Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sandy Pond/Pulaski Area??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandy Pond/Pulaski Area??

Hello from Delaware, In my younger years I chased ducks all over the east coast and spent alot of time on sandy pond nw of pulaski. had some great times there but always hunting. anybody know anything about the crappie fishing there?? i know there are crappie in there. long story short shot a huge american merganser drake(aka fish ducks) there one day. not the best eating bird but i was looking for one to use for carving decoys from, i carved professionally back then too and that year the pairs for the world championships were common mergys. anyway when i got back to de i took the bird to a local taxidermist and a few days later he called me back asking where i shot the duck?? i told him and asked why? he was in the middle of skinning the bird and found a really unusual lump in its throat so cut it open and low and behold not 1 but 2 7" crappies it must of just gobbled up. he asked my permission to keep the crappies to mount as well, sure no problem. wonder if a common mergy was chasing them through the water?
    so so much for my story, upstate ny is a fabulous place and some outstanding scenery and people too, i have not gotten up there in a while but have many friends there i want to get up to visit and now that ive kind of turned into a crappie fanatic curious if anyone has any ideas about sandy pond and that area? or perch river maybe? Y'all stay warm and look forward to hearing from anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a guy that used to post here regularly, who lives there and fishes the pond all the time. That would be fishhead4268. He used to pound them during the spring. Not sure what he's been up to lately, since he hasn't posted in over a year. But based on the catches he was showing, there are plenty of slabs in Sandy Pond.

We got a couple divers ( a bluebill and a ringneck) from a little north of there this year - we call the pond we hunted "LakeView". don't know if that rings any bells, but we missed a ton that day. Wasn't until the ride home when we figured out why - ducks flying in left-to-right, 30+ mph wind right-to-left, and steel shot all adds up to us shooting behind the birds.

Post Thanks / Like

hey joe thanks for the comeback, and yes have hunted lakeview many times years back. you know thats probably another spot where the crappie hang??? just need to explore and find them. I assume you were hunting on the large pond at lakeview where you launch, the divers really get screaming down that pond and can humble the best of shooters. dont forget that steel travels a whole lot quicker than lead so if your shooting is not too far out cut down on your lead, alot! took me a long time to figure that out, but once you get the hang of it you can make it work. also used to know some guys that would hunt a couple of hours there and when it slowed down would go out in the middle and find a hole in the weeds and catch some really nice perch.
    fished a tidal river sat am just south of here in maryland and caught a bunch like 50 crappie with a friend as well as a couple of bass too. real treat to catch them like that and wondering how long that bite will last?? hopfully hit them again this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

You're thinking of the right pond - the one with the launch. Haven't tried lakeview for crappie... something for me to think about this spring/summer. It's about an hour drive for me, so a fishing trip there will have to be something I plan on ahead of time. Mostly I hit some local small lakes within 10 minutes of the house, spur of the minute. One of those deals where I suddenly realize that I've got a couple hours free, so I quick hook up the john boat and go. I've got the local lakes all pretty much patterned for crappie, and do pretty well from pre-spawn right through the dog-days of summer. Fall rolls around, and I start chasing salmon in the Oswego River, or Steelies in some of the smaller Lake O tribs, then hunting season starts, and I'm done chasing slabs until spring.

Post Thanks / Like

what are some of your local lakes? im assuming you probably fish cayuga? i was there once, but just visiting some friends, cant remember the town they lived in it was on the west side of the lake, not really a town, out in the country and they were right near the lake, very nice area though. you ever fish montezuma? took a ride through there one time, neat place. came to this one spillway that was loaded with huge carp rolling on each other in the current and while watching them a big pike came in amoungst them, pretty neat to watch. I know that area is good waterfowling too, went goose hunting several times near there and really lanced them, again back in my younger days. week ago saturday a freind and i caught about 50-60 crappie in a local tidal river that seem to be stacked up in there for quite awhile now, check out the maryland board if intrested to see how some of the other guys are doing. also caught 4 pickrel and one nice 13 1/2 crappie in a local millpond spillway last night, weather really mild down here right now and ice off everything so taking advantage of it. again nice talking to you, stay warm, springs comming!