PDA

View Full Version : why crappie fish?

Slipcork
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Why do you crappie fish? For fun? For food? Or?

bigfish5
01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
i fish bass tournaments most of the time. it came be almost like work. so i fish for crappie for the enjoyment of catching them. plus they taste great too!!

fiddlefarter
01-21-2009, 11:12 PM
I'll go first. Its FUN! I do like to eat em too.

Mainly its because I grew up doing it. I bass fish (tournaments and just fishin') now a lot but crappie fishing is like my high school sweetheart, i'l always love her. It lets me slow down and relax too. My dad, and his 2 brothers all crappie fish only and I really like to fish with them... Most that know us, know we Counce's are crappie fishermen. I'll kick some ass bass fishin', but I am a crappie fisherman! It's in my blood, my granddaddy was one too.

wwwUncle
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
For fun and because they are very easy to catch.

crappietime
01-22-2009, 01:00 AM
To eat and for fun.

crappie bug
01-22-2009, 02:05 AM
2 words YUM YUM

klight1122
01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
It's the thump!:D

Big Willie
01-22-2009, 06:30 AM
I fish for them for a number of reasons. My very favorite is when they are shallow and I use a minnow under a cork, I love dropin the cork in and watchin go out of site. Most of all Ilike cookin them fresh and havin cold beer to wash em down.

lamplighter
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm with bw I love to fish a cork,but this year i been really fishing a jig and like that thump. 2,or 12 beer's sound good with them hot fried fish.

laserdoc
01-22-2009, 06:44 AM
taste

slabbandit
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Every since I was a kid I liked crappie fishing the best followed next by a great red-ear trip. I still remember going Yo-Yo fishin' with my Dad on the Arkansas River way back when all the shallows were covered with willow trees. When the crappie would move into the edge of the willows the action would get fast and furious!:)
I really like getting together with friends and building habitat and then later catching nice slabs for all the work.;)

J White
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
It's an obsessive/compulsive thing :D

I keep saying I'm gonna start bothering some different species of fish,
but always have to get "just one more" crappie trip in.

jimfish
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Its easier than bungee jumping or hang gliding.

roybuoy
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
The best tasting fish in the rivers and lakes.And very relaxing.

zappaf19
01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I was bass fishing and a friend talked me into crappie fishing. I found it was more fun! Plus they taste sooooooo good!
Bill

lhumphre
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Its always a new challenge...depth, color, structure..and if you figure them out and get a mess, it is a great feeling..and the thump and fish fries also!!

SteveJ
01-22-2009, 08:20 AM
I have always fished from when I was very young. And for many years after I was grown I thought there was only 1 fish in the water, bass. Did the tournament and bass club thing until I got burnt out and getting on up in years so for about 2 years didn't even fish. Then I started doing a little crappie fishing and now I'm ate up with that, lots easier on the old body.

deathb4disco
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
For the chicks.

DC Crappie Kid
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
It's the only game fish that reproduces faster than I can catch them!

I'm kidding of course. I really crappie fish for therapy.

hotmod
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I love to catch & release to the grease!!
Fun to catch & by far the best tasting fish.

CrappiePappy
01-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Luther Thomas Cruse .... my Grandfather :p

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/GrandPaknewhow.jpg

... cp :cool:

gmpartsman
01-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I enjoy the challenge. Can I outsmart them into biting. Sometimes I win, sometimes the Crappie win. Besides, they taste sooo good.

Heron
01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
I love sight fishing for them along weed lines and drop offs. Nothing better than swimming a tube jig with an ultra light rod and 4 pound line along a drop off and all of a sudden just seeing the jig "disappear" set the hook and game on! They are definitely addicting...

rancrappie
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
food and fun

STUMP HUNTER
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I crappie fish because I enjoy when a cork goes down or you see a rod tip jump. To watch the sun come up or watch the sun set. I crappie fish because of all the crappie fisherman before me, the down home men who enjoyed sharing where to fish and how to catch them. I crappie fish because of other crappie fisherman that you meet on the lake and become friends with them just because of the sport. I crappie fish because no one looks down on you if you are fishing from the bank or a wash tub or a 10' jon boat.
Why do I crappie fish---the same reason as all crappie fisherman---
I LOVE IT!!!!

Heron
01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I crappie fish because I enjoy when a cork goes down or you see a rod tip jump. To watch the sun come up or watch the sun set. I crappie fish because of all the crappie fisherman before me, the down home men who enjoyed sharing where to fish and how to catch them. I crappie fish because of other crappie fisherman that you meet on the lake and become friends with them just because of the sport. I crappie fish because no one looks down on you if you are fishing from the bank or a wash tub or a 10' jon boat.
I LOVE IT!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better!

hair jig
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I Like To Fish For Crappie For The Sport. They Aren't And Easy Fish To Catch Always EveyrbodyS A Pro When Their In The Shallows But What When They Vacate What Do They Do Or A Cold Front Turns Them Into A Negative Feeding Mood. A Simple Drop Of The Lake Level And Thier Hard To Get A Bite. And Hoping To Catch That 4 Pounder
Some Day. And Bye The Way They Taste Great.:d

Wannabe...
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I only do it so I can poke fun at the boys on the MS board. Besides that, I'm on a mission from God to erradicate the species from the face of the planet.....mostly, I'm concentrating on Grenada right now though.

Wannabe....

PawPaw "gene"
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Because I want to, and I can. Beside that. its fun.

"gene"

TapOut64
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
It's in my blood, it's how I raised.

Outlaw1&2
01-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm with Tap it's in my blood,can't get it out and don't want to.

tim
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Its the thump for me and i love to eat em.

TreednNC
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
b/c everything else is too easy

bugman
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
The thump is in my blood and always will be,as a bonus its always nice to hand a bag of fillets to older folks.

Speck
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
The thump is in my blood and always will be,as a bonus its always nice to hand a bag of fillets to older folks.

Well said Bugs. By the way, I am older than you.;):D

magnum500
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I crappie fish because;

1. It is fun to be on the lake.
2. It is fun to be with friends.
3. It is fun to catch crappie.
4. It is fun to brag about your catch.( if you have a good day)
5. It is fun to eat crappie.
6. It is more fun to crappie fish than to work.

Shoot, crappie are just fun!!!

splitshot
01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Cause they's so perty, whether just coming out of the water, or fried in cajun batter sittin on a biscuit!

Cane Pole
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I can kick my grandsons butt bad. He really shames in Nintendo. Cocky little turd.

I love fishing , reading bout fishing, and talking bout fishing. Good soul therapy.

Y-SLABS
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
past fishes!!!
canada pike ---work!!
Mn. walleye---work!!
Fl. bass---work!!
Ky stripers--not that much work!!

Crappie anywhere----Fun!!!!

lag
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

This is my youngest son in the back of the boat at Reelfoot a couple of years ago. You don't get many chances to share times like this with your kids. If you can experience this and not believe in God, I fell sorry for you.

Crappie fishing is slower paced than bass fishing and you can enjoy what's around you more. I ain't getting any younger and my energy level ain't what it used to be. Still have to use all the mental ability I have but it's easier on the old body.

And finally, as a whole the people who crappie fish are a lot more fun to be around than most of the others.

Quicksilver1958
01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I share all the reasons that have been mentioned thus far.

But, I get the most enjoyment out of sharing ideas with others and helping others catch fish. I seem to be booking more "just want to learn guide trips" than actual "put me on some fish guide trips".. I find that I enjoy the passing of information to help someone else more than the actual catching. Just me.

toothpick
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Fun, Food, Friendship. Because Bass fishing is taken way too serious.

luvjign
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
It's the best blood pressure medicine there is.................not to mention, it's supper here at least twice a week.

kody
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
i grew up fishin for crappie and bluegills
not that im that old (17) but ive been fishin since i can remember
and that was always our target fish
my grandparents love the fish because theyre bigger than bluegill and still big enough to fillet
and its soooo fun to use a 4 - 5 ft ultralight and throw jigs and catch em in the shallows

crappie_dan
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I love to eat em, love to catch em too!

beenfishin?
01-22-2009, 11:32 PM
What reason is there not to???

rednecksooner
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
its gotta be the thump for me. the thump is just as exciting for every crappie no matter if its a 5 inch dink or a 2 lb slab.

rnvinc
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Crappie fishing is as OCDable as you want to make it...and Lord knows I'm OCD...!!

