Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humminbird here I come, maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird here I come, maybe

Hey guys, since I haven't fished enough this fall to actually count as fishing, I have saved almost all of my "blow money" (Dave Ramsey tactic) and hoarded enough to get a Sidescan and replace my $50 walmart special (that now has a broken transducer mount)

797, 798, or .......

Keep in mind that I mostly fish Reelfoot, at least until I decide to quit my paying job and go into full time guiding/tournaments/commercial fishing, etc.

What do I need (maybe need is too strong of a word)?

Pros and cons,
    let it fly

rco

Post Thanks / Like

Who said anything about what you "need"?lol. Go for the biggest one you can afford. I'm gonna buy the 798 next month because I can't slip another $1000 past the wife. Believe me, if I could, I'd get the bigger screen.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

To me sidescan isn't that important at reelfoot.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To me sidescan ain't that important. Period.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I you can swing it, go for the 997. The large screen is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    To me sidescan ain't that important. Period.
    Have to agree, I don't use sidescan that much. But, I mostly troll, or fish shallow structure. I do like the large screen on the 997.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have one, but, still can't figure out how to read one of them split screens !
    Is it distance away from the boat, or, depth ????
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    I don't have one, but, still can't figure out how to read one of them split screens !
    Is it distance away from the boat, or, depth ????
    Here is a snapshot from my 997. The large jellyfish looking blob is a school of fish under a school of minnows.

Notice the bow icon in the middle at the top. This represents the bow of my boat. The dark area down the middle is what's directly under your boat. With side scan on by itself you don't really see clearly what's under the boat although you do see some things. Now, imagine yourself floating above the boat looking down on the water. Now, imagine that the water is not there, this is what you are seeing. I have my side scan set to 125' to either side of the boat. So from the center of the snapshot to the far right or left edge is 125'. I can estimate that the school of fish and baitfish are around 20'-30' to the right of my boat as I passed by them. I hope this helps.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Have to agree, I don't use sidescan that much. But, I mostly troll, or fish shallow structure. I do like the large screen on the 997.
    Best use I have for it is to find places to put stuff out so I want "enhance" somebody elses piles.

Want to use troll grid, but it just want update fast enough to get an accurate plot that has meaning so I can plot a map. Oh well. It a fun toy. I like the big screen too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    Here is a snapshot from my 997. The large jellyfish looking blob is a school of fish under a school of minnows.

Notice the bow icon in the middle at the top. This represents the bow of my boat. The dark area down the middle is what's directly under your boat. With side scan on by itself you don't really see clearly what's under the boat although you do see some things. Now, imagine yourself floating above the boat looking down on the water. Now, imagine that the water is not there, this is what you are seeing. I have my side scan set to 125' to either side of the boat. So from the center of the snapshot to the far right or left edge is 125'. I can estimate that the school of fish and baitfish are around 20'-30' to the right of my boat as I passed by them. I hope this helps.
    I saw your Ice picture. You one tough feller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast