Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weedless Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless Jigs

Has anyone tried these “Bass Pro Shop Stickguards?” I’m thinking of trying some weedless jigs and found these and was wondering how they would work. I’ve been a little Leary of weedless jigs because of the very light bites we get; I was worried that the weedless part would be enough to make me miss more bites. But I’m now getting tried of tying on jigs instead of fishing. I know crappiepappy likes “Oldhams” I think, any other thoughts. I’ve not check price to see if the weedless jigs are cheaper than a regular jig and one of these “Stickguards” or not.

Bass Pro Stickguards
    Last edited by stray; 06-19-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: link didn't work

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Stickguard

The Stickguard™ pushes onto the hook therefore everytime you get a strike or catch a fish it experiences wear or tear. You can make a weedless lure yourself with some 40 lb test cheap line a small drill and super glue. see picture. It has enough resistance to make a 1/32 or 1/16 jig crawl over a limb.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow stray ....

looks like BPS has copied the "stickguard" made by Laker. I've tried the Laker version ... and like Whiz says - they tear up pretty quick (where the hook point is inserted). I've even tried the "dental rubber bands" trick (works, but a pain to rig).
    And you're right ... I've used Oldham's for a long time. They're a little expensive nowadays ($3.50/8pk) at my local tackleshop, but eight of them will last for quite some time ... especially when used in the timber.
    I also use a couple of models made by P&S Custom Tackle ... the brush guard style & a V "wing" version. Both have proved very effective.

Do I get hung up with weedless jigheads - yep! Sure do! But I get hung up a whole lot less than if I was using a jig without any kind of "guard". Hey - they claim to be "weedless" ... not "snagless" or "branchless" ....LOL !!

Light bites are a problem, regardless of what type jighead you use. But, since I am a "line watcher", and cast my jigs (most of the time), I "see" most of the bites at the instance they occur. And I've caught some that were biting pretty light. If I don't see or feel a bite - I don't know I've had one - so I don't worry about those. And I have about an equal ratio of "hookups" vs "hooksets", between weedless & non-weedless jigs .... I just prefer the weedless ones, because I'd rather spend my time fishing rather than tying.

All-in-all ... I think the Laker Stickguard is a little too soft. If the BPS version is a little stouter, it may work a little better. At $1.50/25pk - they're not very expensive. (just don't forget to factor in the S/H) If you decide to try them - please use the BPS link on this site.
    Whichever way you decide to go ........... luck2ya ........cp