Herewego
01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I have always fished from when I was very young. And for many years after I was grown I thought there was only 1 fish in the water, bass. Did the tournament and bass club thing until I got burnt out and getting on up in years so for about 2 years didn't even fish. Then I started doing a little crappie fishing and now I'm ate up with that, lots easier on the old body.

+1 I can relate to that.

Whitecap
01-23-2009, 08:44 PM
It's fun to catch them and fun to eat them, and when you start it's hard to stop!

floatntiny
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Less filling & taste great!!!!!

Countryboy N.C.
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
It is fun and I am hooked on it and can't quit. Eat them at least once a week.

foul hook
01-23-2009, 09:28 PM
With a sensitive rod, it is the instant the fish hits the bait. it is like putting your finger in a light socket. It is better than your first kiss. I had rather catch a hand full of fish while holding rod one on one than catch a bucket full spider rigging, trolling or any other technique. it doesnt matter what species, i just like to fish.

cash50
01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I crappie fish because the fish are shiny...

bobberwatcher
01-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I crappie fish, turkey hunt, squirrel hunt, duck hunt, deer hunt with bow, muzzleloader and gun, bass fish and bream fish. But I would give it ALL up to do nothing but crappie fish if I absolutely had to.

drfishjd
01-24-2009, 07:44 AM
My uncle (who started me fishing) always told me that for each day you fish, you get to live and extra day. That gets you out on the water. As for chasing crappie, as opposed to other species, not only is crappie fishing relaxing, satisfying and rewarding on many levels, but it is pursued by some of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet - like most of the guys on this website. Good friends, good surroundings, good fishing - it makes that extra day you get that much more enjoyable.

txthumper1691
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I fish for crappie because its a fun way to get food. Its like fishing for perch, but big perch. I eat perch to, if they r big enough.

fish-wva
01-25-2009, 01:37 AM
time alone with god and nature. it's nice to go fishing and catch something that's why i crappie fish, they taste goooood and it's fun

The Lip RIPPERS
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
My son Josh told me the other day, Dad if you had not taken me fishin all those years I doubt I would ever taken it up, with all there is for young people to do nowadays...man i'm glad I did, no estate to leave behind, but an inheritence no one can give him.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/LipRippers/DSCI0006.jpg

kycreek
01-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I love seeing that cork go down. And taste great too.

PapermouthLegend
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Besides being a good eating fish, I think it's a challenge to find the bigger fish. I release alot of fish most people would have in the basket. I think the ease of catching them for the novice and the stalk of the big ones for the more experienced.
I live in Indiana, we are not allowed to set out structure in any way shape or form unless DNR oks it. So I go walking in the winter and early spring. I enjoy walking reservoirs at winter pool and marking structure on my GPS. It gives me time to think about how I'm gonna fish them as well.
They taste great, they are fun for everyone to catch, they will absolutely pound artificial baits, methods of catching them vary from, a bobber to spider-rigging or trolling. But catching and locating larger fish is the challenge and the fun for me.

Crappie Gobbler
01-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I LOVE IT!!!!

Stump hunter summed it all up for me. There is nothing like being on the lake at the crack of daylight on a frosty morning and watching the sun come up. I loose all my worries and really take the moment in to enjoy God's creations think about all the good things in life. Second, crappie fisherman are some of the best people around. They help each other out with techniques and will offer advice to catch fish anytime. Third, chasing crappie and figuring out how to catch them is a great challege in it self. Finally, crappie is the best freshwater fish to eat. I LOVE CRAPPIE FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):): ):):):):)