It is illegal,but I did see the humor in it.Like the chicken,but mine was wringing the the neck.

beenfishin?
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
No more usportsman like than trolling around with a virtual trot-line hangin off the front of your boat and side view depth finders and underwater cameras. It is just an "antique" fish finder, lighten up Mr. sportsman.

Crappie Reaper
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Too bad a fella can't train a dog to sniff fish farts and point the direction the school is moving. Wonder if that would be unsportsmanlike?

I've heard about this method many times, but have never tried it. If it was a matter of needing to feed many mouths, I'd have no problems trying the method in question. As for a day of fishing and relaxation, I'd never consider it.

I wonder if it works with catfish? You could play, follow the jug and work the area around it, all the while, not interfering with the jug which someone else placed and expects to retrieve a fish from.

robbor
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Very interesting to see everyone say this is unsportsmanlike, i guess its unsportsmanlike also to use a fish finder, hook fish your are just going to throw back anyway, or use live bait. I have have heard of it but never paid any attention. I kind of double it would work as well as expected. I would think that when since these fish already know their own pattern that when hooked twice they would be seeking refuge/hiding over companionship. It would be interesting to test.

FishCrazy
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont see where it is any more unsportsmanlike than any of the more acceptable means of finding fish. Fishfinders, gps units to locate a brush pile that you put in to attract the crappie to a location for their introduction to the grease pit. So why isnt a fishfinder illegal in these states that this activity is illegal in. What is the big difference in the two methods. I would bet that some of you who cried unsportsmanlike use fish finders. How is it different. I dont get it.

albiechaser
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
well bless my heart. will ya look at this.

Crappie Trolling: Learn The Basics! | fishing rods | fishing reels (http://fishingfactguide.com/crappie-trolling-learn-the-basics/)

someone done stoll my idea. lol

skiptomylu
01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
When it's illegal that should be enough to realize it's not a come an exceptable method and it is very different than sonar and gps. I know here in Texas it is not allowed.

However the way to really do it and not expand the laws of what you can do, just keep trolling back and forth over the same area and just keep your boat on the same contour as much as possible. They will not stop biting and it will not spook them like stopping to fish them. That is my way!

Skip

beenfishin?
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Crappie Trolling: Learn The Basics! | fishing rods | fishing reels (http://fishingfactguide.com/crappie-trolling-learn-the-basics/)

Why that there feller is just downright unsportsman like, now ain't he? :D I didn't see nothin in there bout no thousands of dollars worth of lectronics, neither.

Specktater
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Is this for when you forgot where you just caught a crappie or do caught crappie go looking for a safer school?;)

Crappie Reaper
01-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Generic website. Nothing special at all. I tried to find out WHO the authors were for the articles. I noticed that there were no comments left after any of the articles. I also noticed that to leave a reply, one must be logged in. The only place I found that had a possible link to log in went to an error page. My guess is that the site owner is nothing more than someone who has a webpage and has sold space to the usual buyers for advertising purposes. I'd bet big money that every one of the articles printed on the site have been stolen from other sites.

My guess is the guy knows close to zilch about fishing and concentrates more on his bottom line. It's a very sad excuse for a fishing site.

Try to give us a real link, from real fishermen albiechaser. Someone who will actually let us know who he/she might be.

albiechaser
01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Is this for when you forgot where you just caught a crappie or do caught crappie go looking for a safer school?;)

both lol

are ya for the meat, or catch an release,
Different strokes for different folks, If we all like the same stuff I‘d be after your wife. LOL then again maybe not.
some like an edge, some just like bein out there, its all just fishen, an its all about having fun and getting away.
you cant take it to serious, life is to short,
and this site is all about sharing info, lets keep it that way.
Crappie fisherman are the kindest most considerate guys out there, you wont see em buss by at 100mph while your fishing, like most chumps on the lake. Although there are some, LOL

Me , I live for fishing, but don’t give a **** if I get skunked, there’s other ways to feed an ego. Like working hard,
For crappie I’m all about the meat, but only keep the nice ones, fish year round but mostly in the winter
Same for the eno whites that’s just around the corner, (limit 10 fish)
Then the Roanoke Shad, its 95% C/R (keep some for my monster drum trips in the Pamlico sound), fly fishing mostly.
Then the Roanoke Stripers, 100% on the fly and all C/R.
Then the NC mountains for trout, 100% C/R
Then monster carp in falls lake, 100% C/R (on 5’ lite rods) awesome fight,
Then the monster drum in the Pamlico sound, 100% C/R (night fishing)
Then Salmon/Steelhead up in NY, 100% C/R Fly fishing only. Been at it up there for 26 years strait.
Then harkers Island Albies, 100% C/R Fly fishing mostly, my favorite fish to fight.

