Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 9.8 merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9.8 merc

my dad bought it new back in 72. it was used steady up till about 16 years ago and has been sitting in a shed since.

what steps should be taken to get it back up and running?

don't need the motor myself but would like to get it running and sell it, if it's worth it.

thanks
    Me, I always tell the truth, even when I'm lying.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a thread from iboats that covers that. Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread IBNFSHN is talking about. Do what it says...covers all the bases.

Main thing I would say is TAKE YOUR TIME...don't get excited and miss something. Thats something I've done....and regreted. Make sure everything is lubed and loose. Make sure you put plenty of TC-W3 oil in the cylinders and turn the motor slowly by hand with the plugs out. Do this for a few days to let the rings loosen up really well. Other than that just do what that link says.

Let us know how it goes! Nothing like cranking on old motor for the first time in years...when she finally hits...there's nothing like it!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great link, but I need to add something to it

I just went through this and ran into difficulty with mud wasp nest. They had all the external ports clogged up with mud. (they were living in the motor) The motor also had what looked like a million lady bug carcasses around the motor and carb cleaner seemed to just melt them into a huge gunky mess. If I had to do it again I would use air to blow them out.

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't had a chance to start on this yet but now i know what direction to go in. thanks for your help. fhf

Post Thanks / Like

I'll offer $200 as is if you don't want to mess with it. I could use it for trolling. If you go through it to prepare for sale, being a '72 model, am guessing you might get 3-450 for it possibly.
    By the way, where are you located?
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 02-09-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

CR-Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to keep it. I'm in north carolina.