Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie depth under ice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie depth under ice?

I was out at a local pond this weekend and dropped my underwater camera down..i was in 10 fow...all the gills and bass were hovering one foot off the bottom..the crappie were no more than 2-3 feet under the ice...any input on why so shallow? every time i dropped the jig i had a gill but them damn crappie wouldnt even sniff at it...weird to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lhumphre View Post
    I was out at a local pond this weekend and dropped my underwater camera down..i was in 10 fow...all the gills and bass were hovering one foot off the bottom..the crappie were no more than 2-3 feet under the ice...any input on why so shallow? every time i dropped the jig i had a gill but them damn crappie wouldnt even sniff at it...weird to me...
    during the day, the stuff that forage feeds on will rise to the surface, thus moving the forage up, AND thus, moving the crappie up as well....

Post Thanks / Like

seen this happen many times. We use to site fish. Watch down the hole and when the bait disappeared, we would fish at that depth. This is when the fish were up high in the water column.

Post Thanks / Like

You start getting into the later half of the 4th quarter of the hard water season on most bodies of water and not only crappie but BIGGER crappie run much higher in the column. As a previous poster mentioned - food is one potential reason. 2nd is related to oxygen content. There are only two ways to introduce oxygen into water. 1) Aeration 2) Photosynthesis. Spring run off aerates the water days and even weeks before plants start doing their part. You may not have had water running down the holes last weekend but those fish are far from stupid.
    Cuz that's what the Bos says...