Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting rod tips. What paint?

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Painting rod tips. What paint?

Wanna color some rod tips with a bright yellow. Don't know what paint to use. Thinking it will pop off with the rod flex. Need to know what paint to use and finding it.

Thanks all.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

I use glow in the dark paint , so I can see it when the light conditions are low. I got mine at a hobby store.
    The fish were bitting yesterday, The fish will bite tomorrow,,, today I must buy my fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default painting rod

I painted a few rods and items about 2 years ago. I just used spray can flour orange. I degreased the rod, painted with white paint first and then after semi dry with the flour orange. If the rod flexes at all, even a tad when wet it will wrinkle/crack the paint. Once dry i had no problems. In fact i was looking the rod a few day ago thinking about a touchup of orange. Id have to check my paint can for exact paint type. When i fish floats with yellow they dissapear quickly with glare and other lighting conditions. I prefer orange.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Just paint them white and you will be happy with them.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I used the small cans of hobby spray paint made by rustoleum, purchased at Home Depot. White first, then orange. Before painting I lightly sanded the tip, then wiped down with alcohol. They look great and don't crack when flexed.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Most use acrylic up here or use reflective emergency tape, this is on sturgeon and salmon poles though so it might be too much for lightweight rod. I think if I was to do it I would find a highly reflective white or orange vinyl paint and if possible, glow in the dark.

I actually use a little glow stick on my rods when not using a float at night. Can't miss a hit because it leaves tracers on the slightest movement. It clips on the top of the rod opposite the line and last a good 6-8 hours if it is a good one. Get a quality one though if you try it or you will see glow sticks flying farther than your bait does.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

i use flat white availabe at the chineese outlet store for a buck a can.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I use a flourescent paint, pink, green, orange, whatever. I also use a black light at night and flourescent line. You can see the bite better at night, than closely watching your rods in broad daylight. I also choose to not use any submerged lights at all, as well as no light inside the boat. Black light only is the way to go for me. Stealth is key, especially when working shallow creeks and banks during the spawn. I keep an LED flashlight on the bill of my cap for seeing purposes.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

If paintings not the ticket, try Witchcraft lure tape, available at most BPS's the Chartruese works great for night/lowlight conditions....cut to the length you want apply to rod tip, then put a strip of clear scotch tape over the seam, works on any size rod.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Emergeny tape that is used on road crew and fire fighter jackets is super reflective too.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast