PDA

View Full Version : Tired Of Bad Manafactures

flatfish46
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Well I got into crappie fishing not knowing if I would enjoy it so I got get-by rods Rapalas 2 8's 2 10 's broke all 4 of them in 4 months well I enjoy crappie fishing bought a couple Sam Heaton 10's third trip today broke one in half on a dinky 3lb black bass at hook set and it broke on the handle blank? never had this happen before with any thing almost thru it in the lake I remembered My reel was still on it here's the pics. of fish and rod laying by My last good one?

CrappieKillerJigs
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
ozark or todd huckabee xlite jiggin stick is the way to go...

robbor
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I like it, someone who doesnt set the hook like a little girl:p.
I have to say that my crappie rods seem to hold up fine if i dont abuse them and keep them out of harms way. On another note i have been really pleased with shimano rods, they seem to standup really well.

lamplighter
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I've been using bnm westpoint 10 fts for about 6 years never had any problems with them. have pulled in 15lb drum, 3and 4 lb catfish. 10 lb limbs can't go wrong with them. Just bought a 10 ft pro angler only used it 1 time before the weather set in, it seems to a nice rod.

Scrapper
01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I use American Spirt..."outlaw"...rods and love them. I know there are ALOT of good ones out there though.

I do know my crappie stuff is WAAYY cheaper than my bass stuff

SIG70
01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Wally Marshall Tightline specials for me, they will handle any fish you just happen hook while perch jerkin, I too got sick of sams super JUNK.

skiptomylu
01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I have 3 different long rods I use for crappie and have not broke any of them. The lowest cost ones are the Pro Angler and then Wally Marshall Pro Series and I guess the oldest ones I have are BnM Buck's Ultimate which have got a lot higher than they use to be. I think they are in the $80-$90 range.

All my other rods came over from my bass fishing and are all high end rods so will not try to convince anyone on them, but none of them ever broke except the GLoomis $345 rod that I sat on, but they did replace it anyway, LOL!

Skip

SpeckWick
01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I've caught 10-15 pound carp on my 10' Sam Heaton with no problem. I did break my 11' Sam Heaton trying to fre a snag. It broke at the rod joint where the two sections go together. Never saw one break there, but it may very well have been the way I was using it to try to get the jig loose. I got a new tip section and no problems since. Call BnM and send the broken one back. They'll replace it. Or if you bought it local take it there. One thing I've found, be careful not to knock the rod against the boat or anything. If you dent it, it will break at that dent.

rockmike
01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I've hauled in some good sized cat, drum, and gar on my Wally Marshalls without breaking one.

FroggerZack
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Man I hate that for ya dude! That is a sickening feeling especially when they are fairly new rods.

But I would contact BnM... I would think they would want to take a look at that rod.

JSC
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
"One thing I've found, be careful not to knock the rod against the boat or anything. If you dent it, it will break at that dent."

On the road as a jobber salesman all those many years I have had to pick up a lot of rods & poles ...... if it is a defect it will be a smooth break ... if it has been "bruised" it will splinter .... simple bumps and nocks that you would not think of hurting the rod will "bruise" them and when you get them in the right postion under pressure (and not to much) they will break on you .. hate to tell you that but after seeing hundreds of them ... thats the way it is.

Now if I only had that good old rod I nicked the trolling motor with and it blew up on me later I would sure be happy ... I think we have all done it even if we were not aware of it.

Lets go fishing ... suppose to warm up some more in the AM ..

JSC
:)

mopar4x4
01-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I recommend getting some wm rods I have universals and tightlines I have caught many big cats on them and even some stumps will trolling. I have only had them about six months or so but I like them and plan to buy more.

kody
01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
well i personally dont have all the money to but expensive rods like some
but i havent used them either so i cant say anything bad about them
but ive had a 5 ft ugly stik from walmart
and ive caught more fish then i can count on this rod and its still workin just fine today

Cane Pole
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
well i personally dont have all the money to but expensive rods like some
but i havent used them either so i cant say anything bad about them
but ive had a 5 ft ugly stik from walmart
and ive caught more fish then i can count on this rod and its still workin just fine today

You right youngster. Ugly sticks are good rods. I got some. They grandkid proof.:)

kody
01-22-2009, 10:22 PM
ahahaha exactly i got mine about 5 years ago from my grandpa
after he taught me to use a spinning reel
he took me to the store and told me to pick a rod and i picked that and its been faithful ever since

kody
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
and ive also bought a ugly stik pro light since then
and i like that a little more

luvjign
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I can't knock BnM poles. I've got several of the 10 footers, and some must be 20 years old or so......have the short foam handle with the reel rings, and the wire eyes instead of the ceramic eyes. They've all been jobbed in brush tops to free a jig, and been used hard. Have popped the tip eye off a couple right at the eye, but replace the eye, and kept on truckin........my abuse. I'm just not understanding the poles I'm seeing being broken, breaking where they are unless it's operator error. Not making accusations, but like I said, the ones I own have been "used", and have not had them break where y'alls are breaking.

Heron
01-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I guarantee the Wally Marshall rods will hold up. Guys use those rods like crazy here on the piers in Lake Michigan for Salmon & steelhead. If they will handle those fish, they will handle Crappie & Bass. I don't really use any long rods for Crappie fishing up here so never tried one for it, but seen them work for years here on the piers.

fultondalecrappie
01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I had a 10' sam heaton break in 2 places setting the hook on a 2 pound spotted bass and now all I have are wally marshalls.The ugly sticks are the way to go for kids.I have seen my 4 year old shut his in doors,give trees a good lickin with it, and throw it on the ground when he tries to cast like daddy.

flatfish46
01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
I personally don't think the quailty is there that they might have ounce been I got some Fenwick HMG's I had for 30 yr's never this problem.

gone_fishing
01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
I personally don't think the quailty is there that they might have ounce been I got some Fenwick HMG's I had for 30 yr's never this problem.

Depends on what they are constructed of too. The lighter the more sensitive the rod the easier it will break.

must buy my fish
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
I bought 5 Shakespear 12 foot crappie hunter poles , every one broke during normal use in the first year. They don't offer replacement ends for their products. Now when I buy a pole I ask first if the tip is a part that be obtained for repacement. They told me to send in the pole they may replace it, By the time I pay for shipping I could have bought the tip I needed with no wait.

mduncan62
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Don't leave rods put together, hanging over the side of you boat and drive it home. To me, if you do this and drive at speed, your rods will bang around due to wind, etc. That will kill them.

I stopped in to Tony Edgar's store, (the Ozark Rod guy) and I was giving him friendly static because I have broken every one of his rods that I have bought, (never mind that 2 out of 3 where more then likely my fault). He grabbed one of the shelf, put it together, and slammed it hard against the metal roof in his store probably 25 times. Gave it to me and I've been 5 or 6 trips now and the rod can still catch anything I throw at it.

That being said, anyone who manufactures anything can have a bad run of product. In the case of fishing rods, most of the time the rod will be fine, because the guy using it may not fish that much. But someone who goes out 3 times a week is way more likely to expose a flaw.

Lets face it, a guy who loves to fish and does it a lot shouldn't expect a rod to last 5-10 years. I'm happy as all get out if I can get 2 seasons out of it.
Why do you think the pros get 20 or more rods in each shipment from the sponsor, some of those guys need a warehouse.

deathb4disco
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Lets face it, a guy who loves to fish and does it a lot shouldn't expect a rod to last 5-10 years. I'm happy as all get out if I can get 2 seasons out of it.

I have to disagree with you slightly. I fully expect my fly and spinning rods to last longer than 5-10 years. Shoot, I've got some fly rods that are well over 20 years old. Unless I do something stupid (like slamming them in the car door), they should last another twenty.

Crappie poles are made from very cheap blanks overseas. I don't use them. If I want to vertical jig in brush, I use a fly rod.

foul hook
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Sounds like you are hard on equipment. I have an old fishing partner that can destroy a ball bearing , in the desert with no tools. You might want to check your drag. Something is rong with your tecnique.

Fatman
01-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah it seems that's the way things are going up in price, down in quality!!

My ultralite rod right now is an Old Bass Pro Pro Comp II that I've had for almost 20 years and it still looks new. I've caught panfish and the biggest fish I've caught on it is an 11 lb channel cat which was a great fight!!!!!!!!

Now we all have kids and nieces and nephews well my nephew Kris is a TERROR on fishing rods, always seems to break them no matter what even though he's 23 now. Well when I saw the ad's on TV for the Zebco Indistructable rods I bought him one. He just use's it throws it in the corner when done or leaves in his trunk and he hasn't broken it yet!! For $20 bucks it's been a lifesaver and MINE ARE SAFE!!!!!!! I even have one and it's been fishing really good.

I love the older Shimano rods and especially the Fightin Rods. Got hooked on them when I watched the Babe Winkleman show.

I'm tough on tackle and most of you probably are too, but you expect things to last with minimal care. Maybe we all need to get on the evaluations boards for fishing tackle companies and maybe they'll listen instead of putting out junk

Fatman

deathb4disco
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah it seems that's the way things are going up in price, down in quality!!

Another thing is that rodmakers have almost totally gotten away from fiberglass as a material. Fiberglass is very strong and not as brittle as graphite. A healthy dose of fiberglass is what makes Ugly Stiks so tough.

Unfortunately, it's a little heavier than graphite. It's not so heavy that I wouldn't buy one, though. Rod companies, are you listening?

Fatman
01-23-2009, 12:34 PM
D4B

You're right the companies better watch out, if everyone starts buying the Ugly's and other so called FIBerglass rods it could put a dent in their profits.

Fatman

gone_fishing
01-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Another thing is that rodmakers have almost totally gotten away from fiberglass as a material. Fiberglass is very strong and not as brittle as graphite. A healthy dose of fiberglass is what makes Ugly Stiks so tough.

Unfortunately, it's a little heavier than graphite. It's not so heavy that I wouldn't buy one, though. Rod companies, are you listening?

exactly my point earlier when i said depends on what material the rod is constructed of.