Youall have a great day ya hear.

PS please xcuse da grammer, while you were in English I was fishing.
pss stay tuned for my new youtube video of my scout crappie in action.

albiechaser
01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Try to give us a real link, from real fishermen albiechaser. Someone who will actually let us know who he/she might be.[/QUOTE]

ok

cityboy
01-28-2009, 08:09 AM
lol try this some time folks, crappie scouting,

Get out there with your multiple rod setup and start trolling. As soon as you hook that first fish, stop the boat and put a hook in the crappies back( not to deep) and a line (4lb) around 10 to 15’ long with a small bobber. Let that little guy go, and watch him go back an join his friends. Walla you now know where the school is, , get out the jigs and cast away.

illegal in almost all states ,but i can see it necessary sometimes.i never had the ***** to try it .i try different lures from my online store .you may have heard of it .

cityboy

Ken Jones
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Albiechaser--I never troll for crappie on purpose. I've caught crappie targetting other species. You'll find out on this site there is people that is inconciderate. They said some nasty things about me when I first got onto this sight. Never mind them just do your thing. If its legal or elegal marking a fish so be it. That's your business, enjoy your fishing methods.

lynn sanders
02-13-2009, 08:33 PM
My e-mail address is Lostdeerhunter@aol.com...........I tried to post photos on the crappie .com but it advised that the photos were to large. Thanks for your reply

NoMinners
02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Easy guys, go fishin with cane pole and minners and relax. Electronics should pinpoint that school when found.

TreeMyDog
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Maybe I should start stabbing my crappies in the head to kill them before I fillet them so the PETA liberals won't get after ME too

:D:eek:

slabbandit
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey there albiechaser, Believe it or not, years ago, there was a bass pro named Ron Kilby here in Arkansas that loved to fish the Arkansas river for crappie during his downtime. This was one of his well published tricks that he used to stay with a moving school on the vast river.
My personal opinion, and please take it as such, is that this was not any more unsportsman in the old days than using underwater cameras and Side Imaging is today.

jhef
02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
ive hooked a few crappie, with a hook and a short line with a small bobber etc, sat on my pier and drank a six pack or 12 watching the cork go back and forth lol, i dont care if its unethical or illegal, the hook will work its way out, and the fish will move on...not too ethical to drop a few dollars in a naked ladies undies but ive been known to do that too. lol..when its still legal for people to fish with nets, and you can go and see people still snagging fish on certain waterways then come preach to me about fish ethics... for each his own,
and honestly mister game warden that little fish swimming over there with my bobber broke my line about 20 minutes ago, you reckon you could get my cork back for me;)

danny
02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
So much for my tip about the stick of dynamite when the bite is slow guess i will keep it to myself.It aint illegal till ya get caught.

jhef
02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
hey danny id try it if the fuses were longer lol

CrappiePappy
02-14-2009, 01:29 AM
So much for my tip about the stick of dynamite when the bite is slow guess i will keep it to myself.It aint illegal till ya get caught.

... you just ain't sorry about it, until you DO get caught :eek: :p

... cp :cool:

CrappieKillerJigs
02-14-2009, 01:42 AM
:eek: and i was going to say your best friend will be a old hand crank radio

CrappiePappy
02-14-2009, 01:49 AM
:eek: and i was going to say your best friend will be a old hand crank radio

... that would be an old hand crank TELEPHONE, but those have been illegal for many decades. :D

... cp :cool:

CrappieKillerJigs
02-14-2009, 01:52 AM
tele. that what it is...im a young buck but my dad use to tell me about netting monsters that why....

macon123
02-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Seeing a fish on the finder isn't a guarantee by any means that you will catch the fish. Live bait doesn't guarantee it either. Some use a smalll balloon to track walleye, the method unfortunately works. It just crosses a line in my mind, it's always going to be unsportsmanlike in my opinion. A lot of fishing is the gratification of figuring out a pattern, unlocking the location factor, using your own wit. It makes it more like shooting fish in a barrel, having the marker do it's thing.

I like the thrill of the hunt to be a part of the experience. I also like the quote by John Steinbeck to the effect that " If a man pits his intelligence against the wit of a fish, and the fish wins......he had it coming." I see myself in just that manner....it's good seeing the fish win from time to time......IMO...

Doc Crappie
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Are you going to be the feature spokesman on the youtube clip

wasabi
02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
What I do is stuff a bunch of frozen peas in the fish's mouth, then toss him back. The fish swims back to the school to tell all his school chums what the heck just happened. When he starts to talk the peas come out, defrost in the warm water, and float to the top. I keep a baby pig on my boat that I have trained to sniff out peas. It has to be a baby pig. The pig points in the direction of the peas. Of course this only works if you are down wind of the school. You can als soak the peas in red dye to make them easier to see. Then you don't need the pig.

Maverick
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
wasabi that is a great plan. You should write a book. LOL.

ReelfootYankee
02-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Lord,Which one's believe in heaven and which one,s believe in Hell.
I believe i will be fishing in the morning with lite wind,s 5 to 10

Specktater
02-15-2009, 06:29 PM
What I do is stuff a bunch of frozen peas in the fish's mouth, then toss him back. The fish swims back to the school to tell all his school chums what the heck just happened. When he starts to talk the peas come out, defrost in the warm water, and float to the top. I keep a baby pig on my boat that I have trained to sniff out peas. It has to be a baby pig. The pig points in the direction of the peas. Of course this only works if you are down wind of the school. You can als soak the peas in red dye to make them easier to see. Then you don't need the pig.

That reminds me of how I hunt Polar bears. I chop a hole in the ice and lay a ring of of peas all around it. When the bear comes up to take a pea, I kick him in the ice hole.

wasabi
02-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I kick him in the ice hole.

See, there you folks go again being unsportsmanlike.

Crappie Buster
02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
HAHAHA I just love this site fellas! Can't get enough of it! By the way alibi i thought it was a great post.

hnd
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
my grandfather used to do this when fishing for perch on lake huron....as long as its legal by all means....pretty sure it isn't here...

wasabi
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Another way they do this in North Carolina (a top guide showed me this trick on Kerr Lake last Fall) is to make a little vest for the crappie and put it on him. It has to be a vest, not a jacket, as the fish needs to stick his little fins out the arm holes so he can still swim. Put the vest on, tie on a tiny little helium balloon with a long biodegradable string. Then you can see the balloon floating way over the water in case the school swims far away, or you want to come back tomorrow and fish too. You make the vest using those fruit rollup things so it falls off after a few days. It's dang genious. That guide could make up one of those vests in no time.

rdant
02-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Try this. If you use a double hook rig, replace one of the hooks with a floating jig. Last fall I was catching 2 to1 on the floating jigs. Cabela's has the best price on them.

JIG Gene-e
02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Try this. If you use a double hook rig, replace one of the hooks with a floating jig. Last fall I was catching 2 to1 on the floating jigs. Cabela's has the best price on them.

That is a killer combo. I even use the berkley floating trout eggs on a small jig.

Gene

sea-sons
02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Here's the way i look at it. I've never done it. But I don't see any harm in it if it works and helps you catch more crappie. It's a whole lot easier on the poor little crappie than filleting him and puting him in hot grease. I might just try it.

gotcrappie?
02-17-2009, 11:22 PM
lol Did anyone think to just give the fish some slack and let'em swim back to the school? i never tried any of this but this way seems less harmless than forgetting to feed the dog

btw my dog isnt skinny lol

PaperLip
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
In Michigan it is legal to use game fish for bait as long as they are in season, legal size and counted in your limit. Used simular to the fish finder with the bobber. I guess if it's leagl here to fish with game fish, it would be legal to find fish. GREAT IDEA..I think I will try it..don't see where it so unsporstmanlike..I guess baiting deer is OK?

Rick

merc25
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
only been here a few weeks this is the best thread yet

Arkie John
02-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Anybody got a good fishing story already?????

aj

slabbandit
02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Catching a lot on cork and jig right now but haven't found any of any decent size yet.