Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driftmaster/Rod Tip Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster/Rod Tip Questions

Okay, I need to get some driftmaster rod holders and not sure what is the best setup for my boat. I have a Grumman, which has very narrow rails(about 2 1/4" wide). I am looking for a low profile base and a setup that will allow quick removal of the holders from the bases. I want to place single units in different spots of the boat and I am not looking for the multiple rod holders at this time.
    Also what is the best paint to use on rod tips for detecting bites at night? Is the florescant jig paint more visible than just white paint? What about using reflective tape?

Post Thanks / Like

driftmaster has several different style of bases for different configurations on boat rails so without knowing what the rail on your boat looks like exactly id say look up driftmaster dealers and see what they have to offer. they have flat ones, star shaped ones, rectangular ones etc. im also thinking they have clamp on mounts. what ever ones you use, if you can id use a bolt with a nut instead of a metal screw for fasteners. some how or somewhere a rod holder will probably come in contact with something that could yank the screws loose and leave a ugly hole, especially when mounted on the rails. ive got several ugly holes on my boat rail from such occurences. use stainless steel fasteners. we use flat white spray paint on our rod tips. you dont need all that glow in the dark stuff unless you plan on fishing in total darkness. Ive found nothing thats as good as flat white paint.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Driftmaster on this board he is with driftmaster and I'm sure he'd help you out.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I use reflector tape on the end of my poles. In just a very little light, the tape glows very brightly. I sometimes put a little reflector tape on bobbers if I am using bobbers. Some of my catfish buddies use line that glows under a blacklight. It makes the line look like a rope going into the water. Blacklites for boats can be bought fairly cheap at www.catfishconnection.com
    I have mounted Lil Pro rod holders on my boat. They are very similar to Driftmaster. I can't remember if I bought them at BassPro or Cabelas. BassPro I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few quick pics of the rails. Might have to use a combination of bolts and screws?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you will need to go with a star base Star Base Pro 200-B, Li'l Pro 210-B, that will mount to your rails. I currently use this style of base and the only problem is be sure to not cross thread, however if you do the bases are easy to tap new threads into.

Post Thanks / Like

Default from the looks...

Quote Originally Posted by WoodGuy
    Here are a few quick pics of the rails. Might have to use a combination of bolts and screws?
    from the looks of your rails, it looks like you could use the clamp type bases. they should slide right under the rails and the plus would be that they could be moved around into whatever configuration you would need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodGuy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Better use bolts. Your moving to NC and plan on fishing some of the SC lakes. Rod holders had better be fastened tight or some striper or hybrid gonna take um. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

lil pro is the 3/8 in driftmaster. the pro models are 1/2 in. you should be able to find what you want at the following link:

http://www.driftmaster.com/Bases.html
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the lil pro driftmasters w/ clamp on bases easy on easy off. on my tracker good luck

BIG LEO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast