Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on E-10 phase seperation issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Default More on E-10 phase seperation issue...

at this link:

E10 & BioFuel Information

Cane Pole and a few of us have been going around on this whole issue on another board, but it really fits best here so I tho't I'd start this thread to make sure everbody has a chance to check it out.

Pretty much sounds like installing filter/seperators is the way to go and is recommended by pretty much all motor manf., BUT...there are still some real risks that we boaters are facing inspite of all our attempts to get clean fuel. As this article and a couple others I've looked at state, Additives like Seafoam, marine Stabil, etc. cannot remedy water and phase seperation in E-10 mixes.

It prolly would be wise NOT to leave partial tanks of gas over extended periods, and like with deisel the best method for reducing the chance of moisture in the fuel would be to top off the tank I think. Additives are still a good thing, but not necessarily a sure-fire bet IMHO.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I challenge the wisdom of the EPA bureaucrats about the significant impact that ethanol will produce on improving the environment.

Here we are burning lots of fuel to raise corn to burn in cars that don't really need it to run and is/could be harmful to the vehicles. One thing I know for sure about all this is the fact that my corn flakes costs lots more money.

Ethanol does not increase mileage and is just another octane booster that the EPA really doesn't know for sure the long range environment impact. Wasn't too many years ago the EPA approved another additive that kills folks.

Stabil is misleading in their advertising.

Excuse the rant.....

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/tenne...g-you-all.html
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-19-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added link
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a note

Bill Lindsey, vice-president of marketing for Star brite, said his company's E10 additive, Star Tron, can stabilize E10 for up to one year. Here's how it works, according to Lindsey: "Star Tron enzyme fuel additive prevents phase separation by deionizing the fuel, which in layman's terms means neutralizing the electrical charges between water molecules. The deionization process breaks the electric bonds of the water molecules to prevent them from forming into large clusters or drops that then settle to the bottom of the tank. Thereby, the octane rating is left intact and the smaller, micron-size, suspended water molecules can be burned safely, right along with the gasoline portion of E10." Lindsey recommends adding Star Tron to E10 all the time, not just during lay-up; it helps keep the gasoline up to spec and to clean the fuel system as well. The Ethanol Promotion and Information Council agrees, suggesting the use of a fuel stabilizer any time E10 will sit in the tank for more than a month..

Mighty big claim here.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesnt WalMart sell Startron? Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Star Tron

Billy,

I did an internet search and found Star Tron at rivermarinesupply.com for $18.25 for 16oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Stabil and Star Tron are trying to get us hooked on their pricey products. I'm not saying they are not worth it, but if they can talk you into spending $20 a bottle for the rest of your boating life they have a pretty good thing going.

Post Thanks / Like

Canepole, In your post you mentioned "neutralizing electrical charges ." This makes me wonder. Are we in better shape with a plastic gas tank as opposed to a alum. one?
    Good,Fast,Cheap>Pick one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Bill Lindsey, vice-president of marketing for Star brite, said his company's E10 additive, Star Tron, can stabilize E10 for up to one year. Here's how it works, according to Lindsey: "Star Tron enzyme fuel additive prevents phase separation by deionizing the fuel, which in layman's terms means neutralizing the electrical charges between water molecules. The deionization process breaks the electric bonds of the water molecules to prevent them from forming into large clusters or drops that then settle to the bottom of the tank. Thereby, the octane rating is left intact and the smaller, micron-size, suspended water molecules can be burned safely, right along with the gasoline portion of E10." Lindsey recommends adding Star Tron to E10 all the time, not just during lay-up; it helps keep the gasoline up to spec and to clean the fuel system as well. The Ethanol Promotion and Information Council agrees, suggesting the use of a fuel stabilizer any time E10 will sit in the tank for more than a month..

Mighty big claim here.
    After seeing your posts about Star Tron I wondered what the stuff was that my boat shop suggested...Star Tron. They carry others, but they said it was the best w/ the E-10 fuels. Nice work Tom

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curado View Post
    Canepole, In your post you mentioned "neutralizing electrical charges ." This makes me wonder. Are we in better shape with a plastic gas tank as opposed to a alum. one?
    I don't know. The info was a copy and paste from Star Tron. This subject matter is in reference to chemical molecule charges (not electrons per se).

If it could be electrically neutralized, I could fix it. Chemistry is not my forte.

EPA suggests that a gas additive cannot prevent separation. I truly haven't a clue who is right or wrong.

The Ethanol additive is nothing but a quick shot from the hip from the government to calm the panic of the tree huggers.

Who knows the long term effect of Ethanol.

EPA is just another government bureaucracy. These folks will do anything to save their jobs or cover their butts.

First there was lead, then MTBE, now ethanol. What next? They just experimenting on us.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Cane Pole;669894]I don't know. The info was a copy and paste from Star Tron. This subject matter is in reference to chemical molecule charges (not electrons per se).

If it could be electrically neutralized, I could fix it. Chemistry is not my forte.

EPA suggests that a gas additive cannot prevent separation. I truly haven't a clue who is right or wrong.

The Ethanol additive is nothing but a quick shot from the hip from the government to calm the panic of the tree huggers.

Who knows the long term effect of Ethanol.

EPA is just another government bureaucracy. These folks will do anything to save their jobs or cover their butts.

First there was lead, then MTBE, now ethanol. What next? They just experimenting on us.[/
    QUOTE]

You said that right!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast