Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: flush outboard with trash can or hose attachment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default flush outboard with trash can or hose attachment?

I'm gonna crank up my 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke this week as a pre season check. Could I run my motor in a 55 gallon trash can Pops keeps in the shop filled with water or would it be best if I use a motor flusher? Only concern is if the flusher falls off durin operation.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why not. I use the bottom half of a 55 gal can blocked up to the right heigth to test my 9.9. I just leave a hose runnning to keep the water level up.

Post Thanks / Like

Only use the flusher to run at idle. Also if you want to test to see if your water pump is functioning correctly you need to run it in the barrel as the flusher will force water through the pump and mask that it is not working correctly. So if you have a barrel that is what is best to use. IMO

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default Like Landscaper says...

Quote Originally Posted by Landscaper62 View Post
    I don't see why not. I use the bottom half of a 55 gal can blocked up to the right heigth to test my 9.9. I just leave a hose runnning to keep the water level up.
    I been doin' my 7.5 that way for years. No probs.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 2, you are better off using a barrel. I use a large trash can for all size engines. I run small 20hp - 225hp.
    Shawn Hines
    Now stationed in...
    Middle East

Post Thanks / Like

Definately a barrel.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

For flushing I would use the muffs...just my opinon...you have a constant flow of clean water going through it. It shouldn't fall off...and I would not leave it outside running unattended anyways.

NEVER rev an outboard without any load...meaning in the water or with a test pro. Ecspecially two strokes...the can run away if you are not careful.

Checking water pump...yes...in barrel...it needs to pull and not get pushed as was said earlier. If in doubt CHANGE the pump..its the one most important piece of an outboard engine.

You can also put some antifreeze in the barrel with clean water in the winter if you know its going to be really cold....this will stay in the places that would normally have staright water in them and not freeze...just food4thot.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15