PDA

View Full Version : Business owners?

Slipcork
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Who owns there own business, and what is it?

Do you ever have them "rare customers"? You know, the ones that you can't make happy.

Turtlebait
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Over time I learned how to say NO and that took care of the rare

go dart
01-26-2009, 10:54 PM
i own a home remodeling business here in kc. we specialize in kitchens/baths. by chance an upscale bath remodel we did we has a pair of klipsch speakers mounted in the ceiling. very nice

Gadget Man
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I am part owner in two businesses that rely on customer service to distinguish ourselves from the competition. We push customer service 24/7.

Marketing studies indicate a disgruntled customer will tell 8 - 10 times more people about a bad experience than a customer will repeat a pleasant experience.

There is a thread going on right now that involves an individual complaining about service from Grizzly Jig on some B n' M Poles.

At this point I have had very little experience with either of these companies.

I have been on this site for well over a year. Grizzly Jig constantly gets good reports from others using this site. The individual expressed displeasure over the product he received. I have been impressed that numerous others have jumped to the defense of Grizzly Jig and also point out that B n' M Poles indicate they are aware of the problem this person experienced and have offered to replace the affected rods.

I find it interesting that this complaint came about the time of Grizzly's Annual show.

I find it refreshing that all of the posts in response to the negative post are in defense of Grizzly Jigs and B n' M Poles. I would only hope that if someone complained about the service someone received from us that our satisfied customers that heard about it would defend us the same way.

Not really an response to your thread, but I felt it did apply...just my $.02...mg

beenfishin?
01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't own a business, I am the rare customer. Instead of "have them" you should have written "have those"! Learn english, man :)

rushcreekoutdoor
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Law Office. I'm the one expected to apply the law against the other guy and find a reason it doesn't apply to my "customer."

I often basically feel like my job is to give people bad news in such a way to make them like it.

Mother Teresa said it best (or maybe it was the Marines):

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

rco

albiechaser
01-27-2009, 03:16 AM
I own my own business, have for 25years, I was a wedding/portrait photographer for around 18 years. yup some folks are just a pain in the ***.
I go far an above for my clients, but there’s that 5% out there that you just can’t please.
lol I can pick am out pretty good now, usually charge em more and no extras.
I don’t need them or any of their friends for references

I dont have to deal with any of it now, I'm rehabing homes now an loven it.
keeps me fit and its a great feeling making something nice again after some low life distroyed it, lol

enough of this lets talk crappie

Fisherman_Wantabe
01-27-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm a 50% owner of "Alabama Automation & Service, Inc." we build costum control systems for Industrial automated material handling system. We also do detention control sytems (ex. Jails, Court Houses ect).
All our work is by contract, we are able to write the specs for each job.
So if the drawings and specs are approved (by costomer) then we have no costumers unhappy, they have read and approved the job specs before we start and know what they are getting. Makes life alittle easier, sometimes :D

Speck
01-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Electrical contractor! Not too often will I get a customer that is impossible to make happy. I will do whatever necessary and reasonable to win their business. I do offer lifetime warranty on my work but not on material since I can't quality control that. Occasionally, however, I have trouble collecting after the work is finished. Most of those are people who change or add work from the original spec. I always give them an updated estimate and don't proceed without their O.K.

There are a few that I will not do work for anymore. These folks have trouble getting anyone to come back.

jimfish
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Mech. contractor for 24 yrs. did mostly industerial work those folks are fairly easy to get along with, as long as you do good work. Every once in while you will get a smart a""" that thinks they know your job better than you do,best way to handle that is , have the ability to tell them to go to **** and then make them feel bad cause they didnt get to make the trip.

lungbuster
01-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I a real estate appraiser and own my own office. I never satisfy anyone. Everyone thinks THIER property is worth more than it realy is.:D

DRPEPPER
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I dont have to deal with any of it now, I'm rehabing homes now an loven it.
keeps me fit and its a great feeling making something nice again after some low life distroyed it, lol

enough of this lets talk crappie

Ha Ha, LOL, and all of the other chuckels. I just finished a rehab and I tell people that I clean up other peoples crap.!!
But, my full time job dictates that I try to maintain a schedule. When I get it out of whack for any reason, it lets one customer interfere with another one; like the 1/2 inch of ice on everything this morning. I can't put people on top of that stuff to work. But, somebody will be PO'd all the way into next week because their barge was delayed because of today.
DP

bttmline
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
My wife and I own an Embroidery and Screen Printing shop. I also have an asphalt dumptruck. The truck never has problems but, the embroidery is a completely different story. But in 5 years of business we have only had 1 that just couldn't be satisfied no matter what. But we have ate many grains of salt.

Yadkin Guide
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
My company is Extreme Fishing Concepts LLC (http://www.extremefishingconcepts.com). We sell all types of rod holding equipment along with cast nets, Redi-Rig Floats, trailer couplers, Add-A-Seats, and other items. We mostly deal with people who fish. How good can it get? Many people call me with a question or order and we end up talking fishing for awhile. I still have some people I cannot make happy but we really try.

Maynard Edwards

CrappieKillerJigs
01-27-2009, 12:01 PM
i know what you mean Yadkin....i own a tackle company and i go out of my way to make everyone happy but there is always that few no matter what you do you cant seem to please them...i just hate when they order somthing they want to complain about the bill after you done told them what it would be

magnum500
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Home repair is what I do. Mostly rot repair and water damage but also build decks. My father and I worked together for 25 years until his passing last September. Now I am working alone doing what I can.

As for "one of those" customers we only had one that was a problem. There was no making him happy. He just wanted something for nothing.

gone_fishing
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Been self employed for 14 years. Carpet, upholstery, and air duct cleaning our specialties along with water damage work. I have had a 4 customers that I can think of that caused me headaches. One was just because she was trying to get out of paying the bill. One we damaged draperies so we replaced the draperies, we let her pick it out. She then wanted additional money for her trip to pick out new draperies and for the stress she endured over the ordeal.
We also have a folder full of compliments on the work we did for them. Kind of outweighs the bad ones.
Our customers are great we treat their home like its our own and them like family. They do appreciate it.

Darryl Morris
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Had one client on my boat that no matter how many fish we caught (and we had a mess of fish) he wasn't going to be happy. I think he had that figured out before he got here. After I told him there was no negotiating and he persisted in doing so, I gave him the trip for free and ran his short, fat, foreign, buttocks off the dock. He now has a reputation in this area and none of the guides I know will take him in their boat.

I offer a guarantee that if we don't catch your dinner, your next trip is free. Afterall, I can't make the fish bite, but I can give them (or is it those to the wordsmiths) their money's worth. So, I have this other client whom I legitimately owe a trip. She is so disgruntled over other things personal to her, unrelated to the guide trip, and that she created herself anyway that she won't let me make good on the free trip. Guess it's no skin off my....I'd take them tomorrow if they'd go.

bobberwatcher
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Don't own a business, I am the rare customer. Instead of "have them" you should have written "have those"! Learn english, man :)

beenfishin?--

Since we seem to have resorted to personal attacks, here are a few pieces of advice for you. Avoid trying to correct someone's grammar; it seems like you need a few lessons yourself. I recommend starting with run-on sentences. Before making fun of and correcting others, please learn the proper way to "quote statements." You might also want learn the rules of capitalization in the English language while you're at it.

Feel free to tear apart my post, too. Since I've never claimed to be an expert, I am always open for improvement.

Cane Pole
01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I was in an X rated business in Orlando Fl. Girls kept throwing the alum out the back. It sucked the Atlantic beach up to the back door. I then got in the beach condo business.

Darrell Baker
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I think that I have a great job...I get to fish for a living! Most of the time when you are dealing with fishermen it is pretty easy. But just about every year I will run across at least one guy or group that no matter what happens you just cant please them. When I run into these I just try to make it through the day and give them a great day on the water. But, I always remember them and I will never book them on another trip. I actually had one guy call me this year inquiring about a trip and he said he had been here and fished with another guide last year. I asked him if he had a bad trip and he said "Well No...we caught a limit of nice keepers everyday I just thought I would try to find another guide to put us on bigger fish." I did not book this guy because I could tell over the telephone he was ONE OF THOSE GUYS! Some people just want to be miserable and will not be pleased no matter how they do. I have had guys that were tickled with a 20-30 fish catch and then I've seen guys that had a limit still act like they were p****d at the world. Some people will never be pleased! I just hope that whatever they do for a living they have to put up with a few people just like themselves.

Darrell Baker
Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
PO Box 778
Centre, Alabama 35960
Tele/ 256-927-2232
Cell/ 256-557-0129
weiss lake crappie guides (http://www.weisslakecrappieguides.com)

JIG Gene-e
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
The customer is always right, Isn't that what we were always taught? Yes. And when they aren't, always be kind yet firm! If not, some of them will eat your lunch!!
Be honest and fair with your customers and yourself.
I been in the general contracting biz for 35 yrs and it has always worked for me.

Gene

beenfishin?
01-28-2009, 12:33 AM
beenfishin?--

Since we seem to have resorted to personal attacks, here are a few pieces of advice for you. Avoid trying to correct someone's grammar; it seems like you need a few lessons yourself. I recommend starting with run-on sentences. Before making fun of and correcting others, please learn the proper way to "quote statements." You might also want learn the rules of capitalization in the English language while you're at it.

Feel free to tear apart my post, too. Since I've never claimed to be an expert, I am always open for improvement.

First off, it was not an attack, it was a just a freekin joke. Lightin up. Secondly, the grammer in my response was intended to be improper as part of the joke. You might want to look at the :) at the end of my statement. That means it is intended for humor. Since you don't seem to understand, let me explain.... The first part is in answer to your question.

Don't own a business, I am the rare customer.

The purpose of the remainder is to make fun of "the rare customer" with a smart attitude.

Instead of "have them" you should have written "have those"! Learn english, man
See?

gone_fishing
01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
I think that I have a great job...I get to fish for a living! Most of the time when you are dealing with fishermen it is pretty easy. But just about every year I will run across at least one guy or group that no matter what happens you just cant please them. When I run into these I just try to make it through the day and give them a great day on the water. But, I always remember them and I will never book them on another trip. I actually had one guy call me this year inquiring about a trip and he said he had been here and fished with another guide last year. I asked him if he had a bad trip and he said "Well No...we caught a limit of nice keepers everyday I just thought I would try to find another guide to put us on bigger fish." I did not book this guy because I could tell over the telephone he was ONE OF THOSE GUYS! Some people just want to be miserable and will not be pleased no matter how they do. I have had guys that were tickled with a 20-30 fish catch and then I've seen guys that had a limit still act like they were p****d at the world. Some people will never be pleased! I just hope that whatever they do for a living they have to put up with a few people just like themselves.

Darrell Baker
Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
PO Box 778
Centre, Alabama 35960
Tele/ 256-927-2232
Cell/ 256-557-0129
weiss lake crappie guides (http://www.weisslakecrappieguides.com)

I think you were wise. Sounded like he was setting you up. No matter what you catch or do it won't be as good as the last guy. He probably wore the welcome out with the last guide so now will try you.

In our business we always try to undersell and overachieve. I would rather lose a potential customer than have one that I can't satisfy because expectations were too high.

Our best customers are those that are shocked at the outcome. Those where we far exceeded expectations.

rockmike
01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
We're in the construction, and construction products business, and we deal with everyone from do-it-yourselfer's, to contractors, to DOT's, and over the years I've learned to be honest with my customers, hustle service, and always value my customers. We try to deliver a quality product on time. We can't always deliver when a customer wants something, but we really work to deliver when we promise.

bobberwatcher
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
First off, it was not an attack, it was a just a freekin joke. Lightin up. Secondly, the grammer in my response was intended to be improper as part of the joke. You might want to look at the :) at the end of my statement. That means it is intended for humor. Since you don't seem to understand, let me explain.... The first part is in answer to your question.

Don't own a business, I am the rare customer.

The purpose of the remainder is to make fun of "the rare customer" with a smart attitude.

Instead of "have them" you should have written "have those"! Learn english, man
See?

I'm sorry. I was just joking as well. Here is a late :)

Cane Pole
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Mine is by far the best..........:p

imajigger2
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
;) I work in the Corrections Business. At the end of the day, I usually have several hundred "CLIENTS" whose emotions run from, i'd really like to kill you, I really hate you, and I'm glad you're leaving for the day. It's a tough gig but I generally smile at the end of the day as I leave with my freedom!!:D:D

DRPEPPER
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Mine is by far the best..........:p

I didn't know we could talk about what we used to do. I used to be an exotic dancer too. But, when my belly got too big to be bending over to pick up them dollar bills, my back went out too. It also got difficult for the ladies to put them in my thong. So, I had to get a real job.
DP

bobberwatcher
01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't know we could talk about what we used to do. I used to be an exotic dancer too. But, when my belly got too big to be bending over to pick up them dollar bills, my back went out too. It also got difficult for the ladies to put them in my thong. So, I had to get a real job.
DP

Now you REALLY didn't need to go there!! (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.)

The Lip RIPPERS
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I started building rods in 82, then a few for friends, then fulltime in 96. The only customer I could not please came into my shop drunk & threatened me physically. Later I learned from another builder [friend] he came into his shop complaining about his product. Aside from this incident I've managed to please everyone. The real reward is seeing their eye's when hey hold a fine rod in hand, then her all the fish tales later.

8fishermen
01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I own a commercial painting business and most of our clients now are the ones we hand picked. Wasn't always like that. Have had a few that just weren't happy. A lot of that was our fault for not communicating well and understanding their expectations up front. I believe most of our "bad clients" experiences could have been avoided if we would have spent more time up front with them and understood their needs better. Sometimes it is not the product they need, sometimes they just need to feel loved on. "a gentle answer turns away wrath". "as much as it depends upon you, you be at peace".

I usually try these methods first. If all else fails... I have a friend who owns a large retail business and he is fond of saying "sometimes, you just have to fire a customer.":confused::mad::eek::o:(:):D:D

GRIZZ
01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I have been self employed in a variety of businesses since college in 86. I enjoy variety so I have usually had 2-3 going all at once since then. I started with asphalt driveways, sold cars, sold home water purification and softeners, unclaimed fund recovery(that was interesting), Pro window cleaning, both commercial and residential, but specialized in high end residential homes, typically 250k to multimillion dollar homes that cost $400 - 2k+ to clean, and a few others. I have also have an in-home computer teaching and tech service for about 10 years. All during those years I have been in a variety of network marketing business.

During the years I have also taught others the businesses that I have succeeded at and I have a few friends in NY, OH, and TN who have successful businesses that I have introduced them to and given them a helping push into self employment. I don't take too much credit because mainly these folks saw what I was doing when they were miserable at bad jobs and asked for a little help. They were all self motivated people and mainly I just gave them the ideas and pushed them down the road a little. Its satisfying to know though that these people are happily making livings that I had a part in.

As far as the "special" customers are concerned, I have come to the conclusion that 1-2% of all customers are "special". "Special" means they are self absorbed, greedy, arrogant, dishonest, jackasses that have never been happy and never will and will do whatever they can to aggravate you while you work and then rip you off afterward. When I run into one of these wonderful people and don't realize they are "special" before I take a job, I do the best I can and let it go. Life is too short to tolerate these types of people. I generally explain to them why I will never work for them again which pretty much guarantees that I will never see them again - thankfully.

Currently, I am putting the wraps on my windows cleaning and computer businesses and am concentrating on a business I have been in for about 12 years called EcoQuest Intl. They have started a new division that really has all my antennas twitching. Over the years I have learned to recognize a window of opportunity and this new division is going to be one of them over the next few years.

duc hntr
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Residential contractor, everything from small bathroom remodels to new construction, been in business going on 15 years, have more problems with employees than clients.

Canepole, is that a true lie???

shipahoy41
01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/JPEGBanner.jpg

Many individuals develop their love of fishing as a youth. In our CD you will learn some basic tips and techniques to help you catch Panfish, especially the crappie. We use
illustrations and words to make it meaningful and understandable. We hope our efforts in
collecting and compiling this information will help you to be successful when you go fishing.

I also handcraft Crappie and Bluegill jigs.

Cane Pole
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Residential contractor, everything from small bathroom remodels to new construction, been in business going on 15 years, have more problems with employees than clients.

Canepole, is that a true lie???

It's the lying truth. Sucked that beach all the way from Titusville to the South Main in Orlando. That where I "hung" out.......:)

ShilohRed
01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
It's the lying truth. Sucked that beach all the way from Titusville to the South Main in Orlando. That where I "hung" out.......:)

Man your good.. LOL

We own a little company making nothing, Also so far not selling much. But its ours. so I keep on. Had a guy Dec 30th. He did not receive his package. Now I know it was delivered. As tracking showed it was delivered, so to keep the peace. I shipping the order out again, did I have to? No I could have told him tough crappie. But I figured cover it again and eat the $37.99 and hope this would make him happy. Figured if I did not he would tell others how bad my service was.
Will not sell him anything again. Or If I do he is paying extra for insurance. LOL The sickle hooks he had ordered was the only thing that cost me a lot. so it was a good move
Pete

wannabe fisherman
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I guess what I do could be considered a small business. I hire out to assemble small items for mechanically challenged people. Things like that piece of furniture you got at Wal-Mart,or maybe a weight bench. Only things that can be assembled by one person as I work alone.
So far I have no unhappy customers and several have called me back for other things.