Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lake girardeau

Post Thanks / Like

Default lake girardeau

i emailed the regional conservation office and asked them about the crappie population and if they where going to do any stocking of crappie and here is what i received today:

We have stocked black crappie twice in the last two years into Lake Girardeau. We stocked a total of 39,278 fingerlings, which comes out to 242 crappie per acre. Our trapnetting surveys last fall found most of these crappie were 8-9½” long and are growing fast. It appears that crappie fishing should be very good in the coming years. We only caught a few larger crappie up to 13+”.

Crappie have not spawned/produced a lot of young fish in several years so we decided to stock crappie to improve the fishery. Hopefully these fish will spawn successfully and produce lots of young. If not, we may need to stock more crappie in future years.

If you have any questions or want to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Mark Boone
    Fisheries Management Biologist
    Missouri Dept. of Conservation

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news!!! The Dead Sea used to be a great little crappie lake 20-30 years ago. I hope it comes back (since its about 10 minutes from my house).
    Thanks for the info.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

your welcome speck-yea thats alot of fingerlings-should be great fishin in the near future! a big thanks to mark boone and his crew!

Post Thanks / Like

My dad always talked about catching a bunch of crappie out there 20 years ago, but I fished it off and on a few summers ago and never had much luck.

Post Thanks / Like

yea it was awesome backin the day,we used to rent a boat and paddle the lake.my biggest crappie was caught on a crank bait there,it was 17 inches,back then i never thought of weighing it.heck maybe us ole timers fished it out! lol! i think the reason it went sour at LG is because of bad decisions and no one gave a dam about the lake. looks like they have someone in charge who knows what he is doing-we"ll see!

Post Thanks / Like

I've talked to Mark about The Block Hole Access and he didn't jerk me around and he got done what he said he was going to get done (some silt had washed up at the ramp and you couldn't even think about getting a boat in there). The great part about him is that he called me when it was done just like he said he was. This is great service from a gov. employee!

I have caught a few out at L.G. lately, nothing to brag about, but I think that I have found out where they are. Side imaging is wonderful! It would be nice if this little lake was at least a good option to fish because it is also just 15 minutes from my house!

Post Thanks / Like

Also I talked to a guy coming out of the Block Hole on Sunday and he had a limit of crappie that he had caught from the treetops in the diversion channel! They were big river crappie, with one almost 16". Looks like I'm going to have to give it a try, he told me how he was catching them!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEMOmike View Post
    Also I talked to a guy coming out of the Block Hole on Sunday and he had a limit of crappie that he had caught from the treetops in the diversion channel! They were big river crappie, with one almost 16". Looks like I'm going to have to give it a try, he told me how he was catching them!
    Let us know how you do Mike. But be careful. I hear rumors of a walleye or two being caught out of the Block Hole also.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

gl mike! i know during the fall a few fisherman in boats where fishing straight across from the ramp in the far corner in between the dam and 1st cove.
    they said there is a brush pile in that area, they looked to be fishing about 100-150 yds or so from the shoreline. they had their limit,but that was in the fall. i have no boat so thought id tell unz! lol

Post Thanks / Like

if all else fails at the block hole-ive always had good luck catching crappie and white bass where the rapids runs right into the block hole right against the rocks. mainly fishing plastic minnow replicas. gl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast