Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Sealing Fish Fillets To Freeze

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Vacuum Sealing Fish Fillets To Freeze

Talked with one friend about using a vacuum sealer for freezing fish fillets and am now interested in buying one. I'm not looking for the really expensive comercial grade of sealers but just one to use for freezing meats at home. What I would like to know is the brands and models you guys and gals have and use, along with the pros and cons of your vacuum sealers. Thx.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one made by Rival and it works just as good as my dads food saver.You just need to get the fillets as dry as you can and then put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a few minutes so they are froze a little thgen put them in the bag and seal them.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a Food Saver brand... I use mine to put up everything..The only thing you need to do is pat your fillets dry before you put them in the bag. If it pulls moisture through you will not get a good seal. The only thing I have had trouble sealing was fish that you just scrape and remove the head. The fins will poke holes in the bags. Your fillets will keep for 2 years easy...

Post Thanks / Like

Had a Food Saver brand worked great for two years then pump pooped out, prices had gone up quite a bit & found the Rival Seal a meal on sale at chain store for 35% off got it so far so good. What you may want to try is several friends bought at large food store, a kit of plastic bags ea. with valve & a small hand pump to suck vacuum out of bag, they say it works great. They clean fish at dock cleaning station & seal then right in these bags no electric needed. Should be in your large food chain store in with the ziploc bags etc. I believe cost of kit 15.00 to $20.00
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have used one for years (Food Saver) and would not trade it for anything. Got mine at a garage sale for 20 bucks. The shock came when I bought new bag rolls for it, but, given the money you save, it is worth it. Since they all work about the same, I would price the bags/rolls for the best deal, then check out Ebay, Craigslist and local garage sales.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

foodsaver brand seems to be the best. i would go with a med to high grade unit if I did it over again. Got the lower grade unit for christmas a couple of years ago and really have enjoyed it though. Still working great to this day.

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Black & Decker model. Works well unless there is any moisture. Won't seal if it's pulling moisture out. I may try the "pre-freeze" method.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has a Food Saver but I have never used it on fillets. Questions: After you pat the fillets dry and freeze them a little, is it okay to stack them two or three high in the bag before sealing or do they need to stay single layered in the bag?
    TeamCSJE

Post Thanks / Like

If I stack them more than 2 high it will leave air pockets which will freeze dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Default vacume sealers

My dad has one and as far as im concerned they are just like any other infomercial scam item, not up to all the claims. Probably more than half the time the bags are not completely sealed and when you go to thaw them you find that the vacume is lost espically if the bag is really full. Many of the machines break around the latch area. I saw a show on pbs espically on why fish is quick frozen to not damage all the cells. Id look into that long before i ever get a sealer and expect to save money by using it.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast