PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Grizzly Jig

Daniel
01-23-2009, 11:38 PM
would not recommend Grizzly Jig, to anyone.
I purchased one of there 3 pole deals (B & M Bucks Jigpoles)
along with some other stuff.
I specifically asked if they would check each rod for defects before shipping, The lady said they would.
When the Rods arrived one of them was missing the ceramic insert from
the guide and it wasn't in the plastic bag, So in all fairness I gave them the
benefit of the doubt anyway and sent it back for a replacement, Again I asked them to look the tip over for defects before they sent it, they said they would.
Well, the replacement tip arrived and had a large dried lacquer drip on the first guide. I called and informed one of the owners of the company that I was not pleased with the tip or the service. He offered a refund but only for the 3 rods (since it was a package deal) and said he would not pay to send out another tip.
Since nobody sold these rods locally I told him I would take my dremal and remove the (Drip). Below you can see a photo of the tip now and one that has a "red" colored area to give you an idea of what the drip looked like.
Ironically this same rod snapped in half while I was lifting a small clob of moss out of the water. I want people to know that I do not want a refund for this rod or a replacement for this tip, I would rather take it with me while I am fishing to show other fisherman.
I have been told that most of these rods that brake, snap, whatever you want to call it are caused by owner neglect, Now surely this must be the case, I mean there is no way the quality craftsmen in China that make these rods would ever send out a defective rod,:rolleyes: or that it could be damaged under the Quality controlled shipping environment they are in while in transit!:rolleyes: Really do you think the two jig poles that the two little brats at Walmart used for play swords before someone found there parents couldn't have a small nick that would cause it to snap!:rolleyes:

Photo 1

http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/44545/2983420820058739910S600x600Q85.jpg

Photo 2

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/44525/2519366900058739910S600x600Q85.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrappieKillerJigs
01-24-2009, 12:03 AM
i had a bnm jig pole snap right in the middle of the top piece and i got to looking at it and seen there was a bad spot in the rod and by the time you ship it to them to get it fixed you can buy a new one...never did buy a new BnM and prob. wont ever buy another one...i like my ozark and todd huckabee xlite to much to buy another junk rod from bnm

CrappiePappy
01-24-2009, 12:07 AM
I thought these problems had already been addressed, by Jack Wells/BnM, per your previous post:

I'm sorry to hear about the ceramic eye situation.
It is not my intent nor my desire to air any dirty laundry here on the board, but I certainly believe in honesty and I feel the need to explain the situation.
Long story short, our glue supplier (without our knowledge) tweaked the formula for the glue being used to hold the guides in. As a result, the adhesiveness was affected. We caught the problem quickly; but with the volume of rods we sell, sometimes quickly is just not quick enough. Since that time, we have inspected thousands of rods. We feel we have resolved the problem internally. Now it's time to resolve the problem externally with our customers.
Please email (jack@bnmpoles.com) the part number for the rod, and we'll replace the section. That goes for anyone here on the board, and is not limited to Daniel and Waterboy.
We work hard and and aspire to be perfect, but perfection is an ever-moving target. But taking care of our customers will always be priority #1, and that is well within our control. Take advantage of it!
Good Fishing!
Jack Wells
B'n'M Pole Co.

And, by the way ... just FYI ... the links, to the pictures you posted, aren't working. ;)

... cp :cool:

crappieranger
01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your rods and your bad experience with the folks at Grizzly Jig. That's not the kind of experience anyone wants.

But I have to tell you that, over the years, I have purchased several items from Grizzly Jig including rods, rod holders, seats, double seat platforms, fishing tackle, and other items. Everything I have purchased has been just fine. More importantly, my experience with all the people at Grizzly Jig has been quite different than yours. The folks there have always gone out of their way to be helpful, and I have been quite happy with both the products and the service I have received. Sorry about your bad experience, but Louie and Wade Mansfield and the others at Grizzly Jig IMHO are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet and really work at providing quality service to crappie-fishermen.

Based on my experience, I would recommend them highly.

CR

Daniel
01-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I thought these problems had already been addressed, by Jack Wells/BnM, per your previous post:

And, by the way ... just FYI ... the links, to the pictures you posted, aren't working. ;)

CP Thanks for lmk about the photos' I believe they can be viewed now.

This post is directed at Grizzly Jig, The sarcasm about the poles braking
could be applied to any pole made in china.

Daniel

Daniel
01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your rods and your bad experience with the folks at Grizzly Jig. That's not the kind of experience anyone wants.

But I have to tell you that, over the years, I have purchased several items from Grizzly Jig including rods, rod holders, seats, double seat platforms, fishing tackle, and other items. Everything I have purchased has been just fine. More importantly, my experience with all the people at Grizzly Jig has been quite different than yours. The folks there have always gone out of their way to be helpful, and I have been quite happy with both the products and the service I have received. Sorry about your bad experience, but Louie and Wade Mansfield and the others at Grizzly Jig IMHO are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet and really work at providing quality service to crappie-fishermen.

Based on my experience, I would recommend them highly.

CR

CrappieRanger,

What you have said is exactly the kind of info. I had on Grizzly Jig,
and that was why I dealt with them. Why the transaction played out like it
did.. I haven't a clue! But it is what it is:mad:

CrappiePappy
01-24-2009, 02:35 AM
This post is directed at Grizzly Jig, The sarcasm about the poles braking
could be applied to any pole made in china.
Daniel

But, Grizzly Jigs doesn't make the rods ... they sell them for BnM. BnM has already admitted their quality control problem, and proposed a very generous fix. It would appear that Grizzly Jigs had some of those rods in stock, and you received some. Maybe you didn't go high enough on the totem pole, to air your grievance over the rod ?

I've seen some high end brand rods, that also had the extra large glue bulge on the tip eye. Never gave it a seconds thought, much less considered filing it down. And don't think for a moment that those rods, American or Chinese mfg'd, that are in the tackle stores OR Wally World, aren't mishandled by adults AND children ... and the damages may go unnoticed, until the end user puts some strain on them.
I have many rods, made in China, not all of which are BnM brands ... and they ride in the back of a pickup, to/from the lakes I fish, and are subjected to bone jarring rides in my fishing partners Tracker ... strapped down on the front deck, and vibrating/bouncing against the alum sides of his boat (when running choppy water). And I set the hook with speed and power, and lift land alot of the fish I catch .... no broken rods, so far. And, NO ... I'm not "that lucky" :p (to have received/purchased "perfect" rods).

Daniel
01-24-2009, 03:28 AM
But, Grizzly Jigs doesn't make the rods ... they sell them for BnM. BnM has already admitted their quality control problem, and proposed a very generous fix. It would appear that Grizzly Jigs had some of those rods in stock, and you received some. Maybe you didn't go high enough on the totem pole, to air your grievance over the rod ?

I've seen some high end brand rods, that also had the extra large glue bulge on the tip eye. Never gave it a seconds thought, much less considered filing it down. And don't think for a moment that those rods, American or Chinese mfg'd, that are in the tackle stores OR Wally World, aren't mishandled by adults AND children ... and the damages may go unnoticed, until the end user puts some strain on them.
I have many rods, made in China, not all of which are BnM brands ... and they ride in the back of a pickup, to/from the lakes I fish, and are subjected to bone jarring rides in my fishing partners Tracker ... strapped down on the front deck, and vibrating/bouncing against the alum sides of his boat (when running choppy water). And I set the hook with speed and power, and lift land alot of the fish I catch .... no broken rods, so far. And, NO ... I'm not "that lucky" :p (to have received/purchased "perfect" rods).

CP

Maybe I am still not making myself clear.:)
Mr. Wells addressed the problem with the inferior glue used to hold
the ceramic in the guides and offered to replace any rods or sections
that had issues. I applaud him for this. As for the two rods I have that had this problem. One had the first guide replaced and is fine. As for the second one I figured I would go ahead and glue the ceramic back in the guide.

Now as for the rod tip in the photo, My issue is with the dried Lacquer drop, This was very visible, to the degree that it could interfere with your line while you are so carefully letting a little line out while lowering and twitching your jig.

Although this is a B&M rod, Mr. Wells did not sale it to me!
Grizzly Jig did! Even after I specifically asked that they make sure that the replacement for the first defective tip I returned to them did not have any defects. This is the replacement tip I received. I would not have sent this tip to a customer and I don't believe you would have either. Piece:D

Daniel

WestTennCrappie
01-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Wow.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where the people you do business with never make an honest mistake and businesses have 100% customer satisfaction rate. No matter how hard one strives to be the best and take care of its cutomers achieving that goal is not possible. One thing I can say for sure is that you will not find another company big or small that strives to exceed its customers expectations more than Grizzly Jig Co. in Caruthersville MO. Not only are these folks professionals when it comes to crappie fishing and doing business, but they are absolute best people whether you meet them at thier store, on the street, or in the boat at the lake. Grizzly Jig is not a large operation but family and friend oriented place where nothing means more to them than thier customer base and thier community. They are a solid force in the community in that little town where they help the economy and benefit both the consumer and other area businesses having get togethers just like they are having right now. They are also a solid force in the community of crappie fishing. All three of those men are some of the best crappie fishermen you will find. When you walk into Grizzly jig your greeted with a smile every time. They are happy to help you, show you around, reccomend products, or just talk fishing. There is never any pressure to buy anything. There is no sales pitch on the latest thing going to try and get you to buy a bunch of crap you dont need. There is only honesty and intregety in every thing they do. They fish one of the best crappie lakes in the country. And you can go in there and ask any question at any time and they will help you any way they can. They will tell you when, where, and how to catch fish. They will show you the lures and tackle that they use, and not just try to push off something on you that they have overstocked just so they can help their bottom line. You simply just cannot find another place that goes to the lengths these folks will to help you get better and to have the right equipment. Thats the bottom line. I know for a fact thats how they do business and thats how they have always done business. I spend alot of money each and every year over there. And I can go months without going in there and I can guarantee I wll be greeted the same way every time. When i walk in the store and begin to browse around, Lance will walk up to me, shake my hand, and the first thing he asks is "How are you doing?" Not "what can i sell you?" I can walk in there and talk with those guys for an hour or two and never buy anything and they will still thank me for stopping by. Nevermind the fact that I was asking questions of them about prducts or fishing tips or whatever. They will still thank me for coming by even though I bought nothing, didn't spend a dime, and i got more out of it than anyone. They still thank ME. I am sorry you had a bad experience with Grizzly Jig and B&M. I stand behind both. Especailly Grizzly Jig.

A post like this says alot about ones character. One product malfunction and one human error leads to a slandering of one of the most honest and hardworking companies on the planet. I dont know you personally but I cant tell alot by reading your post. I have met hard a***s that are nearly impossible to please. I work for myself and people like that are everywhere. Thats the type of person that keeps a great company like Grizzly Jig from having the imposssible 100% customer satisfaction mark. But that doesnt stop them from trying to reach that goal. I hope you are not that person. Impossible to please. And I hope that next time you will get all the facts together and not judge such great people on one experience. It sounds to me like they tried to do the right thing and acted in good faith by replacing the first rod tip. Then they stepped up and offered a full refund when you were unahppy still. I would ask what more you wanted but I guess the obvious is that you wanted them to maybe better inspect the tips. Everyone makes an honest mistake every now and again. I hope that your jumping to conclusions about Grizzly Jig was just one of those on your part. An honest mistake. I hope you forgive me as well. I just had to jump in here knowing Grizzly Jig like I do. I assumed by making the post in the first place that you were looking for some honest input and not just trying to bash a respected organization, that would be me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Daniel
01-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Wow.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where the people you do business with never make an honest mistake and businesses have 100% customer satisfaction rate. No matter how hard one strives to be the best and take care of its cutomers achieving that goal is not possible. One thing I can say for sure is that you will not find another company big or small that strives to exceed its customers expectations more than Grizzly Jig Co. in Caruthersville MO. Not only are these folks professionals when it comes to crappie fishing and doing business, but they are absolute best people whether you meet them at thier store, on the street, or in the boat at the lake. Grizzly Jig is not a large operation but family and friend oriented place where nothing means more to them than thier customer base and thier community. They are a solid force in the community in that little town where they help the economy and benefit both the consumer and other area businesses having get togethers just like they are having right now. They are also a solid force in the community of crappie fishing. All three of those men are some of the best crappie fishermen you will find. When you walk into Grizzly jig your greeted with a smile every time. They are happy to help you, show you around, reccomend products, or just talk fishing. There is never any pressure to buy anything. There is no sales pitch on the latest thing going to try and get you to buy a bunch of crap you dont need. There is only honesty and intregety in every thing they do. They fish one of the best crappie lakes in the country. And you can go in there and ask any question at any time and they will help you any way they can. They will tell you when, where, and how to catch fish. They will show you the lures and tackle that they use, and not just try to push off something on you that they have overstocked just so they can help their bottom line. You simply just cannot find another place that goes to the lengths these folks will to help you get better and to have the right equipment. Thats the bottom line. I know for a fact thats how they do business and thats how they have always done business. I spend alot of money each and every year over there. And I can go months without going in there and I can guarantee I wll be greeted the same way every time. When i walk in the store and begin to browse around, Lance will walk up to me, shake my hand, and the first thing he asks is "How are you doing?" Not "what can i sell you?" I can walk in there and talk with those guys for an hour or two and never buy anything and they will still thank me for stopping by. Nevermind the fact that I was asking questions of them about prducts or fishing tips or whatever. They will still thank me for coming by even though I bought nothing, didn't spend a dime, and i got more out of it than anyone. They still thank ME. I am sorry you had a bad experience with Grizzly Jig and B&M. I stand behind both. Especailly Grizzly Jig.

A post like this says alot about ones character. One product malfunction and one human error leads to a slandering of one of the most honest and hardworking companies on the planet. I dont know you personally but I cant tell alot by reading your post. I have met hard asses that are nearly impossible to please. I work for myself and people like that are everywhere. Thats the type of person that keeps a great company like Grizzly Jig from having the imposssible 100% customer satisfaction mark. But that doesnt stop them from trying to reach that goal. I hope you are not that person. Impossible to please. And I hope that next time you will get all the facts together and not judge such great people on one experience. It sounds to me like they tried to do the right thing and acted in good faith by replacing the first rod tip. Then they stepped up and offered a full refund when you were unahppy still. I would ask what more you wanted but I guess the obvious is that you wanted them to maybe better inspect the tips. Everyone makes an honest mistake every now and again. I hope that your jumping to conclusions about Grizzly Jig was just one of those on your part. An honest mistake. I hope you forgive me as well. I just had to jump in here knowing Grizzly Jig like I do. I assumed by making the post in the first place that you were looking for some honest input and not just trying to bash a respected organization, that would be me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

WTC,

I did not jump to any conclusions
I brought my business to Grizzly Jig based on the good reputation they had!
When I placed my original order I SPECIFICALLY asked the lady if they would INSPECT the rods I was paying over a hundred dollars for for any DEFECTS!
Now when the rods arrived, One was missing a ceramic insert from the guide. At this time I did what most customers would do, I called them and POLITELY explained the situation realizing that this could have happened without any fault on there behalf (NO HARM NO FOUL) In our phone conversation they apologized and agreed to send me a replacement tip, AGAIN, I asked that they look the tip over to make sure there were no DEFECTS! I was told they would.
Would you not agree that this replacement tip was visibly defective?
Would you have sent this tip to me after you said you would make sure the replacement tip had NO DEFECTS?
AS for the refund, I did not want a refund, ALL I wanted were the 3 NON
DEFECTIVE jig poles I purchased!
Don't try and put a guilt trip on me, The staff at Grizzly Jig might be great folks as you say, But it doesn't justify the way they handled my transaction with them!

gone_fishing
01-24-2009, 05:27 AM
WTC,

I did not jump to any conclusions
I brought my business to Grizzly Jig based on the good reputation they had!
When I placed my original order I SPECIFICALLY asked the lady if they would INSPECT the rods I was paying over a hundred dollars for for any DEFECTS!
Now when the rods arrived, One was missing a ceramic insert from the guide. At this time I did what most customers would do, I called them and POLITELY explained the situation realizing that this could have happened without any fault on there behalf (NO HARM NO FOUL) In our phone conversation they apologized and agreed to send me a replacement tip, AGAIN, I asked that they look the tip over to make sure there were no DEFECTS! I was told they would.
Would you not agree that this replacement tip was visibly defective?
Would you have sent this tip to me after you said you would make sure the replacement tip had NO DEFECTS?
AS for the refund, I did not want a refund, ALL I wanted were the 3 NON
DEFECTIVE jig poles I purchased!
Don't try and put a guilt trip on me, The staff at Grizzly Jig might be great folks as you say, But it doesn't justify the way they handled my transaction with them!

I agree with WestTenneseeCrappie. I also own a business. I know from experience there is no way you are going to keep everyone you do buisiness with happy no matter what you do. You said yourself Grizzly offered to make it right with you. B&M made a generous offer to settle your problem. And yet your bring this all up again. You said yourself you don't want a replacement you would rather bash the seller and the maker of the rod.

Its time to move on.

laserdoc
01-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Thats why I buy my rods from /www.proanglertackle.com/. I had one break in half on me after about 6 months and Ed just sent me a brand new one!!!. He was just surprised that it did

CrappiePappy
01-24-2009, 05:45 AM
CP

Maybe I am still not making myself clear.:)
Mr. Wells addressed the problem with the inferior glue used to hold
the ceramic in the guides and offered to replace any rods or sections
that had issues. I applaud him for this. As for the two rods I have that had this problem. One had the first guide replaced and is fine. As for the second one I figured I would go ahead and glue the ceramic back in the guide.
Now as for the rod tip in the photo, My issue is with the dried Lacquer drop, This was very visible, to the degree that it could interfere with your line while you are so carefully letting a little line out while lowering and twitching your jig.
Although this is a B&M rod, Mr. Wells did not sale it to me!
Grizzly Jig did! Even after I specifically asked that they make sure that the replacement for the first defective tip I returned to them did not have any defects. This is the replacement tip I received. I would not have sent this tip to a customer and I don't believe you would have either. Piece:D
Daniel

... you were displeased with the laquer job on the tip of the replacement. That's why I said it would never have given me a seconds thought, and why I mentioned the fact that high end brands, I've seen, have had that very same thing. I wouldn't have counted it as a "defect", or a problem. However, I do understand your concern about it interfering with the line, though I doubt it would be of a noticable nature or detriment. Perhaps the person that picked out that particular replacement piece, did not view the laquer bulge as a "defect" ?? They may or may not have been privy to the reason why the rod piece was being replaced, in the first place. And even if so, they may have been looking for a replacement tip without a missing ceramic ring, and their choice just happened to have a hefty application of glue.
I also understand your frustration in having to go thru the process of getting these problems resolved.
If one bad situation encounter was all it took for me to stop doing business with a retailer/wholesaler ... I'd not be buying anything from anybody, anymore :p I just think the "revenge" attitude is a little over the top, for such a simple mishap. (referring to "taking the rod with me, to show other fishermen") And, since you've been offered a remedy (by Jack Wells/BnM) ... why wouldn't you simply get that rod tip replaced, as offered ??

gone_fishing
01-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Whats sets a good business apart from the rest is how they resolve their problems.

crappiemax
01-24-2009, 07:05 AM
I agree with "Pappy" on this one. Why not take the fix?

I knew a guy who ran an archery shop, everytime something happened he took it personal and wouldn't do business with various supplies for one reason or another. He eventually ran out of suppliers to be mad at and he closed his door.

Holding onto all that anger over something as small as a fishing rod can't possibly be good for you. Take the fix and go on with your life.

slabbandit
01-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Sorry, I can't help myself. I use 11 foot Buck's Graphite Jig Poles exclusively. Not because I think that they are the greatest thing since "sliced bread" but because I can obtain replacement tip sections instead of having to make another tomato stake out of a broken rod.
I have some rods still in service that are so old that they have the sliding ring reel seats! All my rods kind of look funny because the faded back halves contrast with the shiny new front halves. I have had ceramic eyes fall out, broke them from mishandling them in the boat, and other reasons. I always try to keep a few replacement tips at the house just for this reason.
Sure, I still want to try other rods but by all my rods being the same I can change out parts and keep 'em going.;)

polarcrafter
01-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I have purchased fishing equipment {including rods} on several occasions from Grizzly jig and have never had any problems; in fact, on one order I did not find a pack of jig bodies that I had ordered. It was listed on the packing slip and when I called and spoke to Mr. Mansfield, he could not understand why it was missing and sent me a replacement pack at his expence. Imagine my embarsement when; several weeks later I "found" the missing bodies under my work bench. I talked over thirty minutes one day with Mr.Mansfield discussing his jigging technique on Reelfoot vs my spider-rigging here in NC. Try that with your local wallyworld or Basspro. I have nothing but good things to say about Grizzly Jig.

Nothing could be finer than "Spider-rigging in Carolina"

rushcreekoutdoor
01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Wow, sorry you had a bad experience.

I haven't. Ever. New products, trolling motor service (more than once), customer support, low prices, Reelfoot reports, and generally just a great bunch of people. (And I have never actually set foot in the store. They have picked up my trolling motor at Reelfoot and brought it back and done all other business on the phone!)

Its fine to voice your opinion (at least while we still have a 1st Amendment) but I would not expect many people who use this site to play the violin for you. The people at Grizzly have done too much positive for those of us in rural west ky, nw tenn, se missouri, n miss, and ne arkansas. I wouldn't quit eating at my favorite rest. b/c of one bad meal.

Have a great day and catch some fish!

rco

WestTennCrappie
01-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Daniel

Im not saying I dont understand some frustration on your part. But the fact is you didnt spend over a hundred bucks on a defective part, the tip in question costs about 15 bucks. Girzzly Jig has to protect thier interests. They sent you a replacement tip without a second thought. But it has to be unlikely that the replacement tip had a problem as well. The sad fact is that for every honest customer who would have recieved a second rod tip not to thier liking there are two that would take advantage of the situation by claiming the tip was bad only to get another free tip. I really dont see what else they could have done in that situation other than just refund the entire amount so they can get thier rods back. Especially after having sent you one rod tip already. If I put myself in thier shoes I would be thinking the same thing. Too much laquer? This guy is just trying to get something for free. Thats exactly what I would have thought as well. Its no knock on you but the way they handled the situation makes perfect sense. Give you the benifit of the doubt first, and then just offer to refund you for everything if you were still unsatisfied. And if after everything you were still not satisfied with Grizzly jig or B&M's product why not just return it for a full refund and spend your money on something you feel more comfortable with or have had better experiences. There is just not point in coming on here trying to goof up thier reputation becasue as you can see.......Grizzly Jig is a popular choice around here. Both locally and on crappie.com. They do so very well in everything that they do that rearely is anyone not satisfied. And just like polarcrafter said above. He lives in North Carolina. He called up Louie in Missouri whom he had never met in his life and the guy took 30 minutes out of his day to help the man with his fishing technique. You cant find that type of service anywhere. You cant even go to the bait shop and get people to have a discussion with you like that. Not to mention the fishing tips you get at a bait shop are mostly just what people hear, and sometimes all BS just to get you to buy bait. These men fish the lake, catch fish in the lake, and tell you exactly whats going on. You dont find that anywhere. And they dont feed you BS to get you to buy things. They tell you straight up what the situation is. They help people on any budget to get better and have the right equipment. There is just no other place that compares to what grizzly does on a daily basis. They dont need my help defending thier honor. Thier actions speak for themselves, and the other members here do a fine job as well. No other place I know has the reputation Grizzly Jig has. And what is most impressive, this is a small store in a small town almost in the middle of nowhere. They have built this following out of word of mouth only. They are known nationally by what they do locally and that says it all right there.

Michael D
01-24-2009, 10:23 AM
I am also a business owner. I have learned that I can satisfy 99.9% of my clients, but it's that .1% that I can not satisfy no matter what remedy is offered to them that seem to cause the most trouble. Why do you want to show other fishermen the poles? In my opinion, you are going out of your way to cause trouble. Why? Take the remedy offered and move on. It is your right to no longer to do business with them in the future. Just buy your fishing supplies elsewhere and if you fish someplace that sells 100% defect free products, then please post because I have never found a place that does. I am sure the folks at Grizzly spent more money on try to please you than they made on the entire transaction. At some point a business owner has to look at the bottom line and cut his losses. I have people that I no longer work for just because I know that I will spend all my profit just trying to please them. Bottom line is take the remedy and move on to another supplier. If you decide to show the rods to other fishermen, then be fair about it and also tell the whole story and tell about the remedy the Grizzly offered you.

crappietime
01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I also run a buisness with my wife.But seems to be all our customers seem to be happy with her work....It is taxidermy mounting ducks and turkeys....lol....to clarify the type work she does.But I have told them if they aint happy let us know before they leave the shop.I have always been pleased with BnM rods and Grizzly jig company.Matter fact the first time I ever delt with them was when I bought something off Ebay.I keep coming back year after year might not buy much but I do buy from them.

toothpick
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
There is a point of diminishing returns here. The fix was offered, yet that pound of flesh must be extracted. Spend your time on things that amount to something. I have purchased items from Grizzly Jigs and from most every other crappie supplier at one time or another. There have been some booboos with many, but very few that weren't resolved reasonably. I deal with people every day as an Insurance Claims Adjuster and have for 38 years. If you really would like to hear some nit-picking complaints, try that sometime. In spite of your best efforts, some people cannot be happy, or choose not to be.

ad1974
01-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I have ordered quite a bit of product from Grizzly Jig in the last few years(including rods and replacement tips)and have never had a problem.As a matter of fact I have found their service to be top notch,it's well packaged,gets to me super fast and all the folks I speak to on the phone are super friendly and know what they are talking about.

Ferdi
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
You said on your post on a state forum that the owner offered to refund your money for the 3 pole deal. Like I said over there, YOU BLEW IT, you knew you wasn't going to be happy so you should have sent the rods back and moved on.
I've had several dealings with grizzly Jigs and they always make sure I'm happy. You had your chance and didn't take it now you want to smear them. Shame shame. Ferdi aka Fred

deerman4567
01-25-2009, 06:48 AM
I called ahead on Thursday and got a price for 8 rods from Louie, I ended up with 8 rods and 9 reels, line and 3 Wally Marshall t-shirts for 160.00....best deal around. They just made a new customer and the kicker is I only live 2 miles from crappie company in Dexter.

Crappie Reaper
01-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Funny how this thread that started bashing Grizzlys service is going to bring more business to them. I am in the market for some items myself and osofishy plans on hooking me up with them. Grizzly made a valid attempt to bring the situation back to square one by offering a full return of the items purchased. That should have been enough. Sometimes products do have flaws and we all come across one from time to time. The only problem I have ever had with Grizzly was trying to get in touch with them to ask a question about a product. I found my response on Crappie.com from osofishy a day later through a p.m. He called my cell phone and gave me a first hand, one on one description of the product. From that alone, Grizzly has my respect, and future business.

talltimber
01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
deerman, I know you didn't say anything in particular about customer service. I think due to the sheer volume of business Griz can offer a little better price, but you can't beat the customer service at Crappy Co. either, IMO. Both have great service in my experience.

fingerlicken
01-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Sounds to me you need to take this up with BnM not Grizzly Jigs that rod should have been inspected before it left the manufacture!

CrappiePappy
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Sounds to me you need to take this up with BnM not Grizzly Jigs that rod should have been inspected before it left the manufacture!

And BnM made him a generous offer of replacement. Jack Wells, of BnM, has already openly admitted their problem (defective glue on the ceramic guide inserts), and addressed it. Daniel's beef is with Grizzly Jigs, for sending him what he sees as a defective/imperfect replacement product (an overabundance of glue on the tip eye of the replacement tip) ... even after he asked that it be thoroughly inspected before shipment, and was advised that it would be.
It's all a mute point, anyway, since the rod broke on him during use. That's why it has been suggested that he take the BnM offer.

OKSTATEjiggy
01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I will definitely give Grizzly Jigs a try, just because of this thread

FisherMike
01-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Personally, I think this is a real reason to complain.:D

Speck
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry about your dissatisfaction with Grizzly. I have had just the opposite experience with them. They always seem to have the fishing gear that I'm looking for when Bass Pro or some of the others can't get it. Louie, Wade and Lance Mansfield couldn't be more helpful with any problem you bring to them. The offer great advice on fishing techniques as well as mechandise. If they don't think you'll be happy with something, they tell you. One time, I broke the tip on a B&M trolling rod while fishing in Mississippi. It was my fault because I stepped on the rod. I stopped by Grizzly on the way home and the rod tip was replaced even though I told them that I broke it. You don't find customer service like that anywhere any more. IMHO

Reel Man
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Thats why I buy my rods from /www.proanglertackle.com/. I had one break in half on me after about 6 months and Ed just sent me a brand new one!!!. He was just surprised that it did

In total agreement with laserdoc.

Sent in a broken rear section of a 10 1/2' B & M Russ Bailey to B & M warranty dept. The pole broke completely in half the very first time I used it. Explained to them over the phone that I took it out of the plastic and went fishing with it. Never was stepped on, closed in compartment door or anything else. After their review they said it had some scratches on it and they would not warranty it. So, I paid them another $25.00 for a rear section and to ship it back. When I got it back I sold it and my other 24 B & M Poles. Switched to Pro Angler Rods and have not had another rod related problem while crappie fishing. Definitely better product and service, hands down.

cityboy
01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow.

A post like this says alot about ones character. One product malfunction and one human error leads to a slandering of one of the most honest and hardworking companies on the planet. I dont know you personally but I cant tell alot by reading your post. I have met hard a***s that are nearly impossible to please. I work for myself and people like that are everywhere. Thats the type of person that keeps a great company like Grizzly Jig from having the imposssible 100% customer satisfaction mark. But that doesnt stop them from trying to reach that goal. I hope you are not that person. Impossible to please. And I hope that next time you will get all the facts together and not judge such great people on one experience. It sounds to me like they tried to do the right thing and acted in good faith by replacing the first rod tip. Then they stepped up and offered a full refund when you were unahppy still. I would ask what more you wanted but I guess the obvious is that you wanted them to maybe better inspect the tips. Everyone makes an honest mistake every now and again. I hope that your jumping to conclusions about Grizzly Jig was just one of those on your part. An honest mistake. I hope you forgive me as well. I just had to jump in here knowing Grizzly Jig like I do. I assumed by making the post in the first place that you were looking for some honest input and not just trying to bash a respected organization, that would be me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

post like this says alot about ones character. One product malfunction and one human error leads to a slandering of one of the most honest and hardworking companies on the planet.( some people just have unrealistic expectations)

kycreek
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I've had good luck with Grizzly.

Daniel
01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
First off I love a heated discussion, Second implying that I am a whiner
(disgruntled customer) will not detour me from stating how I feel.
It can be a small issue such as this, or my issue going on with Humminbird
(about the slow GPS on my 997SI) or my stance on the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act! See
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/off-topic-forum/83524-good-news-hard-working-women-usa.html

To me it is a matter of Principle and Pride:)

CP thank you for your efforts to clarify my position on this issue,
Something that needs to be corrected is "Mr. wells Offer."
The offer is not for the Lacquer issue holding the guides to the rods but
for the glue that holds the ceramic inserts in the guides.
We are talking about two different applications.

Over ten Months have passed (transaction date 2/26/08) since I purchased these rods. When Mr. Mansfield refused to replace the second defective tip he sent to me is when I decided to never do business with them again. I never made it a point to give them an unprovoked negative review on a public forum until a request on this forum solicited opinions.
I did discuss this issue with other fisherman while chatting on the lake, or at camp, or what have you. I can tell you that there are many people that don't share the positive opinion of the dozen or so people here that have came to Grizzly Jigs defense (Many of these people are members of this forum and like the hundreds of people that have viewed this tread (1337 as of this time) There will be Many more that Don't think it was right for Mr. Mansfield to give me his word that he would replace the first defective tip with a non defective tip then not do it.
Yes, Mr. Mansfield did offer me a refund after he sent me the second defective tip. I did not want a refund, All I wanted is what I purchased "No more No less"
As I was waiting for my replacement tip to arrive, I did what most of us Crappie addicts do. I put reels with new line on my two new B&M poles,tied on a couple jig heads, added a plastic body (I Don't remember which plastic bodies because I had purchased 11 various packs of Bobby Garland baby shads, Yum Beaver tails, and Slab Busters. I can tell you I enjoyed taking my new toys out to my boat, Trying the rods out in my rod holders and dreaming of sneaking up to a stump and slowly dropping the jig on the shaded side and "Bingo" Theirs that magical "Thump."
Now keep in mind I live in Littleton Colorado, There was not a store within a couple hundred miles of here where I could walk in and buy a B&M Bucks jig pole. So when the second defective tip arrived and after Mr. Mansfield refused to replace the second defective tip I weighed out what I considered to be my options. Remember Mr. Mansfield did not offer a refund on the one rod! it was all three or nothing.
Option 1, take my reels off of the two rods, pack everything up and send it back for a refund. By doing this I would have wasted my time and ended up with nothing.
Option 2, Keep everything, Go into the garage take my Dremal and remove the dried lacquer drip that was hanging from the guide (Yes this would have interfered with the line on the rod) after removing the large part of the drip then taking fine wet sanding paper, emery cloth and fine steelwool to smooth it out. I chose option 2 and called Mr. Mansfield back and informed him of my decision.
It wasn't until about a month later when I had my first problem with the ceramic piece falling out of a guide (This is not because of any fault of Grizzly Jigs) but because of the inferior glue used to hold them in. I would like to take this opportunity to add that I take pride in knowing that my complaint (or as some people call it Whining) along with Waterboy's complaint, Led to Mr. wells coming onto the forum and offering to make it right for customers with this problem.
Like myself and Waterboy there will be other fisherman that will have a renewed faith in B&M rods, Instead of wondering why the ceramics keep falling out of the guides and debating if it is worth the hassle to pack it up and pay shipping just to see if it will be replaced, Now they know that B&M will take care of them and send them a replacement at no cost.

West Tenn Crappie,
I admire your support for your friends at Grizzly Jig But I just want you to understand that your statement below (unfortunately it is true) does not apply to this incident.
"The sad fact is that for every honest customer who would have received a second rod tip not to their liking there are two that would take advantage of the situation by claiming the tip was bad only to get another free tip." WTC the defective tips were being returned.
Since only a couple dozen people have replied to this tread, I hope the Moderators don't come up with some non-legitimate reason to remove it.
Keep in mind there are hundreds of people who are viewing it and lets let them continue do so so they can form their own opinions. Thank You!

Regards,

Daniel Reed

creekslick
01-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Personally, I think this is a real reason to complain.:D

I wouldn't just complain, I would move.:eek::D

Daniel
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry about your dissatisfaction with Grizzly. I have had just the opposite experience with them. They always seem to have the fishing gear that I'm looking for when Bass Pro or some of the others can't get it. Louie, Wade and Lance Mansfield couldn't be more helpful with any problem you bring to them. The offer great advice on fishing techniques as well as mechandise. If they don't think you'll be happy with something, they tell you. One time, I broke the tip on a B&M trolling rod while fishing in Mississippi. It was my fault because I stepped on the rod. I stopped by Grizzly on the way home and the rod tip was replaced even though I told them that I broke it. You don't find customer service like that anywhere any more. IMHO

Speck, this is no directed at you

Some customers can have a broken rod piece replaced for free even when they shouldn't, And I am a Whiner, Disgruntled customer, whatever fill in the blanks... Because all I wanted were the quality rods I paid for! And I shouldn't bad mouth the company that treaded me this way:rolleyes:

Michael D
01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
It all boils down to the factories in China that are pumping out millions of products by using low paid and sometimes slave labor. And we as consumers are supporting this because we are always after the "good" deals. I have got some Shimano rods that I paid $180 for and I bet that they were made in the same factory that made your rods. We have become a nation of comsumers, instead a nation of producers. We can't trust them to make toys without using lead based paint, but we trust them to produce our medicines and food. They are taking over our Country and are not having to fire a single shot. I try to buy U.S.A products when I can find them; the products are usually a bit more expensive, but I am willing to pay the difference. Just curious, where is the Humminbird produced?

Daniel
01-25-2009, 10:46 PM
It all boils down to the factories in China that are pumping out millions of products by using low paid and sometimes slave labor. And we as consumers are supporting this because we are always after the "good" deals. I have got some Shimano rods that I paid $180 for and I bet that they were made in the same factory that made your rods. We have become a nation of comsumers, instead a nation of producers. We can't trust them to make toys without using lead based paint, but we trust them to produce our medicines and food. They are taking over our Country and are not having to fire a single shot. I try to buy U.S.A products when I can find them; the products are usually a bit more expensive, but I am willing to pay the difference. Just curious, where is the Humminbird produced?

Micheal,

The box for my 997 says it was assembled in the USA

Probably from parts made in China and anywhere else that slave
labor is available:mad:

drifter106
01-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Lots of interpretation here for sure...based on your initial post Daniel, the thing that caught my eye was the fact that the company, per your request, would verify that the items were in working order. They said they would comply.

Did anybody catch that?

Did they?

Not once but twice they sent out a defective product. Granted, they did make an attempt to rectify the situation and my hats off to them for doing that. Personally, I would of taken the 2nd pole and be done with it or glued the ceramic in on the first one.

If this was the corner butcher shop and the owner had to take care of a customer well, some of you know it would be different. Life and society has changed... fast paced, family unit has deteriorate... you have to deal with it or get caught up in it and that can be very stressful.

Inferences to Daniel's character adds nothing to this discussion....I'm surprised that your still hanging in here Daniel especially after all the character assassinations that are flying around :). Think about all those guys over in electronics and the problems they are having with HB's GPS. ;)

Really not worth it...

good luck

OsoFishy
01-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Im Lance I am the youngest of the three Mansfields at Grizzly Jig. Look guys heck we made a mistake. Daniel I feel your frustration you made a resonable request and we droped the ball! You have to right to be frustrated just like I would. We try our best to serve our customers the way we would want to be served. We dont have any lame excuse for what happend it just did and Im sure It wont be the last time we make a mistake. We do our best to correct our mistakes and prevent them in the future! All I can say we love crappie fishing and dealing with others who love our sport and will contiue to provide great products to our costomers and great service. And If anyone out there ever needs any thing at all!!! PM me or just give me a Call and I will personally take care of It!
Lance Mansfield
Grizzly Jig Company
1(800)305-9866

bugman
01-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Im Lance I am the youngest of the three Mansfields at Grizzly Jig. Look guys heck we made a mistake. Daniel I feel your frustration you made a resonable request and we droped the ball! You have to right to be frustrated just like I would. We try our best to serve our customers the way we would want to be served. We dont have any lame excuse for what happend it just did and Im sure It wont be the last time we make a mistake. We do our best to correct our mistakes and prevent them in the future! All I can say we love crappie fishing and dealing with others who love our sport and will contiue to provide great products to our costomers and great service. And If anyone out there ever needs any thing at all!!! PM me or just give me a Call and I will personally take care of It!
Lance Mansfield
Grizzly Jig Company
1(800)305-9866

Way to step up Lance.........your dad and Wade are stand up guys and i can see you are as well.
Thats the level of customer service everytime i've ever dealt with grizzly.......do business with em fellas you won't be disappointed.

bttmline
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Lance, Why aren't you in bed. You have to be whipped. I just got back from 3 days with Grizzly Jigs at thier annual show. These folks are at the top of their game and it saddens me that one person can has so much dissappointment in a matter that has been tried to be made right. The Manfield family is to crappie fishing what the Andretti's are to car racing. One disappointed customer in a million is pretty good.

rushcreekoutdoor
01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow.

My thoughts from Galatians 5:22-25 (New International Version)

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Way to go Lance. Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and he will lift you up. James 4:10

You can't conceal the Fruit of the Spirit.

rco

Daniel, I apologize if I was overly critical.

frank lawhead
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I think Daniel stepped in the Lions den --:):)

Guys I hav been with Grizzly too many years to not say something ---I,ve never seen any body that tries any harder than they do--which shows up in all the response here
When we walked in at the show one of the women at the desk called my wife by here name[wife says how did you know that]--says the gal by your voice from the telephone [shows how often we call]
My thoughts--take that and 1.75 and you can buy a cup of coffee about anywhere-;)

AgriHawg
01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I had a great experience using Grizzly. No problems and great customer support. Just my experience.
J

lowe rider
01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I live in Illinois near St Louis. I called Grizzly Jig Co. a few days before the Collinsville
fishing show the first weekend of January and asked if they would bring some rodholders
I was needing to the show. When i got to the show Wade had my order waiting for me.
The service I have received when doing business with this company has always been
first rate.

klight1122
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Lance Mansfield
Grizzly Jig Company
1(800)305-9866

Man that is standing behind your stuff there! I have never used there services, but you can bet they will be in the running for future purchases......Good Job osofishey.

klight1122

Vector
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
:) Out of all this back and forth.....I think the only thing I've learned for SURE is that I'll buy my fishing rods in person. :)

Parker

cityboy
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Lance Mansfield
Grizzly Jig Company
1(800)305-9866

way to go thats great customer service just like dan needs , how all can bury the axe.send him another tip and a sponge to wipe up his tears . wow what a whiner, i would pay him not to buy from me .

beenfishin?
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
What caught my eye in Daniels post is the part about taking his dremel and removing that drop from the tip. Now Daniel, is it possable that you "bumped" the rod with that dremel causing a week point which later caused the break? Or maybe lifted that rod by the tip while using that dremel? Or even stepped on it or sat something on it btween the time you received it and broke it?? I would say that you should be very pleased that BnM offered to replace it after they KNEW that you had "modified" it, as this voids EVERY waranty known to man. I think maybe you need to settle down and really think this thing through. Just my 2 cents. By the way, Grizzly, I will do business with you any time based solely on what I have read in this thread.

Daniel
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I had a nice talk with Louie Mansfield this afternoon.
First thing I would like to say is, I hope they can get there power back up
and other problems brought on by the ice storm fixed ASAP.

Now that I have talked to Mr. Mansfield I want to state here also that
I appreciate Lance's Apology, As Lance quoted "Daniel I feel your frustration you made a reasonable request and we droped the ball! You have to right to be frustrated just like I would."
As for many things in live the end result is what matters most.

Grizzly Jigs reputation is what led me to do business with them in the beginning,
The mature way they have handled this issue now is why I will bring my business to them in the future.

Regards,

Daniel Reed

crappieranger
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome back from the lions den. :)

CR

HookUp
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Spend your time on things that amount to something.

Good quote!

I dont have a dog in this fight, but this is one of the reason I started building rods.

Then only I am to blame for any problems I spot with them.

Daniel
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome back from the lions den. :)

CR

Thanks CR:)

rocket rich
01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I have done business with Grizzly jigs for more than 10 years and never had a problem and spent a lot of bucks with them. I doubt that they are at fault as for B&M same thing they are straight Arrows.

pole bender 2
01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm against Daniel. I cast my vote for the good guys

foul hook
01-29-2009, 08:54 AM
The moral to this story. Be careful who you step on. Especially on crappie dot com. it might come back to bight you in the rear. I have never done business with grizzly jigs and I believe that i might have to side with them. This has been very intresting.

mistertwister
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Life is too short. If Grizzly Jig tried to make it right and so did BnM, go with it. Like RCO said, just because you get a bad meal at your favorite restaurant, doesnt mean you won't go back. The law of averages catches up to you some day.

I have ordered from Grizzly Jig, just like many others here. Matter of fact, last year i asked for and recieved a $100 gift card from Grizzly. I came up with an order that was a few dollars over that and instructed them on my fax cover sheet to call me for the balance and the shipping that i would owe. A few days later the package came, totaling $106.00 plus the shipping. Basically, they took my $100 gift certificate fullfilled my order and didnt call about the extra. When i called them, they said thanks for being a customer.

Like every business, you dont hear a peep from the 99.9% of satisfied customers, but the .1% dissatisfied ones are really vocal, and you tend to remember them.

Just my .02

twister

shipahoy41
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Quote..............from Gone Fishing....."You said yourself Grizzly offered to make it right with you. B&M made a generous offer to settle your problem."

That is all any respectable business person can do. If anyone ever had a problem with something I handcraft, I would try and make it right with the customer. That is all anyone can ask for. Then if you are still not satisfied you have the right to take your business elsewhere. You do not have the right to slander them when they made an attempt to rectify the problem.

CrappiePappy
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
customer satisfied ... thread closed. ;)